Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

Dont tell me your one of those folks that watch those kids behind the bleachers kick paper cups around and judge the future based on it. You know, the kind of guy like Termite was referring to. Dont tell me Maynord is dodging a bad year or 2 down the road.

I seriously doubt he was thinking about a down year. Hes had not so great years here before. Really cant judge 2 years from now today. Kids grow and things start clicking. Besides the freshman class from this year isnt too shabby. Needs some work of course but should certainly be competitive.

I think when the smoke clears people will appreciate what coach maynord has done for the owls and their program. That being said it will also be an opportunity to bring a new coach with new ideas that maybe able to take the program to even a higher level. I am sure that many coaches will find this a coveted job....change is not always a bad thing. I think the schedule will be challenging and the out going coach did not do his former school any favors by lining up Alcoa the first game. the carthage community will support whoever is hired and when fall comes around it will all be about owl football again.

Dont tell me your one of those folks that watch those kids behind the bleachers kick paper cups around and judge the future based on it. You know, the kind of guy like Termite was referring to. Dont tell me Maynord is dodging a bad year or 2 down the road.

No I'm not one of those people . I watch our team on the field and what we have when our 2nd and 3rd strings come in and the way those play. I hope SC gets the very best coach for the job. But, I also know that we have some big shoe positions to fill the next couple of years.

Coach Maynord spent 14 years at SC. Most SC fans should and do appreciate the job he did upgrading our program. The facility upgrades are incredible for a public school our size. His teams were always well coached...very disciplined teams. I think too many have short memories of what it was like before he came. I think he felt it was time to move on for various reasons. I am quite sure he will do very well at Cookeville. I wish him and the ones going with him all the best. Maybe SC can get someone to keep the program from stepping back. It will be a tall order because of the pay scale here. I will continue to be optimistic until there is a reason not to be.

Got his time in.....30 years. Stepped down from being principle on his own.

So he "stepped down" with no loss in pay? A drivers ed job that pays around $60,000 a year and everyone in town lining up to pay $2500 a pop to join his scam. You Carthrage fans should really think long and hard before making jokes about what Pemberton was paid. :flower:

So he "stepped down" with no loss in pay? A drivers ed job that pays around $60,000 a year and everyone in town lining up to pay $2500 a pop to join his scam. You Carthrage fans should really think long and hard before making jokes about what Pemberton was paid. :flower:

All this talk about Coach Maynord leaving SC for a better job, better pay, saving 70 miles a day travel time to/from work is starting to get ridiculous. Look at the facts why the man is leaving. Also look at the shape of the program as it is now as it was before he came, tremendous facilities under his guidance and the number of students he influenced in a very positive way. This influence not only from athletes but the entire student body as he being principal. I would put the discipline at SCHS with any school in the state. As far as pay Coach receives, any additional pay would be the result of being head coach and principal, each carries a supplement for the job assignment. It is the people who don't live in SC that are complaining about Coach Maynord, not the ones who have reaped the benefits of having Coach for 14 years. Now, SC will select a coach that best fits the program here at SC and will do the best he can. He should be able to bring assistants with him, have 90 plus kids out for football with exceptional community support and very good facilities to work with. Reading what some posters from other towns post, you can see why they have very weak programs because they show the idiological support of their program. You are what you post!! As for as people saying the program will be down in a few years, All programs go thru ups and downs, but SC graduates 20 to 25 players each year. SC will reload each year and be competitive each year. Oh yes, one final point, how many times do you see Smith County posters slamming other teams? You might say: TC-DOS- that occured years ago, it is over with and the only time SC posters talk about it is when someone else brings it up and we defend our position. I don't know any posters from SC that will degrade a program, possible I could have missed one though.

Great post.

All this talk about Coach Maynord leaving SC for a better job, better pay, saving 70 miles a day travel time to/from work is starting to get ridiculous. Look at the facts why the man is leaving. Also look at the shape of the program as it is now as it was before he came, tremendous facilities under his guidance and the number of students he influenced in a very positive way. This influence not only from athletes but the entire student body as he being principal. I would put the discipline at SCHS with any school in the state. As far as pay Coach receives, any additional pay would be the result of being head coach and principal, each carries a supplement for the job assignment. It is the people who don't live in SC that are complaining about Coach Maynord, not the ones who have reaped the benefits of having Coach for 14 years. Now, SC will select a coach that best fits the program here at SC and will do the best he can. He should be able to bring assistants with him, have 90 plus kids out for football with exceptional community support and very good facilities to work with. Reading what some posters from other towns post, you can see why they have very weak programs because they show the idiological support of their program. You are what you post!! As for as people saying the program will be down in a few years, All programs go thru ups and downs, but SC graduates 20 to 25 players each year. SC will reload each year and be competitive each year. Oh yes, one final point, how many times do you see Smith County posters slamming other teams? You might say: TC-DOS- that occured years ago, it is over with and the only time SC posters talk about it is when someone else brings it up and we defend our position. I don't know any posters from SC that will degrade a program, possible I could have missed one though.

I think when the smoke clears people will appreciate what coach maynord has done for the owls and their program. That being said it will also be an opportunity to bring a new coach with new ideas that maybe able to take the program to even a higher level. I am sure that many coaches will find this a coveted job....change is not always a bad thing. I think the schedule will be challenging and the out going coach did not do his former school any favors by lining up Alcoa the first game. the carthage community will support whoever is hired and when fall comes around it will all be about owl football again.

People here at SC DO appreciate the work Coach Maynord accomplished - only those away from here don't like it - as if that matters to us.

Anyone know any names for sure

The school will not release names of those applying. The applicant will have to release his name if desired. Most of the time, applicants don't want name released to the public due to not wanting "home folks" to know.

Edited by scooter