Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

Thats the programs im talking about. Your alcoas and your maryvilles. Trousdale ill give you. Allways see the same names there. But however i just dont see little johnnies parents up and moving so a kid can play high school football at a "better school" i mean. I enjoy watching it dont get me wrong. But the probability of making it big time is slim. If your that good a player youll get recognized no matter where you are wont you?

I've always been bigtime.. 4 real!!

Thats the programs im talking about. Your alcoas and your maryvilles. Trousdale ill give you. Allways see the same names there. But however i just dont see little johnnies parents up and moving so a kid can play high school football at a "better school" i mean. I enjoy watching it dont get me wrong. But the probability of making it big time is slim. If your that good a player youll get recognized no matter where you are wont you?

Parents of star athletes will move to schools where scouts are in and out of the school on a regular basis. Possibly a scout will be looking at another athlete but will notice another athlete on film and get his name circulated. Many times you hear of coaches interested in one athlete and wind up more interested in another that they saw on film.

Anyway. Id say everybody that wants to apply for the job has. Lets not wait around hoping john gruden applies for the job.Boys are probably getting anxious wanting to know who their new leader is gonna be. Let the interview process begin.

I don't know if there is a cut off date or not. I agree about the interviews getting started, if they haven't started, they should begin.

Ever wonder how these football programs with multiple championships do it? Do they practice year round? Recruit players? Gotta be doin somethin. And dont tell me its all coaching. You can only do so much with the talent you have and i can assure you these championship programs dont have that caliber of talent year in and year out withought getting some kind of edge somewhere. Id like to be a fly on the wall at some of these schools and just see what goes on there.

Not all about the X's and O's. Got to have the Jimmy and Joe's too. Good coaching helps in the fact they make poor players average, average players good, good players great, and great players go to the next level. Bill Walsh would find it difficult to coach a kid 5'9" 155 lbs that runs a 4.8 to cover a 6'2" 195 lb receiver that runs a 4.5. One small step in the wrong direction and the receiver is gone.

Alcoa not only has the good athletes and talent, they have good coaching and a great program. The entire program from youth up through the middle school and high school work together. They run the same or very similar system, use the same wording, and build on each other. When the kids get in high school, they already know how to block and tackle, have good technique, and know the system. High school smoothes out the rough edges and build on top of the foundation. Plus practices are very intense and physical. I'm sure several teams have similar programs.

Alcoa not only has the good athletes and talent, they have good coaching and a great program. The entire program from youth up through the middle school and high school work together. They run the same or very similar system, use the same wording, and build on each other. When the kids get in high school, they already know how to block and tackle, have good technique, and know the system. High school smoothes out the rough edges and build on top of the foundation. Plus practices are very intense and physical. I'm sure several teams have similar programs.

Good post!!

do we not do a good job of that in smith county? Staying on the same page from youth through high school? It would certainly benifit the program from youth up if we did. Probably help the program more if we did a better job working on our not so talented players too. Never know when one of them could step up and make an impact. But i know theres only so much you can do and theres only so many hours in the day. Edited by Hsfootballnut

What about Steve Robbins the recently hired principal at Smith Co. He was an LA guy back in the 90's when LA knocked on the door of a state title. Steve left Livingston and went to GA. and coached their several yrs before landing at Boyd Buch. HS where he coached LB'S and was Defensive Cord. several yrs. I believe Boyd might have won a state title during Steve's tenure there not sure though. IMO Steve would be the right choice since he is already in the system and his experience. He also coaches Baseball and played at Cumberland out of HS. A fine person with great christian morals. Steve would not only be a great coach for the Owls but his influence on the kids would be priceless. Sign up for the job "Policy Holder".

What about Steve Robbins the recently hired principal at Smith Co. He was an LA guy back in the 90's when LA knocked on the door of a state title. Steve left Livingston and went to GA. and coached their several yrs before landing at Boyd Buch. HS where he coached LB'S and was Defensive Cord. several yrs. I believe Boyd might have won a state title during Steve's tenure there not sure though. IMO Steve would be the right choice since he is already in the system and his experience. He also coaches Baseball and played at Cumberland out of HS. A fine person with great christian morals. Steve would not only be a great coach for the Owls but his influence on the kids would be priceless. Sign up for the job "Policy Holder".

I think that would be something to consider. Only problem is the headache some create when a principal takes on the hc role also. Some folk around here would say he gave special treatment to his players during school. Etc. etc. probably a bunch of malarky but definately a headache for any hc/principal.

do we not do a good job of that in smith county? Staying on the same page from youth through high school? It would certainly benifit the program from youth up if we did. Probably help the program more if we did a better job working on our not so talented players too. Never know when one of them could step up and make an impact. But i know theres only so much you can do and theres only so many hours in the day.

Don't know about SC. I asked an Alcoa coach a few years ago how their program was so successful and that is the answer he told me. I'm not saying it is right or wrong for any particular team. That's just how they do it. It sounded pretty good to me.