Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

I think that would be something to consider. Only problem is the headache some create when a principal takes on the hc role also. Some folk around here would say he gave special treatment to his players during school. Etc. etc. probably a bunch of malarky but definately a headache for any hc/principal.

Very true nut...but I believe you can search high and low and you want find many coaches that has his credentials, especially the ones that are just beginning to look for their 1st head coaching job.

I believe if my memory serves me right, that Steve was on the staff at Boyd when the Owls went down to Boyd in the play-offs for a couple yrs. Believe the Owls split with Boyd but could be wrong. Owls might have won 2 out of the 3 times they played Boyd ? Either way Owls fans know what kind of team Boyd had during those yrs.

Yes...RC..Steve is the man in charge of the search for the new coach. Unless he recommends himself...and I don't think he wants it...I think he will find the right fit.

Yes...RC..Steve is the man in charge of the search for the new coach. Unless he recommends himself...and I don't think he wants it...I think he will find the right fit.

Hey Twan...ok thanks . I talked to Steve back earlier in the year at White Co./ Smith Co. game. He told me then that if Jimmy ever did step down that he would consider the job. Either way you Smith Co. ppl are getting LA's best seems like. Steve is a great person and will give you all his best. Good luck on the search for a coach.

Hey Twan...ok thanks . I talked to Steve back earlier in the year at White Co./ Smith Co. game. He told me then that if Jimmy ever did step down that he would consider the job. Either way you Smith Co. ppl are getting LA's best seems like. Steve is a great person and will give you all his best. Good luck on the search for a coach.

Thanks...my friend. For all I know Steve could have put in. He would be the one to know. :D He could be the best candidate.

Hey Chair - Glad to hear from you. Hope the health problems are all better. LA will be very competitive next year.

Thats the programs im talking about. Your alcoas and your maryvilles. Trousdale ill give you. Allways see the same names there. But however i just dont see little johnnies parents up and moving so a kid can play high school football at a "better school" i mean. I enjoy watching it dont get me wrong. But the probability of making it big time is slim. If your that good a player youll get recognized no matter where you are wont you?

I can give you one instance anyway that "little johnnie's" parents moved a kid to play, beacuse it happened to the Cavs.

Juicy Locke moved to Murfreesboro years ago so his son, Eric Locke, could play for Riverdale. Took Eric's cousin, Todd Howard with them. They were both born & raised in Cookeville and played here through 8th grade. Rumor has it that Juicy got some kind of job with the school system too but don't know about that.

And it paid off I guess because Eric won back to back Mr. Football awards and 2 state championships I believe. I think Todd Howard was all state as a tailback his senior year too.

Coach Maynord may have been on Riverdale's staff at that time(?)

Love to have that one back cause I'm sure Eric could've won the same awards (if not the championships) at Cookeville. He was that good back then.

What he did with his football career after that is another story...

Hey Chair - Glad to hear from you. Hope the health problems are all better. LA will be very competitive next year.

Hey Scoot whats up. Yeah I'm hanging in there for an old man. As for LA, I believe they will have a good team in a yr or 2. They lost just about their whole OL. McCoin and Hayes are gone off to the next level as will big Linder on the DL. Ronnie's lil brother will be a bright spot for the Cats the next 3 yrs as a RB. I just hope that the Cats don't get 1 dimensional and depend on Linder to carry the load. We have a great REC. in Hollars that was a freshman this past yr. If the Cats can get the ball to him it will ease the load a lot. I wish you all the best in your coaching search.

Some people forget Alcoa was winning Gold Balls before Rankin got there on talent alone. He instilled the discipline. There is this thing called "Open Zoning" in Blount County. Unless Smith County does the same thing, there is no "Next Level" for a coaching staff to take SC to. The next HC here will be expected to MAINTAIN success but you're a fool if you think there is a next level. We could always go Private / Funding then there would be a Next Level it would just be with kids not from here. For 14 years this staff has got the absolute most out of their players. Round of Applause!!

Some people forget Alcoa was winning Gold Balls before Rankin got there on talent alone. He instilled the discipline. There is this thing called "Open Zoning" in Blount County. Unless Smith County does the same thing, there is no "Next Level" for a coaching staff to take SC to. The next HC here will be expected to MAINTAIN success but you're a fool if you think there is a next level. We could always go Private / Funding then there would be a Next Level it would just be with kids not from here. For 14 years this staff has got the absolute most out of their players. Round of Applause!!

Your right. The current staff has done a great job of maintaining a solid competitive program. Some years with less than great talent. Hats off to them no doubt. Never now. May get us a gold or a silver one day. Just takes work.

Agree big man...how you doing. Great point !! In order to go to the next level it would require an open zone for Smith Co. Or going private. I really do believe it will take some pretty darn good coaches, ones that would commit the time and effort like Jimmy and his staff have done while at SC. Wish Jimmy the best at Cookeville and wish the Owls good luck in finding that right person to carry on one of the best programs in the state. Edited by Rocking Chair

Agree big man...how you doing. Great point !! In order to go to the next level it would require an open zone for Smith Co. Or going private. I really do believe it will take some pretty darn good coaches, ones that would commit the time and effort like Jimmy and his staff have done while at SC. Wish Jimmy the best at Cookeville and wish the Owls good luck in finding that right person to carry on one of the best programs in the state.

Good greif, their heads are big enough over there in Carthage why did you have to go and say this kind of stuff Rocking Chair? Laying all bull aside, Maynord will be a hard act to follow with what he's done over there. He came from a 5A school that won championships(Riverdale). I feel this really gives a coach in a smaller school a huge advantage. He came in looking to play one way football. I'm speaking of the opposite of iron man football. From what Ive seen in my days of watching football, its hard to go away from riding your best horse in the ground. Sometimes it takes knowing how to distribute the players you have and keep them rested. He also was pretty good about making adjustments. I do respect what Smith Co. has done with their football program. Its came along way since the thrashing we gave them back in the day.