11-AA Thread

31ballfan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 3rd coach in last 5 years would be accurate. 2 years has been the norm for the last 3 coaches and there was an interim in 2007 after Frasier.

The last head coach to come in with head coaching experience was Allen Collins I believe. Not that it's a prerequisite but it put's things in perspective.

I might be off a year here or there on Frasiers start up dates.

Marc Walls- 2012&13- Came as 3rd asst from Clarksville

Donny Jones- 2010&11- Came from asst gigs at Station Camp and Portland

Ryan Philipp- 2008&09- Came from girls softball head coach at Harpeth. Former player

Wade Walters- 2007- Came from JPII in volunteer asst capacity. Never started season. Went to regions with an interim coach.

Brad Frasier- 2002?-2006- Came from Cheatham, assisted Clint Finch at Harpeth and took over around this time.

Clint Finch- Don't know dates- Assisted Allen Collins.

The M.O. has been to hire young (and cheap) baseball guys with head coaching aspirations and see what happens. Sometimes the results are good and sometimes not so good.

Of those Finch, Frasier and Jones came in with experience at least as lead assistants with programs that had some success. To me, that should be the minimum requirement. I think many of our head coaches would have been better served to get their coaching experience under an experienced mentor instead of learning on the fly.

That's not their fault.

Edited by ksgovols

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything through the grapevine about a hire. There's a lot of baseball openings across the state with some pretty good jobs coming open like USJ, Dyer County, Lebanon and Jackson Southside off the top of my head. USJ in particular will draw attention from coaches all across the state. Somebody leaving a solid program for one of those will have a trickle down effect. Typically, the new coach comes in around July 1. Parents or volunteers will have to run summer ball or not. It's happened both ways. I think the incoming freshmen will keep their travel ball team together.

Edited by ksgovols

Oops. Yep. I glanced through the Jackson Sun and picked up Coach Dyer's name. Sorry Coach Preston! Functional dyslexia strikes again. The USJ job is interesting to me. It's a Goodpasture type job and it will be interesting to see who winds up there. I think several current head coaches will be interested in that one. Brentwood has an opening as well.

Edited by ksgovols