End of the Year Awards!

MemPD

I'm still trying to figure out how coach Bradley at germantown is in the wrestling hall of fame... His accomplishments as a coach are nothin compared to cbhs Lewis and he's not in the hall of fame... Must be political party

Here is post below when Tony Bradley was inducted into the TN hall of fame...

thoughtiwonit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

I wrestled for Tony Bradley at germantown, and I don't know if there is a better coach. Granted he doesn't have state champs every year like a Steve Henry or Gordon Connell, but the man invests in the kids he coaches. Apparently the fact he is getting inducted into the HOF hasn't even been announced at his school, which shows the way west TN feels about wrestling. I love the man. I am twenty-four years old and now coaching, and I still can't call him anything but Coach Bradley. I don't know if I could have gotten through high school without him. As for a funny story I can't think of one off the top of my head; what I do remember is that you had better pay attention when he was giving instruction, because if you didn't he would "wrestle" with you. Coach Bradley wasn't much on yelling, but after he broke you, you payed attention

Here's Coach Bradley's bio from a couple of years ago, the state placers is probably closer to 50 now.

Tony Bradley

G-Town coach 29yrs.

Record 349-157-4

Region champs 8yrs

43 state placers

3 State champs

Coach of yr 6 times

Wrestling Hall of Fame 09

Impressive numbers! Not saying that West TN wrestling does not need to improve, it does, some of the Region 8 brackets were scary in terms of the low numbers of participation. But you asked what Coach Bradley has done and here it is. Have to give credit for accomplishments.

• Upvote 1

As of today, there are 851 views on this post. Not one person has come forward to say something positive about the guys that are heading up these high school programs. I am shocked! No not really. I truly believe that everyone feels the same as I do. It’s a shame. You have three really good athletic schools that are under achieving in wrestling all because of the leadership. I hear from several in our club that Germantown use to be a big Power House not only in the Memphis areas but across the state. What in the world happened? If you’re still trying to guess, I’ll tell you. JS happened. The way he treats his wrestlers and those involved with Germantown may be different. (And I can only hope it is.) But the way he treated young wrestlers and confused parents at the “Youth City Championships†was horrible. The way he treats and disrespects every other coach in the area is horrible. The way he carries his snub little attitude is horrible. And last, (for now) his ego is through the roof. Not even the Great Dan Gable, who has done everything there is to do in this sport, has an ego as big as JS. Mr. Simpson, what have you done in your life that gives you the right to treat people the way you do?

Please, if there’s anyone out there that can give me something positive here. I would love to think better of Mr. JS.

With the right coaching and leadership, over his 4 year high school career, Sidney Blackwood couldve easily been a state champion. In my opinion

"With the right coaching and leadership, over his 4 year high school career, Sidney Blackwood couldve easily been a state champion. In my opinion"

I feel like this is true about any wrestler ever. If the other guy hasn't shown up I could have been a state champ. At some point the kid has to execute. Coach Bradley and Simpson give their kids the tools and support to win. They do an awesome job with the kids they have. As for Simpson costing his team the region; he screwed up and apologized. Imagine that a grown man admitting his mistake and humbling himself asking for forgiveness. That's no role model these kids today need. What a joke. Mempd, if you are so unimpressed with the leadership in your town, do something about it. Be the change you want to see in others...coach freestyle in the spring or volunteer at a high school.

Edited by thoughtiwonit

And 2years ago Eric Oliver def should've won state but Simpson was so focused on Kendall Kermick that he never warmed up with Eric like he did kendall

The time frame for your accusation makes no sense. Kendall was finished by the afternoon. Oliver didn't wrestle until seven that night. At what point does Oliver get warmed up? The parade of champions? When the coaches are in their suits? Oliver had just as much chance as fuerenbacher in ot.

Gosh…where to start…

A few items:

1. AHS, in fact, only carries 25-30 on a good year (28 this year according to NWCA). Historically the program has carried about 20-25 wrestlers on average through any given season. Nowhere near the 40+ you quoted. This is factually incorrect.

2. With respect to Coach Cordero you ignore the fact that Cordova opened in the 1997-1998 school year with one freshman class of between 300-400 kids. It did not populate a full complement of students until 2000-2001. It was essentially a start-up program which he left after about six years. How much success did you expect him to have in this time?

3. Cordero leaves Cordova to start up another program at Arlington in SY 2004-2005. He goes through the exact same situation except that now the program is a whopping 8 years old. I can’t believe he hasn’t already won 5 state team titles in that time?

4. I don’t know what Coach Cordero will accomplish at AHS but the fact that he established a feeder program four years ago tells me he knows “a little†about what it takes to have a good program. That feeder is now a mature program and is just starting to pay dividends for the school. Expect good things to happen.

5. Every program goes through times of “feast and famine†and the sample size of years you use to judge Coach Cordero on is laughably small at either Cordova or Arlington.

6. I would not be exhorting any coach to leave a program given the state of HS wrestling in Shelby County. There is no dearth of HS wrestling coaches lining up to take over wrestling programs in the Memphis area. Didn't Ridgeway shut down for a few years due in large part to their coach leaving the program? White Station shut down since their coach stepped down as well. Be careful what you ask for.

7. The program at AHS has had some success despite being a relative newcomer. Didn't they win the region championship five years back in their fourth year of existence and go to the state duals tournament? I don't recall anyone calling for the heads of the long established programs' head coaches for losing the region title to a school had was only four years old.

8. Arlington has an enrollment of right about 2300 students but the average enrollment over the last 6 years has been 1,990. Going back to 2005 would drop this number closer to 1,700 because of the way they populated the school gradually year after year on start up. By comparison Germantown, another large school, has had an average enrollment of 1797 during that same time. It’s fair to say that AHS is a big school but I don’t think that it has some inherent advantage over every other school in the county or state simply because of this.

It makes sense that in public schools (i.e. non recruiting schools) the size of the student body should correlate to success in sports. No argument there. But I think that it is more important to the long term success of a program to have a wrestling culture or heritage. Having a great coaching staff is the biggest part of this but it takes more than that. It takes a feeder system of some type, institutional support from the school, and time to establish the culture. If you look at perennial powerhouses in D1 you may find that they don’t rank in the top twenty in student enrollment. Bradley Central came in at just under 1,600 in 2012 and and Cleveland at 1,297. I was curious to see how one of the top public programs in the country compared so I looked at St. Paris Graham in Ohio, a perennial top school nationally, and producer many NCAA D1 wrestlers. They must be massive…try approximately 660-670 students and 32 teachers. All things being equal size matters but coaching, institutional support, culture/heritage trump it.

In short, you are way off base and over the line in calling for Coach Cordero’s ouster. Calling him names is a just a personal attack. All that does is call into question your motives, credibility, and character. Take a deep breath; settle down; and try to be constructive. If not, how about simply showing some common decency and not denigrating people who are out there actually TRYING to make a difference.

Ivan Pagan

• Upvote 1