AA Basketball: Who Comes Back Strong?

bballer1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA returns four starters. Before this years tourney I would have said that they would be the favorite, but CAK will probably be. Elizabethton will also be right in the mix as well. Cannon may still have Sissom and Walkup, but there's a strong chance they may not make it out of Region.

Honestly the two 8-AA teams going to substate will be a tossup. That district will have at least four, maybe five, teams that can hold their own in the state tourney.

Elizabethon, LA, Westview, CAK, McMinn Central, Cannon County all have good young talent. I know CPA and Macon loses some quality players, but I know they have some good young ones as well.

I would think that CPA will need a rebuilding year or two before getting back to state. They have quite a group of eight graders coming up that includes another LeGate at 6 feet +. But it may take some time.

I would think that CPA will need a rebuilding year or two before getting back to state. They have quite a group of eight graders coming up that includes another LeGate at 6 feet +. But it may take some time.

CPA may be back quicker than you think. In 2011, we had just lost Reedy, Butler and Griffin and we were a shot away from going to sub-state. I never dreamed our young talent would have matured that quick. Lot of people from GC thinks if Russell would have stayed, they would have made a run in the Boro that year. We were tied and missed a layup at the buzzer to win the Region-Semis with a coach that got fired the next year. CPA runs a high low offense to perfection. Their young talent looks good and may be better than you think. But anyway, congratulations on back to back. Your girls showed a lot of heart and a lot of want to especially being down in the last two games.

CPA may be back quicker than you think. In 2011, we had just lost Reedy, Butler and Griffin and we were a shot away from going to sub-state. I never dreamed our young talent would have matured that quick. Lot of people from GC thinks if Russell would have stayed, they would have made a run in the Boro that year. We were tied and missed a layup at the buzzer to win the Region-Semis with a coach that got fired the next year. CPA runs a high low offense to perfection. Their young talent looks good and may be better than you think. But anyway, congratulations on back to back. Your girls showed a lot of heart and a lot of want to especially being down in the last two games.

I agree, I never thought they would win it out of all those teams. With all they had lost.

c.a.k.-elizabethon-L.A.-cannon-macon-york-D.L.-westview-

This is a solid list. I would like to add Alcoa the list. 21-12 this year with wins over several highly ranked teams at the time they played, including Creekwood, Fulton, CAK, McMinn Central, White County and Gatlinburg Pittman. Their 12 losses included 3 to CAK (two of which were really close games until "gotta foul" time), 2 to Elizabethton (including the substate game at Etown where Alcoa lost there best player 38 seconds into the game and still had it to a 3 point game with about 3 minutes left in 4th), 1 to McMinn Central, 1 to LA, 1 to BradCentral, 1 to Bearden, and 1 to GP (in a 1pt game with a free throw after time had expired. I am confident if the officiating for the game was reviewed 2 of the 3 officials would never ref TSSAA again)

They will play a tough schedule again next year I'm sure, and it will be tough to get past substate with all the talented returning teams in the two regions, but they could make some noise barring injury.

Edited by Notawalk

This will be a challenge for MC with Joe Young stepping aside to persue a college coaching career. But I believe Johnny Morgan will find a suitable replacement and the Chargerettes will be just fine. Too much returning talent to not make some noise. Add that to the return of Myers, who missed the entire year due to shoulder surgery, plus a ton of incoming freshman, and I think the Chargerettes will make another run at the " Boro."