Joe Young steps down at McMinn Central

bballer1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny's right hand man and wasn't he the Jr High or Middle school coach?

Joe coached at a county elementary school until a few years ago. What is important is how this will affect McMinn Central girls basketball. All the non-local girls playing for Central came there BECAUSE of Joe Young, not Johnny Morgan. Morgan's season winning went up about 20% after Joe Young started helping him. That isn't a coincidence since it's well known that Joe is the brains and the heartbeat of the program. Morgan has enough young talent now to make it to substate the next couple of years, but his feeder system of the out of area talent may start drying up when Joe isn't there. I predict Morgan will resign after 2014 or 2015.

I will agree that many girls came to Central because of Joe Young. But as long as Central makes a strong hire, I don't think anything will change. I believe you will still see the same players come to Central Next year. Young will still work with the Fire program and it will continue to put out good, quality players. Yes, Centrals record was much better when Young came on board. But Johnny Morgan is a legend. Put two great coaches together and the results speak for themselves. The true winner here is Jeff Rice and TWC. You will not find another coach that can teach the game from a fundamental standpoint like Joe Young. I personally think that he could have named his ticket to many places but this was a good fit for him and his family. MC will miss him but they will be back and in the mix as usual.

Interesting. I wonder why he resigned.

I would say that deep down, he did not want to leave CHS. I believe that he really wants to watch his children play ball. He did what is most important to him and his family. That is very important to some people. I have to admire him for leaving something he's worked so hard to build, so that he can be a dad for a while. Family is important to Joe Young and that shows you what kind of person this man is!

It's just a hunch..........but I think he will be back :)

• 2 weeks later...

The question remains who will Johnny Morgan hire as his assistant? According to those close to the situation, Johnny wants to hire a proven head coach who can take over the practices and actually be the head coach like Joe Young was. Johnny's record was very average before Joe Young came along so it's pretty well known that Johnny can't be successful unless he has someone who can do all these things. Alcoa head coach Tonya Gay is leading the rumor list so the booster club will probably have to kick in some major $$ in order to get her. Even if Jonny can't get her or someone who can run the program, he will step down from coaching within a couple years.

I think it would be hard for Coach Johnson to leave Alcoa even to go coach at her old high school, teachers salary at Alcoa is one of the highest in the area. Also why give up a head coaching position to be an assistant.

Maybe the money isn't the only thing that is important to her. Also, if the rumor is true and Coach Morgan does step down in a couple of years, why not learn from a Hall of Fame coach with the opportunity to take over a powerhouse program at your alma mater in a few years.