BCAT unsigned senior games at MTCS WHAT A JOKE!

4changes

This was very disappointing. It was suppose to be for unsigned seniors to have a fair chance to play in front of college coaches for possible recuritment. Well this was not the case! Dekalb High School coaches were there with their players. Just so happens they get to coach the team their players is on. The rules were suppose to be the coaches substitute 5 players every 5 minutes so that all players get equal playing time. Dekalb coaches DID NOT do this. Their players played the whole time while the other players may have got 3 minutes of playing time if they were lucky. The last game 3 players didn't get to play at all!!! The guy "Tim" that was over this "showcase" was informed but did nothing about it. First of all Dekalb coaches should not have been allowed to coach their own players. There were other coaches there with their players but they coached other players not their own. Dekalb coaches should have been considerate to all players they were coaching and let all players get equal time to "showcase" their talents. After all, thats what this was suppose to be about right??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. I was there. "Talent" was "showcased" in the first four games and that's why the players that GOT to play in that last game did.

If you were really there, looked around at who was there watching, and thought that was legit, you're crazy.

Sorry little Jimmy wasn't discovered by Duke....

Anyone knows that a player serious about playing at the next level has to take it upon THEMSELVES, along with help from their coaches, to get there game films out there.

Honestly, there were maybe thirty people there aside from the players, and they all looked to be parents.

Edited by dctiger

I'm also glad to know you knew EVERY player there, where they were from, and made sure that they weren't playing for their coach.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good thing for te kids there to have one last day of high school basketball, but I saw very few, if any, ready to play college ball.

Edited by dctiger

I was at the games/workout because I had a player playing. It was done well. There were about 44-45 kids there to play. Teams were pretty even. They played for 2 hours. It was free for the kids and the HS coaches, I was told, volunteered their time. Also I counted at least 16 schools represented that came as college recruiters who were also not charged a fee to come all and all a good event by BCAT!!!!

Braxton Atnip and Sonni Fullilove. Stephen Howell was supposed to be there as well but everyone knows the circumstances behind that now....

Like I said, it was a great, well done event. But for the first group of games (9-11 am), there was hardly anyone there besides the families of the players. But I was a bit surprised that for half of the games, the ones played on the upper level, no time or score was kept because there was no scoreboard.

It was also a bit irritating that players weren't even provided with water of any kind. I saw one person buy almost our whole team bottles of water from the concession stand.

As for the playing time complaint, every player on the team coached by DeKalbs coach got EQUAL playing time until the last game, which was a 5 minute mock-championship game, that the team won by one point on a late shot by Fullilove.

Edited by dctiger

I didn't know who many of the players were either, but the team Atnip and Fullilove played on when undefeated and beat every team by double digits until that last game. And yes, Atnip and Fullilove were key players on that team, along with a guard from Warren County and a guard from Cumberland.

Atnip and Fullilove DID start every game, and each time the team jumped out to a pretty big lead, so take that for what it's worth. IMO DeKalb was very well represented.

I also see that you're creeping up on 1000 posts..congrats!

Edited by dctiger

Heard the parent complaining was a Warren Co parent. Man the game was for fun. Oh well their is parents out there that think their kid is Lebron. Everything I heard was relayed to me was unable to attend. Parent chews Cope out. Lol, surprised Cope didn't retaliate. Oh well Cope did right thing. Atnip said they won all games. Congrats boys and Pat Cope for his work. Atnip said Martin didn't coach him said he, was obligated to the Sr signed game. Congratulations to both DC coaches. Big honors for our community. Lets get ready for baseball.

Edited by Stealer007

First of all dctiger who do you think you are to say who got to play or not!!! The boys were there to get equal playing time (thats what they were told and thats what you were told) this was the purpose of the showcase!!! Second, if you think your "post" player was better than WC post player you are really sad! Let me guess dctiger this is as good as it will get for you right? You don't have the capablilites to go further in your career as a coach so you have to brag and showcase your boys to somehow make you feel adequate! The truth of the matter is my son has already decided where he is going, we were told by our coach to go and see who was there and keep our options open but in the big scheme of things there were no coaches there that mattered. So why am I so upset? Because YOU purposely didn't play the 2 WC players. But you just keep on defending yourself, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I was there and I saw the games. The playing time was even throughout and the last games were 5 minutes in length so it was situational like the end of a game. Something that many coaches look for when they recruit players. They probably didn't play your the Warren County kids because they weren't as good as the others pure and simple. The BCAT is doing alot of good for basketball state wide, many don't realize this and they would not puposely cater to one group of kids. I would say it was purely a BASKETBALL decision if those kids didn't play. Also, this is a free event that most kids would have to pay $50 to $100 to participate in so don't complain when they had the previous 1 hour and 45 minutes to prove to everyone they could play

I was there and I saw the games. The playing time was even throughout and the last games were 5 minutes in length so it was situational like the end of a game. Something that many coaches look for when they recruit players. They probably didn't play your the Warren County kids because they weren't as good as the others pure and simple. The BCAT is doing alot of good for basketball state wide, many don't realize this and they would not puposely cater to one group of kids. I would say it was purely a BASKETBALL decision if those kids didn't play. Also, this is a free event that most kids would have to pay $50 to $100 to participate in so don't complain when they had the previous 1 hour and 45 minutes to prove to everyone they could play

Exactly! The event is free for the kids to play and the coaches are volunteering their time! ( On a SATURDAY) Not to mention the Tim guy you referred to probably spent a couple hundred dollars out of his own pocket and who knows how many hours to help make this event happen. Get a clue, buddy! BCAT is going above and beyond, in my opinion.