BCAT unsigned senior games at MTCS WHAT A JOKE!

4changes

I don't know the answer to that. I know the team my son was on was not coached by his coach from high school. I would think that to keep conflict down no team should have been coached by their high school coach. Again just my observation. I would agree #20 seemed to be a quality player a good left handed shooter. However, I don't know the other two players but would think a 6'8" (I am guessing his height) would be a asset and a quality player as well. We played against WC in the summer and I remember he has a sweet jumper. Just an opinion.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that 2 other coaches that helped had players in the event. Also, the BCAT is ran by the high school coaches from across the state, the coaches volunteered their time to help all the kids. Those coaches were named a while ago. Would it be fair to ask they not have any of their kids participate because they are coaching? NO. Some schools may have more than one player wanting to participate, There were multiple kids from Dekalb,Warren/and Clay Counties for example. The coach may may not know when they agree to do this that their kids may want to be involved and I know that they are assigned teams, they do not pick their teams.

Also, watching all the teams play, every team had 10 players and the rotation was 5 in and 5 out. That equals out.

It just goes to show that people can't be satisfied with anything. Maybe '4changes' should do a unsigned senior workout on his own and maybe he/she could understand that it is a little more difficult than he/she imagines. Obviously it seems that he/she thinks its easy. I just have a hard time believing that Warren County had that many players that want to play college looking at their record.

Edited by myteamsonthefloor

I think you are missing the point myteam. No one is saying the coaches couldn't help out or that their players couldn't play. I am saying that the coaches shouldn't have coached their own players. I saw how the guy went thru and had the boys call out a number 1 thru 4 and all the 1's went on a team and so on THEN the coaches were asked to take a team. It was THEN at that point I am saying the coaches from Dekalb should have coached a different team. And you can say they went 5 in and 5 out all you want but that is NOT what happened with the Dekalb team!!!! It really isn't that difficult!! Explain to me this what does WC's record have to do with a player wanting to play at the next level??? Just because they don't have a good record then they should just quit??? Really??? Let some of the WC players like #20 and the 6'8" player get with a good college coach and see what they can do. The record is in no way a reflection of some of the WC players. I would dare say that if WC had a coach like say the Cumberland County coach their record would be quite different.

I have no dog in this race, but I thought I would chime in my 2 cents. First off, if you are ignorant enough to think that this event is going to be a segway to a college scholarship, then you are mistakened. These games are basically glorified pick-up games that are for the kids to have fun and have another chance to play. Yes, it is labeled "unsigned seniors" but the matter of the fact is, not many colleges are going to change their minds about a player based on an hour or so of play. Second, it is obvious that 4changes isn't going to be convinced otherwise, so what is the point in feeding into his argument? I'm sorry "little Johnny" didn't get the full ride to Duke that he would've gotten had he played 3 more minutes in each game......Because obviously that is how you get a scholarship, by playing in a meaningless "all-star" game. Maybe try sending out tape, making phone calls to different schools, and the coaches promoting their players during the season would be a better way of getting your players seen. But then again, what do I know.

So let me understand what you are saying Rufus. You are saying that what all the people involved all the coaches etc was just a big waste of time. That is was a joke, that in no way was it to showcase unsigned seniors, even though thats what is was called. WOW I didn't realize that all of this was just for fun and was meaningless (your word)! Wow so maybe they should have just called it a "glorified pick up game" (your word). Thanks for clearing that up!!! and you call me ignorant!! SMH

ok whatever you say! You know everything! One player can't beat a team by himself. Futhermore, I agree WC coach is not good! But none of this has anything to do with Saturday! I am NOT the only person who saw the playing time was not equal I am just the only one saying anything! So think whatever you want to make you feel better. OH and one last thing so where is the two boys from Dekalb going to play college ball at???? For the record my son was not there playing Saturday he graduated last year and was offered basketball scholarships from Walters State, Bryan College, and a few more. So my comments are strictly based on what I saw when I was there Saturday. The facts are 1) Dekalb coaches should not have been allowed to coach their own teams. 2) Dekalb coaches purposely did not play the two WC players 3) The Dekalb players were by far not the best players on the court!!! END OF DISCUSSION

DC's post players could definately play for a better college program than these, IF they wanted to play on the next level. End of Discussion. Next..

Look I could give a rats ........ what you believe or don't believe. I have no reason to lie, whine, whatever you want to say. It is what it is!!! Like I said whatever helps you sleep at night. When it's all said and done we will see who goes where and how far your so called "talent" from Dekalb goes. My point in all of this was very simple playing time wasn't fair and Dekalb coaches showed partiality to his players. Best of luck!!!

Bahaha. What ever helps YOU sleep at night.. :rolleyes: sounds like a bunch of whinning to me. Clearly, DC swept WC this season 3-0, two by double digits on your HOME FLOOR( 61-41, and 67-48.. :popcorneater: ). And "DC's so called talent".. what does that so to WC players after the beaten they got from DC 3 games... Exactly. And back to the "Rivalry" post... DC doesnt consider WC to be a "rivalry".. There is no rivalry to beating you. DC missed the state tourney by 3 points.. missing key players... how far did WC make it? Edited by DC10

I never said it was a waste of time. I was just pointing out, that thinking this event is a"premier" event for recruiting, is a little foolish. Another thing, the games weren't promoted very well. Jesse Smithey of the Knoxville News Sentinel had a hard time getting a hold of any type of roster or much info about the event at all. The only advertising I saw at the State Tournament was a very small sign that just said BCAT with the time and date. Said sign was taped to side of the top bleachers. So obscure that it was almost forgettable. As far as my "pick-up game" statement goes, what I meant was the lack of team concepts and the one on one style of play of these event would be make it hard for a true evaluation of the players. With that said, I didn't attend the games, but was simply pointing out the uproar over not having equal playing time and not getting exposure, is a little silly.

Actually, every high school coach in the state received info on the all-star game and the unsigned games as they have each of the 6 years the Basketball Coaches Association has been doing this. Emails were sent to all members of BCAT also, which is over 500 members. Also, they send this out to every media outlet in the state, they choose either to publish it or not. Every college and university in Tennessee along with schools in surrounding states get info on both events.

As for the all star game, rosters are sometimes not set until late friday night before the game because players are still in the state tournament.

Alot of the players who are invited also don't get the invite from the school or coach after receiving it, thus creating problems.

The unsigned games are never set until the morning of the games because some players sign up and never show to play. For example, this year almost 50 signed up and about 10 didn't show. It is billed as 'unsigned games' not showcase, because they play games. This year they expanded to a 2 hour format, in the past it has been an hour. These games have provided opportunities for several players through the years to play on the next level. All in all it is a good event and it will expand next year and be bigger and better.

Edited by judgesmales

This was very disappointing. It was suppose to be for unsigned seniors to have a fair chance to play in front of college coaches for possible recuritment. Well this was not the case! Dekalb High School coaches were there with their players. Just so happens they get to coach the team their players is on. The rules were suppose to be the coaches substitute 5 players every 5 minutes so that all players get equal playing time. Dekalb coaches DID NOT do this. Their players played the whole time while the other players may have got 3 minutes of playing time if they were lucky. The last game 3 players didn't get to play at all!!! The guy "Tim" that was over this "showcase" was informed but did nothing about it. First of all Dekalb coaches should not have been allowed to coach their own players. There were other coaches there with their players but they coached other players not their own. Dekalb coaches should have been considerate to all players they were coaching and let all players get equal time to "showcase" their talents. After all, thats what this was suppose to be about right??

The Basketball Coaches Association of Tennessee (BCAT) takes great pride in promoting "OUR" basketball players in the great state of Tennessee. This association is non-profit and relies on members to procure corporate sponsors and they themselves impose a fee for their own coaching clinic which in turn helps fund this event in the spring. Here are some points that people should know:

1. This was a free event for all unsigned seniors and college coaches. Slots were limited to the first 50 players. BCAT emailed every college in Tennessee and surrounding states about the event. All unsigned seniors were given a shirt provided by BCAT. The expense of the shirts was covered by BCAT at no cost to the student and they were allowed to keep them afterwards. BCAT wanted the kids to have a something to take home with them for participating. This free shirt was left behind on the floor by this "one" upset parent.

2. Every coach that worked the event donated their time, including any personal time needed from their 'real full-time' careers, and their travel expenses to and from the event. "Some" people do not take into account that these coaches have families and other commitments in their lives. Instead of appreciation for this, some parents have the attitude of what can you do for my individual child?

3. There was no set rule about subbing players every five minutes, but everyone was given an equal opportunity to play. If by some chance this was not kept to the second; our apologies we are only human. Never are decisions made for personal gain; perceptions may be skewed due to personal bias. The players did play for two hours, and afterwords instead of calling the event over all of our volunteer coaches agreed to give their time to two five minute mini- games that were not apart of the original agenda. One change we made included playing in both gyms at the same time, allowing for more playing time for all. Thankfully, Middle Tennessee Christian generously allowed us to use their facilities, again. Something we should not have done was kept up with the score in the games.

4. This is the fifth year for the unsigned senior game and up to this point over fifty players have received college scholarships after participating in this event.

5. This is an ever growing event and there were many students who wanted to be apart of this opportunity but were unable due to limited slots available. It also needs to be made clear that the students are not chosen by a committee but actually a first come first served basis eliminating any favoritism.

6. The refs were all paid by BCAT, again at no cost to the parents. In order for more playing opportunities this year we took on the added expense and logistics for games to be continuously played on two courts instead of just one as done in previous years to ensure that each player got the most visibility possible.

7. The unsigned senior game was created to give more opportunities for players to be seen. The most opportune time to do this was before the ALL-STAR game.

8. BCAT will always look for ways to improve any event we put on. We want COACHES feedback.

I am sorry that you feel you kid got snubbed out of five minutes of playing time. I can tell you that the DeKalb coaches and the other coaches are very good men. They donated their time to help every player there; just as all the other coaches that participated in this event did.

The coaches do not get caught up in petty rivalries, seasons are over, it has been agreed that we are all on one team for the students. Unfortunately, we endure ridicule year round from parents who make this personal and take away from the love of the game.

This event now has approximately four hundred players participating and you are the first parent to complain. As I reflect I have determined that statistics alone prove that your opinion stands alone. I am sorry that for whatever your personal motivations were you decided to become libelous and try to taint professional and public opinions of such a worthy event. A simple thank you for providing your son an opportunity to be involved would suffice.

I appreciate all your 8 points. I find it a contradiction for you to say I stand alone and I am the first parent to complain, but yet you say you endure ridicule year round from parents????

Now lets address some of these 8 points. Your point 1) Shirt wasn't left on the floor it was handed to one of the guys over the program. Your point 3) His playing time wasnt even close to just a few seconds missed, it was more like minutes! In fact, of the 2 hours of playing my step son played 15 minutes!!!! The two 5 minute games my step son played none 0 nada. So yes I firmly do believe it was for personal gain by Dekalb coaches. Your point 4) I agree. I will say last year was much better my other son was there last year and got an offer from Walters State. Your point 6) No cost to parents?? I could have swore I paid to get in?????? Your point 8) So you only want coaches feedback? I see.

Let me say this (maybe you will feel better) it did appear that the other teams were getting equal playing time. Let me be clear, this event, and my step son not getting fair playing time, will not hinder his college basketball career in the least. All I have been saying this whole time is simply DC coaches did not coach fair, as far as WC players go, they were in it for their players, themselves, and no one else! So for you to think you deserve a thank you or for me to agree that DC coaches are good men.........is a stretch! Your thank you was getting the shirt handed back to you!!

Here's a piece of advice for you......I am sure with all your contacts to all the coaches in the state you can get better "volunteers" to help you next year instead of Dekalb county coaches. Another piece of advice maybe things would have been different if 1) DC coaches hadn't got to coach their own players 2) WC had got placed on a different team 3) No score was kept because clearly DC coaches thought it was the NBA playoffs. SMH Look, does it ever cross your mind that coaches like Dekalb's are maybe looking to use this platform to try to make themselves look good so maybe just maybe their career won't be stagnant?

I don't have to try to taint anything, your "volunteer" coaches from Dekalb done a fine job of that!!

I

I appreciate all your 8 points. I find it a contradiction for you to say I stand alone and I am the first parent to complain, but yet you say you endure ridicule year round from parents????

Now lets address some of these 8 points. Your point 1) Shirt wasn't left on the floor it was handed to one of the guys over the program. Your point 3) His playing time wasnt even close to just a few seconds missed, it was more like minutes! In fact, of the 2 hours of playing my step son played 15 minutes!!!! The two 5 minute games my step son played none 0 nada. So yes I firmly do believe it was for personal gain by Dekalb coaches. Your point 4) I agree. I will say last year was much better my other son was there last year and got an offer from Walters State. Your point 6) No cost to parents?? I could have swore I paid to get in?????? Your point 8) So you only want coaches feedback? I see.

Let me say this (maybe you will feel better) it did appear that the other teams were getting equal playing time. Let me be clear, this event, and my step son not getting fair playing time, will not hinder his college basketball career in the least. All I have been saying this whole time is simply DC coaches did not coach fair, as far as WC players go, they were in it for their players, themselves, and no one else! So for you to think you deserve a thank you or for me to agree that DC coaches are good men.........is a stretch! Your thank you was getting the shirt handed back to you!!

Here's a piece of advice for you......I am sure with all your contacts to all the coaches in the state you can get better "volunteers" to help you next year instead of Dekalb county coaches. Another piece of advice maybe things would have been different if 1) DC coaches hadn't got to coach their own players 2) WC had got placed on a different team 3) No score was kept because clearly DC coaches thought it was the NBA playoffs. SMH Look, does it ever cross your mind that coaches like Dekalb's are maybe looking to use this platform to try to make themselves look good so maybe just maybe their career won't be stagnant?

I don't have to try to taint anything, your "volunteer" coaches from Dekalb done a fine job of that!!

I

Don't believe I've ever read so much crying on here about someones little darling's playing time. I'm not from Dekalb co. but do follow the teams in dist. 8AA. From observing DC during the past several seasons, I can assure you that the DC coaching staff does NOT need another forum to make themselves look good. The play of the DC team does that for them. Maybe the DC players got a minute or two more playing time. So what? Every coach should make an extra effort to try to help his own players. The one thing I haven't noticed on here, is you mentioning, that your coach was there giving his time to help his players. Why don't you take your complaint up with him?

Don't believe I've ever read so much crying on here about someones little darling's playing time. I'm not from Dekalb co. but do follow the teams in dist. 8AA. From observing DC during the past several seasons, I can assure you that the DC coaching staff does NOT need another forum to make themselves look good. The play of the DC team does that for them. Maybe the DC players got a minute or two more playing time. So what? Every coach should make an extra effort to try to help his own players. The one thing I haven't noticed on here, is you mentioning, that your coach was there giving his time to help his players. Why don't you take your complaint up with him?

No, no. He believes that the coach at WC isn't good either, so he wouldn't want the WC coach there...