Do Metro Schools ever hire anyone from the outside?

Hater247

When Metro went to Comprehensive schools, it killed the neighborhood rivalries and small knit communities. Now the schools are a bunch of failing, disfunctional academic institutions that is more of a circus or zoo than school.

Couldn't agree more. I agree 100% w/that.

McGavock's zone goes from Lafayette street right by downtown to the county line/wilson county.

Another issue with metro........school board and higher up decision making always adversely affects sports..............no thought put into how their decisions affect sports....

Most recently not allowing 5th and 6th graders play middle school sports at metro middle schools. All county and privates have 7th grade and 8th grade teams on top of 5th/6th grade teams..............

it is a LONG list of scenarious of whats wrong w/Metro school sports......

I was told the Hunters Lane principal wanted to know why the boys team needed more than 2 basketballs.........varsity......non sports minded principals don't help either....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Metro went to Comprehensive schools, it killed the neighborhood rivalries and small knit communities. Now the schools are a bunch of failing, disfunctional academic institutions that is more of a circus or zoo than school.

Couldn't agree more. I agree 100% w/that.

McGavock's zone goes from Lafayette street right by downtown to the county line/wilson county.

Another issue with metro........school board and higher up decision making always adversely affects sports..............no thought put into how their decisions affect sports....

Most recently not allowing 5th and 6th graders play middle school sports at metro middle schools. All county and privates have 7th grade and 8th grade teams on top of 5th/6th grade teams..............

it is a LONG list of scenarious of whats wrong w/Metro school sports......

I was told the Hunters Lane principal wanted to know why the boys team needed more than 2 basketballs.........varsity......non sports minded principals don't help either....

Just can't fathom why someone in Metro does not see a huge opportunity for improvement in this area, and it would improve the overall atmosphere in the school.

I know some of the schools do not have the best students, but every school has a "rough part of town" people come from. Making athletics a priority would give a school a tremendous shot of momentum in improving the overall educational atmosphere.

Just like one time to see a Metro team win the state in football or boys basketball. It's been awhile. Best chance is for East Lit in basketball / Pearl-Cohn or Maplewood in football.

I am certified in Biology and Algebra 1. Where are the jobs? I have an application on file but get no calls.

Those jobs are going to those Teach For America people now. You won't get a call. They are taking over Metro especialy with our State Commish who is a TFA alum and its former legal chief...

Those jobs are going to those Teach For America people now. You won't get a call. They are taking over Metro especialy with our State Commish who is a TFA alum and its former legal chief...

Again.

Teach for America gets every Metro Job Opening BEFORE anyone else can get a sniff. You have to basically hope that one of these TFA folks quit about 6 weeks into the school year which happens regularly.

Metro Nashville Public Schools have more problems than I have time to talk about on a message board. I will try to list a few problems that are related to sports and keep in mind that all of the problems could be fixed.

1. They would hire coaches from outside the state of Tennessee but they are not going out and searching for these individuals.

2. Most of the principals are not athletic minded individuals.

3. A high percentage of the teachers have lost faith in the system and send their own children to private schools or they live in another county and use that school system for their children.

4. Most of the schools are in need of major repairs. The fact is the schools many times are just dirty and need to be cleaned and painted or the grass needs to be mowed on a regular basis. What message does this send to the kids and families?

I have spoken with some of the top educators in MNPS and ask them who their competition was and they say the magnet schools and private schools. My next question is if they have ever taken a tour of the elite private schools and spoken with the teachers/coaches at those schools and only two times has the answer been yes. How do you know what you are up against if you don't get out and walk around the block? During a discussion with a MNPS teacher that teaches AP chemistry & that had a daughter that attended Harpeth Hall, I ask how many of her AP chemistry students could make A's & B's at Harpeth Hall and the response was 1 for sure and maybe another 2 if they worked hard. This teacher felt that even the students in the honors program were 3 or 4 years behind the girls that attended HH with her daughter. If those numbers are correct it is truly a sad day for MNPS.

Edited by cbg