Top 23 Games for Week 0: Webb at Maryville

Vols12345678

It's never too early to get the football talk going, especially when we have a game like this to kickoff the season. I know Maryville returns Prevo but don't really know anything else about them except that they reload every year and have a great coaching staff. What is Maryville looking like coming into this season?

I expect murvil to be small and slow this year. And that's only the coaching staff!

Seriously, same old murvil. Lots of holes to fill with all the upperclassmen who play every year. Offensively, we wll need linemen and receivers (including TE) to step up and show they can play at a championship level. We will also need a defensive guy to step up and take the place of our safety who (IMO) was our biggest hitter on the defensive side. In other words, it will all come down to coaching...LOL!

Last year we only had one returning starter on oline and everyone questioned them in preseason and they had a banner year scoring. Expect the same this year. We will probably be a little better than last year if everyone is healthy. They are already stronger and quicker. Half of Whitehaven's team were D1 recruits and we did ok the last two years. Miller is chippy and will shine at TE not a concern. Coulter could stick as well as any. He'll be missed. Coach Meske is a great coach and better person. Known him for years. Always pull for his Webb team except against us.

Yeah as long as that coaching staff is there, Maryville will not have an off year. They are just too good at preparing and their in game play calling is phenomenal. I really could see this game being one of the best high school games this year. That place will be packed. Of course Maryville will have their usual attendance but a lot of people will be wanting to watch TK Jr. on the big stage.

Webb is a very athletic, conditioned, hard nosed, intelligent, disciplined well coached ball team. Anyone who knows anything about them knows they play with pride (ask Alcoa). This game will be a challange for us, particularily at the start of the season as Maryville gets stronger as the season progresses and playoffs near. It will be close and low scoring and the 4th quarter is when things get cranked up.

Vols1...8,

What kind of role will the murvil transplant (Stephens) play for webb this year? I have lost track whether he will be a soph/jr/sr. He was a tremendous youth player over here - very competitive. I played ball with his dad decades ago. I hate we lost him. He would likely be starting at one of our corners.

Edited by strongx

I wish I could bet everything I owned on that. I would take Webb +28 all day. No way you would actually make that bet.

ok vols18. If maryville wins by 28 or more I get everything you own. Done deal, book it, it's a bet! Hope you have lots of stuff for me. I sure could use it, junk car sales are way down.

Vols1...8,

What kind of role will the murvil transplant (Stephens) play for webb this year? I have lost track whether he will be a soph/jr/sr. He was a tremendous youth player over here - very competitive. I played ball with his dad decades ago. I hate we lost him. He would likely be starting at one of our corners.

Chris Stephens was injured most of last year but as a freshman played really well on JV. So he will be playing his junior year this coming year. I don't think he will get many carries on offense because of the talent we have in the backfield, but has a very good chance at starting at Cornerback. We only lost one DB from last year in Aaron Blance and there will be a couple players looking to get that starting spot and he is definitely one of them. He still plays very hard and has great speed. He was #24 last year so I am guessing he will be wearing that same number this year.