Politics in school sports

softballer865

YtYtTravel ball and College Exposure Tournaments are where you girl will get recruited. I have never seen a group of college coaches watching a High School ball game looking for players. I think there is less politics in travel ball, because it is very easy for a girl to go to a team where they will be respected for what they bring to the team. Having coached travel ball for years, I know that if I don't take care of the best players they will be playing for somebody else shortly. On the other hand, High School's Coaches know that it is a lot of trouble to change schools to find a situation where you will be treated fair, and therefore tend to treat players however they like. Jack City Softball offers an alternative to high school softball, and is something to consider.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JackCity spring development program is entirely different from the summer travel program. The spring program is designed specifically for "elite" softball players who aren't getting what they need from their high shool team and wish to be around other "committed" softball players who are looking to further enhance their skills and play at/against the level they are accustomed to during the spring and fall travel seasons. There are multiple "summer/fall" Jack City sponsored travel ball clubs that are each coached by well respected people but the two spring development teams are coached by Michael Connell whose daughter Caralisa is one of the top pitchers in the country at the University of Louisvlle. It's certainly not for everyone as it is very different from the high school experience and Connell expects the teams to perform at a high level every week, For our daughter, who attends a high school in traditionally one of the weaker AAA softball districts in the state 6AAA, this was a no brainer and she couldn't be happier and she has excelled and loves it. They play on weekends in Georgia whose travel ball season/tournaments have already started as they play their high school season in the fall.

TheFastPitchGuru

Edited by FastPitchGuru

The JackCity spring development program is entirely different from the summer travel program. The spring program is designed specifically for "elite" softball players who aren't getting what they need from their high shool team and wish to be around other "committed" softball players who are looking to further enhance their skills and play at/against the level they are accustomed to during the spring and fall travel seasons. There are multiple "summer/fall" Jack City sponsored travel ball clubs that are each coached by well respected people but the two spring development teams are coached by Michael Connell whose daughter Caralisa is one of the top pitchers in the country at the University of Louisvlle. It's certainly not for everyone as it is very different from the high school experience and Connell expects the teams to perform at a high level every week, For our daughter, who attends a high school in traditionally one of the weaker AAA softball districts in the state 6AAA, this was a no brainer and she couldn't be happier and she has excelled and loves it. They play on weekends in Georgia whose travel ball season/tournaments have already started as they play their high school season in the fall.

TheFastPitchGuru

Well I do stand corrected. But, that is because I know you. And your situation and I can honestly say I would have done the same thing. That being said. Neither of mine are wanting to give up the whole high school experience. They have really enjoyed this year being able to play together. My oldest already has the offers that she wants. As far as my youngest she is playing in Georgia now as soon as high school is over. She is with Force Elite and loves those girls but, win or lose she loves the opportunity to get to play for her school and her community with her sister and have life long friends by her side playing in her own town. But, I believe ahe will still do pretty well when its her turn to look at offers.

We all know politics and favortism happen in school sports. Would you recommend a girl skipping high school ball an favor of strickly travel ball year round?

What are your thoughts/experiences on this?

Depends on the situation. Don't know how good your princess is, but how good is the high school team? If it is not a traditional power school I find it hard to believe that your princess isn't earning the playing time if she is a college level player. That or you could transfer schools.

However, as we have seen this year, with one of the best players in the state not playing on her team for whatever reasonings.......it might be a viable option.

Its untrue that favoritism will not keep a good player from playing. It most definitely will. Our daughter plays on a team that would rather lose games , float strong solid players around to accommodate the coaches daughter. Its very disheartening to the players who work hard to earn positions and by no fault or control of their own be moved or pushed to the side. But, I guess there is favoritism and politic in every aspect of life.

If the question were one or the other,travel ball would be the answer provided that she's a college prospect.If you can have both I don't understand the decision not to play at her school...nagging injury or an outright hostile enviroment from players/coach I guess would be a consideration(they are 16 year old girls)...as for politics and travel ball,I find it 'kinda funny that gcard86 uses that to try and influence a decision,then puts in an ad for his team.

YtYtTravel ball and College Exposure Tournaments are where you girl will get recruited. I have never seen a group of college coaches watching a High School ball game looking for players. I think there is less politics in travel ball, because it is very easy for a girl to go to a team where they will be respected for what they bring to the team. Having coached travel ball for years, I know that if I don't take care of the best players they will be playing for somebody else shortly. On the other hand, High School's Coaches know that it is a lot of trouble to change schools to find a situation where you will be treated fair, and therefore tend to treat players however they like. Jack City Softball offers an alternative to high school softball, and is something to consider.

Tradertwo...I think you've made an error in your assumption of who gcard86 is. I'm guessing he is the father of one of my students but she plays for her school and not in my spring program. Might not be, but either way it wasn't an ad from me about our program. I appreciate the shout out, but it wasn't generated by me or our program. I'm a Cards fan as my daughter plays for them, so it was a logical guess...just not the right one.

dore83 is correct. My daughter has taken lessons from Michael Connell for years. He is an excellent pitching and hitting coach! My daughter still plays high school ball, but I appreciate the option of playing for Jack City for players who are not in a good school for softball.

Edited by gcard86