Maryville advances?

BigG

Wanted some clarification on this one...

According to the News Sentinel

Maryville, despite losing to the Irish in the semifinals, earned a trip to Tuesday’s semifinals by virtue of its regular-season district championship.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

If it is, then Catholic, who beat Maryville in district semifinals, gets knocked out even though they made it to the district finals (but lost to Farragut)

Before I comment on how stupid I think this is, I just want to be sure it is accurate.

Article

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe District 4 changed their rules and the regular season champ is an automatic qualifier into the regions. It is similar to District 11 last year when Brentwood was upset in the District Tourney, but were the regular season champs and advanced to win the State.

I believe District 4 changed their rules and the regular season champ is an automatic qualifier into the regions. It is similar to District 11 last year when Brentwood was upset in the District Tourney, but were the regular season champs and advanced to win the State.

And as a result of that result, the district changed the rule back this year. (Because it is stupid).

Tough situation for Knox Catholic. Last year they won the regular season and missed out on regions because of early district loss. This year they make district finals and lose, and the regular season champ (who lost early) advances.

I can't even comprehend the logic to this decision by their district.

The advantage to winning regular season district tournament is:

Top seed with easier first round games

Hosting home match for the district tournament

Why make it a "season changing" event? Didn't last years fiasco prove that? A team that loses in a "knock out round" for every other district in the state, eventually goes and wins the state tournament (having an advantage over all the other teams that lost and had to stay home). I have nothing against Brentwood. They were just following the district rules. I just think those rules were ridiculous.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, but I have "fought in this fight" 8 years with my teams. You won a knock out game, you advanced. You lost, you stayed home. Simple.

The TSSAA needs to step in and regulate this. I know they won't, but they should.

If I were catholic, I would be ticked.

And to be clear...

This isn't a shot against Maryville, or a shot against Catholic or Brentwood, etc. I have nothing against those teams, and they have done nothing wrong. They worked hard to win their district regular season championship and they reaped the benefit.

I just don't understand this choice. Maybe there is more to it than I understand, and if so, I will be the first to get on here and take back what I said.

But at face value, I can't say I like it.

I can't even comprehend the logic to this decision by their district.

The advantage to winning regular season district tournament is:

Top seed with easier first round games

Hosting home match for the district tournament

Why make it a "season changing" event? Didn't last years fiasco prove that? A team that loses in a "knock out round" for every other district in the state, eventually goes and wins the state tournament (having an advantage over all the other teams that lost and had to stay home). I have nothing against Brentwood. They were just following the district rules. I just think those rules were ridiculous.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, but I have "fought in this fight" 8 years with my teams. You won a knock out game, you advanced. You lost, you stayed home. Simple.

The TSSAA needs to step in and regulate this. I know they won't, but they should.

If I were catholic, I would be ticked.

Wow I'd be ticked too. Terrible rule.

Certainly agree with BigG's "no dog in the fight" statement. It means a bit more to be regular season district champion when your district has Farragut, Bearden, West, Catholic, Maryville, Lenoir City than to be a district champ when the opposition is Oliver Springs (15-0, 13-0) , Oneida, Rockwood, Stone Memorial ((14-0),Tellico. For those outside Knoxville, numbers inside parenthesis are not those teams records but the scores of their matches vs CAK in 2013.

Also, re Catholic being "ticked"--BigG you might want to make a couple of calls and see what district 4 schools were in favor of the change in process. Please let us know what you find out!

That said, I can see both sides of the argument.

To me the question is not so much about whether you do or don't allow your regular season champ to get an automatic bid to the region as much as consistency throughout all regions. Why have two of the top regions in the state elected to go this direction? Secondly why allow them to even play in the district championships period as they may now knock of the next best team from making it to regions. I don't get it and probably never will.