State Tournament Umpires?

wildcatdude

It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one. George Washington

Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them. John Wooden

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen. Anonymous

Tullahoma has a very good team and Sheffield is a great talent. They just lost to a team and a pitcher who were better on that day.

Edited by UTMPacer

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one. George Washington

Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them. John Wooden

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen. Anonymous

Tullahoma has a very good team and Sheffield is a great talent. They just lost to a team and a pitcher who were better on that day.

Quotes ...... Cool ....... I have a couple.

"Incompetent umpires should not be in a state tournament." - Me

"Anyone who thinks the TSSAA cares about anything other than turning a profit has not watched very much Tennessee high school sports" - Me

Again ....... I'm really not making excuses for Tullahoma. I think you are completely missing the point here. They lost, Farragut & Dyer County won and moved on. Congratulations to them. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quotes ...... Cool ....... I have a couple.

"Incompetent umpires should not be in a state tournament." - Me

"Anyone who thinks the TSSAA cares about anything other than turning a profit has not watched very much Tennessee high school sports" - Me

Again ....... I'm really not making excuses for Tullahoma. I think you are completely missing the point here. They lost, Farragut & Dyer County won and moved on. Congratulations to them. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I believe his problem is your insinuating that Tullahoma would've beaten Farragut had the umpires been "good umpires".

I believe his problem is your insinuating that Tullahoma would've beaten Farragut had the umpires been "good umpires".

I understand that. I'm not insinuating that at all. Serrano was very good yesterday. Tullahoma had nothing for him. I have more of a problem the guy behind the plate last night. He was a joke and everyone there knew it. I'm just going to shut up on this one. Enjoyed the banter guys.

I would like to include my opinion - notice I say my opinion. Before everyone jumps on me about - YOU MUST HAVE LOST - let me say that 2 games we did and 2 games we did not. The overall umpiring in a STATE EVENT was very dissapointing in 2 of the four games - one we won and one we lost - it was about as bad as I have seen in high school. I would have expected umpires in the state tournament to have a much better understanding of the rules of the game. I would also expect a more consistent command of the plate - be bad or good but just be consistent. I get that it is "just a part of the game" but in an event that is as big as this I would expect a much more competent crew working these games. It is dissapointing that in the entire state we can't find better umpires that do not influence games and become part of the headlines. For what it is worth - I was NOT at the game that started this but in talking with many people that were and had no skin in the game they all said it was clearly a foul ball. Not that it would have mattered as all have said both pitchers were amazing - just pointing out a different opinion of many that have no dog in the fight and stating the argument that TSSAA should have a better review system for umpires allowed to participate at this level. Would we have won anyway - who knows - but I would have much rather our kids decide that and not the umpires.

I have read all these post about the umpiring and it hurts as a College and High School Umpire for 35 years to read this about our great game .I worked the State years ago and then we would bring up 3 Umpires who knew how to work a 3 man crew we either called 1 day or 2 now you have to stay for a week that cuts it down to a small few who can come and umpires who have never called a 3 man together are working all the games never the same umpires.Do we have bad games? Yes but no excuse for not knowing rules and one call does not cost a game.All the AD'S here chose not to work 3 man in the tournament so when they get to state they haven't worked it.TSSAA needs to step in on this one.I have always believed in Umpires being graded and the best should get the best games but this will never happen in the State as long as they make us come for the whole week.The same ones will keep coming back I work for a living and want take my vacation to come there as most of us want.They work hard and I promise they are not trying to cheat any team or kids some coaches are better then others some umpires better then others just part of the game.Congrats to all the teams who made it memories they will never forget !!!

I've been reading this topic for the past few days with some interest.

I guess the basic question is, are the best high school umpires working the games in the state tournament? I would say the answer is no. The primary reason is because the best umpires are not always available when the state tournament is held. Work considerations, etc., and another big one. Many good high school umpires also work college baseball and many umpires are still working college ball when the state tournament is held.

Also, each regional high school umpire association sends representatives to work the state tournament. Are these regional umpires the best in the state? Probably not, but ask yourself this, are the teams that qualify to play in the state tournament the 8 best in the state in each division? Probably not.

In my opinion, you are getting the quality of umpiring that is equivilent to the quality of baseball being played. Half of the people at a game are going to disagree with a call 100% of the time. Players make errors, coaches make bad coaching decisions and umpires miss calls. Each and every one of them, players, coaches and umpires, are doing their dead level best to do the absolute best job they can.

It's baseball!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading this topic for the past few days with some interest.

I guess the basic question is, are the best high school umpires working the games in the state tournament? I would say the answer is no. The primary reason is because the best umpires are not always available when the state tournament is held. Work considerations, etc., and another big one. Many good high school umpires also work college baseball and many umpires are still working college ball when the state tournament is held.

Also, each regional high school umpire association sends representatives to work the state tournament. Are these regional umpires the best in the state? Probably not, but ask yourself this, are the teams that qualify to play in the state tournament the 8 best in the state in each division? Probably not.

In my opinion, you are getting the quality of umpiring that is equivilent to the quality of baseball being played. Half of the people at a game are going to disagree with a call 100% of the time. Players make errors, coaches make bad coaching decisions and umpires miss calls. Each and every one of them, players, coaches and umpires, are doing their dead level best to do the absolute best job they can.

It's baseball!

I was watching a game a few weeks ago, Dorris Armstrong was behind the plate, there was a weird play, I don't remember it exactly, but Doris made a call at the plate and called the player out. the third baseball coach went nuts , Doris gave him a little, when the coach kept it up, Doris said, "If you had been doing your job in the first place , you player would not have been out" it was so true, the coach blew the play resulting in the outcome being left up to the umpire.

I was watching a game a few weeks ago, Dorris Armstrong was behind the plate, there was a weird play, I don't remember it exactly, but Doris made a call at the plate and called the player out. the third baseball coach went nuts , Doris gave him a little, when the coach kept it up, Doris said, "If you had been doing your job in the first place , you player would not have been out" it was so true, the coach blew the play resulting in the outcome being left up to the umpire.

Dorris is able to get away with that type if statement due to his stature and longevity as a baseball umpire but I would not suggest any other umpire taking the same approach.

And I know Dorris and Dorris was wrong for saying what he did.

Nothing could have been said to the coach if he blows up at Dorris and ends up getting tossed, Dorris kind of baited him. Umpires don't tolerate coaches talking to them and getting personal, profane or for a prolonged period of time. Dorris' response sounds a little personal to me.

Change the scenario a little bit and put it at the college level. Was that the proper thing to say to a coach? I don't think so.