TSSAA looking at potential Texas rule on Concussions in sports

PHargis

Evidently safety of the athlete, whether football or not, is the primary reason at looking at this bill. All athletes are suseptable to concussions no matter the sport. But the question comes to mind, what if an athlete gets a concussion outside of sports. that happens all of the time whether it be a fall, a car accident, a bicycle accident, etc. Athletes take physicals. Seems to me that requiring those who give may skewto put a question on the examination as to whether there has been any major event of a head blow occurred in the previous year or something of that nature to at least put everyone on alert that something has happened. Football is of major concern here but usually when stats are taken on events of this kind, concussions show up everywhere, maybe not with the frequency of major impact sports but everywhere. Outside events may skew the numbers. What if the athlete is a boxer also or something of that nature? Real life instances can effect people who play.

After looking up this new rule I don't think it will affect normal every day practices. I know my coach never had us tackle full speed and take to the ground except for a 10 minute period of goalline every Tuesday. We blocked full speed but tackling was wrap up and not take to the ground. If it eliminates head injuries I say go for it.

The next thing might be these new padded caps that cover the helmet, Guardian Caps I think is the name. Have seen photos but never seen one in person. Might be good thing to buy for practice but I don't know about the cost.