Noise Makers for '13 & 14 - All Divisions...

Sommers

Very good points. RealSoddyboy, true about the mass #'s, there's so many years that Chattanooga area schools took the majority share of the top 5-10.... Even with the gross midTn advantage. True about making weight and having doctors notes Though

It is what it is as they say.... But it still stings to see our undefeated wrestler sit in the sidelines & watch another fine wrestler win state at 152 that we all saw win against this past season. At least it's not his senior year.

Another comment was the gross #'s of Chattanooga was greatly diminished with the 1aa division. Not sure with that still in place it would have added to the top 10 net #'s for the same area?

Have to say this, what a tribute to what was left in the gas tank at 195 (to both, but esp Mr west). Congrats to the coaches and all those who sacrificed for that final match & especially those last few seconds at 195 to say, "i can slide into OT or shift into high gear, step in the throttle and take this thing right now. What heart was shown to reach down inside & pull that one out!

Even the great one couldn't do this feat against one of Tennessee's finest...

Watch this.... http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/398-Jordan-Burroughs/video/735209-74kg-Jordan-Burroughs-vs-Nick-Marable

Edited by Sommers

Some nice stuff from Wilson co's main NP, The Lebanon Democrat... (Here you are T-cats Lester :) )

Richard, Kramer collect Central’s first wrestling state titles

Wildcats finish second as a team

STAFF REPORTS

HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

FEB 16, 2014

FRANKLIN — Coach John Kramer has built a state wrestling power at Wilson Central, and now the program has two state championships to show for it.

The coach’s namesake son and Austin Richard racked up the school’s first titles in the sport Friday at the Williamson Agricultural Exposition Center.

Richard, a 132-pound senior, defeated Cleveland’s Austin Stevison 7-4, avenging his only loss of the season. Kramer, a 220-pound junior, got past Ravenwood’s Rex Shotts 5-4. Those two had split a pair of regular-season matches.

Cleveland, which defeated Central for the state dual championship two weeks ago, took this team title as well with 215 points while Central finished second with 166.5

Richard and Kramer join Lebanon’s Jeff Lester [1984] and Mt. Juliet’s Zac Dailey [‘97 and ‘98], Hunter Allen [2010] and Tanner Bates [‘11] as Wilson County champions.

As you can imagine there is some commentary on Flo picking things apart...

Nick Marable hands Jordan Burroughs the first loss of his international career four years into it. Go to 4:33:00 for Burroughs vs. Marable.

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/398-Jordan-Burroughs/video/735209-74kg-Jordan-Burroughs-vs-Nick-Marable

Tags: Jordan Burroughs, Nick Marable

Comment:

WrestlerWins 24 minutes ago

Kyle Dake will beat him legitimately next time they meet

LikeReply

pfitz09 11 hours ago

overtime needs to become the international standard for deciding a match. take all interpretation of rules out and leave it on the mat

LikeReply

dlama 12 hours ago

Olympic and World Titles what its about! Prop to Marable and ending the streak but we know what counts. When they mention Smith or Gable they say how many world and or olympic title

1LikeReply

MCFruchtman 13 hours ago

More higher scores is the criteria... maybe Burroughs will develop a better approach to turns..his standing wrestling has always been so dynamic and explosive...didn't he look a little tentative (?) and was wrestling too high for that quick level change double that is his bread and butter. I think this is a good thing for his career. Let's see how he responds.

LikeReply

CJKenley 14 hours ago

The way I saw it, both wrestlers had a 2pt move, and Burroughs scored last... so?

LikeReply

Garteaser4 14 hours ago

@CJKenley And Marable had a caution… Maybe the criteria changed… I can only think that because Marable had 2x 2pt moves… I thought Burroughs should have won… the criteria must have changed… any insight?

LikeReply

CJKenley 14 hours ago

@Garteaser4 @CJKenley I looked into it, and the criteria is "more higher scores." As a poster on a wrestling board put it "2+2 > 1+1+2"

LikeReply

Garteaser4 14 hours ago

@CJKenley @Garteaser4 Right thats the only thing I could think of

LikeReply

TSchill106 14 hours ago

Cautions do not count against you anymore with the new rules

LikeReply

Garteaser4 15 hours ago

What is the criteria Burroughs lost on?

LikeReply

oh 15 hours ago

It was 4:33:00 for me.

LikeReply

jc 15 hours ago

Go to 4:15:00 for Burroughs and marable

LikeReply

infoman 13 hours ago

@jc Burroughs wrestles for bronze at 6:30:44

Edited by Sommers

Have to say this, what a tribute to what was left in the gas tank at 195 (to both, but esp Mr west). Congrats to the coaches and all those who sacrificed for that final match & especially those last few seconds at 195 to say, "i can slide into OT or shift into high gear, step in the throttle and take this thing right now. What heart was shown to reach down inside & pull that one out!

Without stopping the flow of the match despite an ankle injury in the 2nd period and despite the idiotic officiating in the 3rd period. I'm probably more proud of him overcoming those two obstacles at once while under the gun than winning his 2nd title.

Thats how you take it out of the hands of a biased official! Without taking unnecessary time outs just to get some rest and a drink. Even if you are injured a short break doesn't cure the injury, usually makes it worse as action and adrenaline stops and pain and stiffness sets in. Wrestle through it. Too many abusing this rule for a break. Wrestle or get off the mat. Adapt and overcome.

Keep your composure despite the calls, take a stand and make a statement that you can't be stopped, even injured with only 2 seconds left. Great way to end a high school career, 210th win!!

• Upvote 1

It was, but success goes far beyond that extra win. Hats off to Sly!

Sometimes folks will let things slide, even with cold sores, right? Could Blackman have tied or even surpassed Soddy without that disqualification? We'll never know, but wisdom gained I suppose.

WV... Again, congrats!

What?

What?

Sly be da man! They deserve to ten!

Riverdale's Kennedy wins state wrestling title

Junior finishes season undefeated

Feb. 16, 2014   |  

Riverdale's Sean Kennedy won the TSSAA Class AAA 170-pound state championship against Cleveland's Josh Hamilton Saturday. / gannett tennessee

Written by

Tom Kreager

The Daily News Journal

FRANKLIN â€” Sean Kennedy found himself in unfamiliar territory Saturday night.

He didn’t stay there long.

The Riverdale junior came from behind to defeat Cleveland’s Josh Hamilton 4-3 to win the TSSAA Class AAA 170-pound state championship at the Williamson County Ag & Expo Center.

“It’s everything I’ve worked for,†said Kennedy, whose brother Michael Kennedy won a 189-pound state championship at Blackman in 2010. “It started when my brother won it. He got second one year, and won it his junior year.

“My dad has pushed me every day. He’s really got it in my mind, ‘Is this what you are going to do? You’re going to do it.’ I’m so grateful for him. Without him, none of this is possible.â€

Sean Kennedy trailed 3-2 late in the third period after he was called for stalling to give Hamilton a point. That, though, woke him up. He quickly escaped Hamilton, getting points on a reversal for the win. The win completed a 41-0 season. The championship was his closest match of the season.

“Sean can score from any position,†Riverdale coach Shawn Jones said. “That’s not taking anything away from that Cleveland kid. We knew he was very defensive, and they are known to score from your mistakes.

“But Sean has been scoring from the bottom all year long. That’s what we feel is actually his best position.â€

Kennedy was the lone Rutherford County wrestler from a county record 10 state medalists on Saturday.

Blackman senior Austin Wells, a 285-pounder, finished second after he was pinned by Clarksville senior Bruno Reagan in the second period. But Wells was one of three Rutherford 285-pound medalists. Riverdale freshman Nick Boykin was third in the weight class. Oakland senior Jeff Benson was fifth.

“I wanted the gold, but I gave it my all,†Wells said. “I guess it wasn’t good enough.

“He got on top of me two or three times — that’s a lot of weight. I’m surprised I fought off the first time.â€

Boykin, who is the younger brother of former Riverdale state champion Scottie Boykin, finished the tournament by collecting five of his six wins at the state tournament via pin.

(Page 2 of 2)

He pinned Cleveland’s John Gaither in 2:26 in the third-place match.

And Nick Boykin did it by being close to 40 pounds lighter than every wrestler he faced.

“This means a lot,†he said. “I’m just here trying to beat my brother’s record. Just because I’m a freshman, this means a lot. I hope I can get somewhere with it.â€

Scottie Boykin finished sixth at state in his freshman season.

Blackman’s Ayinde Bakari (132), Josh Feuerbacher (138) and Tyler Sells (160) all placed fourth in the Class AAA tournament. Oakland’s Jeff Benson (285) finished fifth in Class AAA.

Sells, who sat out during the regular season to strengthen his left knee due to a torn ACL and MCL, won his first medal.

Eagleville’s Ellis Dodson (113) placed fourth, Hayden Hammonds (120) placed fourth and Andrew Solomon (152) was sixth in the Class A/AA tournament.

Dodson, who was the top seed of the 113-pound bracket, said he was bothered by a respiratory infection this week.

He lost 7-6 to Hixson’s Cedrick Harris in the third-place match.

“I missed practice two days,†Dodson said. “I lost four pounds of muscle. I’ve had a bad cough for three weeks, and it finally took over this week.

“It’s my senior year. I just had to fight. I wasn’t going to give up.â€

Hammonds, a junior, said medaling will help motivate him for next season. Hammonds fell to Pigeon Forge’s Matthew Kieta 4-0 in the third-place match. Kieta also defeated Hammonds 3-0 in the second round of the tournament.

“I just want to go out and work harder and just go for the best next year,†Hammonds said.

Contact Tom Kreager at 615-278-5168 or [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Kreager.

0Comments

AA

Riverdale's Sean Kennedy won the TSSAA Class AAA 170-pound state championship against Cleveland's Josh Hamilton Saturday. / gannett tennessee

Written by

Tom Kreager

The Daily News Journal

FILED UNDERSportsHigh School SportsEagleville

Rutherford Co. 2014 State Wrestling Medalists

NameSchoolClass.WeightFinishAyinde BakariBlackmanAAA132 4th

Jeff Benson Oakland AAA285 5th

Nick Boykin Riverdale AAA 285 3rd

Ellis DodsonEaglevilleA/AA113 4th

Josh Feuerbacher Blackman AAA 138 4th

Hayden Hammonds EaglevilleA/AA 120 4th

Sean Kennedy Riverdale AAA 170 1st

Tyler Sells Blackman AAA 160 4th

Andrew Solomon EaglevilleA/AA 152 6th

Austin Wells Blackman AAA 285 2nd

Rutherford Co. State Wrestling Champions

Howard Carter Murfreesboro Central Unlimited 1972

Dennis Harrison Riverdale Unlimited1974

Eric Tabor Oakland145 1982

Brian Guthrie Oakland185 1995

Angelo Giasante La Vergne140 1997

Kenny Meredith Blackman189 2005

Michael Kennedy Blackman189 2010

Eric Feuerbacher Blackman125 2011

Scottie Boykin Riverdale195 2013

Sean Kennedy Blackman170 2014

The records above is a decent example of what is happening in Rutherford co. For some 30 years a state medal was fairly rare, and like a state champ like every ten years. Things are improving now. ...Thanks to Hamm, *Gonyea, *Kennedy, *Kremer's open mats & connections just up the road, The Heath Brothers, Jones and now many more.

*(wrestled up north)

Edited by Sommers

For those of you who think a small school div team cant make some noise and get their boys to the top wrestling programs in the nation, feast on this...

Scottsboro's Brandon Womack: 'The best I've ever seen in Alabama' wraps up perfect year and sixth championship

Six-time state champ Brandon Womack, with Scottsboro coach Daryle Qualls (Sarah Cole/[email protected])

By Mark McCarter 
on February 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM, updated 
February 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Kyle Wilson, a senior at Haydn High School with a shock of strawberry-blond hair and more than three-dozen wins to his credit this season, came bouncing off the mat and into the air.

Wilson was pinned in 35 seconds. But he was ecstatic. Early in the match, he had managed to somehow extricate himself from the grasp of Brandon Womack, a feat somewhere along the lines of a handcuffed Houdini escaping from an underwater cage and bobbing to the surface.

"I got two! I got two!" Wilson exclaimed. As he held up two fingers, leaping into his coach's embrace, it was the closest to a "V for victory sign" that 77 wrestlers could hoist this season against Womack.

On Saturday afternoon at the Von Braun Center, Womack, a senior at Scottsboro High, won his record-tying sixth state championship. It completed his high school career with a 422-8 record (five of those losses coming as a seventh-grader) and his 77-0 record this season is the most wins in an undefeated season in state history. His first-period victory over Mortimer Jordan's Devyn McCombs in the finals was his 327th career pin.

Brandon Womack (top) takes control over Kyle Wilson in first-round match at state tournament (Sarah Cole/[email protected])

"I've coached five All-Americans and one Dave Schultz Award (for best wrestler in the state) winner, and he's the best I've ever coached," said Scottsboro coach Daryle Qualls. "Honestly, I've been on this mat for 44 years. He's the best I've ever seen in Alabama. Nobody's accomplished what he's done."

"Pretty doggone good. You've got to give him a lot of credit. He's pretty impressive," said Grissom coach Joe Dasaro, who has known Womack "since he was a little pipsqueak."

Those credentials and that reputation precede every trip onto the mat for Womack, who is headed on scholarship to Cornell University, the sixth-ranked team in the NCAA. You don't know how many of his were matches won partly by intimidation, or if indeed he had it tougher than most, the old desperado tested by all the young gunslingers.

"I hear it," Womack said. "It's hard not to."

And when a gunslinger like Wilson reverses him for two points, Womack knows that "anything can happen in any match. You have to know how to wrestle from any position."

What has kept Womack focused and motivated is a bit of artwork Qualls commissioned several years ago.

"It says, 'If what you've done yesterday is something, you haven't done anything today,'" Womack recited. "I just live by that."

"If I put something up on the wall, it's there for a reason," Qualls said. "Some people walk by it every day. Brandon will look at that and dissect it and see how that will make him better."

What separates Womack from others is a relentless passion and work ethic.

He was three, maybe four years old, when he became enamored with the sport, as older brother "Little Billy" wrestled, rolling around on the mat. When Brandon was seven, he told his parents Billy and Teresa, "I want to be the best I can be." The elder Womack agreed to do what he could as long as Brandon put in the work.

"There's going to be sacrifices other kids won't make," Billy told him. To which his son responded, "That's what I want."

AHSAA state wrestling: Scottsboro's Brandon Womack wins sixth straight state championship 2.15.2014

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Scottsboro's Brandon Womack tied a State Record with winning his sixth straight Wrestling Championship. Womack went 77-0 for his senior season and finished his high school career with 422 win and 8 losses. 377 of the wins came by pins.(Robert Ballard/rocketcitysports.com)

That meant a lot fewer visits to the condo in Ormond Beach, a lot more summer-time wrestling camps and clinics. Each of the last few summers, Womack has spent a month training at a high-level camp in Atlanta.

"This is not something he just does for four months," Qualls said.

All those hours, there has been much perfected.

"His technique is so flawless," Qualls said. "He pays so much attention to the little bitty small stuff."

"Brandon a very skilled person on the mat in school," said teammate Matthew Franco. "He pushes himself to the limits."

All those hours, there is no burn-out.

"I love it. The anticipation, nerves, you never know what's going to happen," Womack said, adding what sounds like something else Qualls would have painted on a wall or hung on a poster: "You have to be better than the best person on your worst day."

Womack's final high school match coincided with another depature.

Saturday also marked the final day of Qualls' coaching career at Scottsboro. He's 59 now, coming off back surgery, the result of rolling around on wrestling mats for a majority of those years. Up to two years ago, he'd wrestle kids on his team to instruct them.

A bunch of his former wrestlers came to the meet, including some of those All-Americans. He gathered them all together for a photograph, Womack included.

"I was hoping we could go out with a state championship as a team," Qualls said, "but going out with some individual state champions is a good thing. And when you go out with the best guy that's ever wrestled in Alabama, that's pretty lucky."

for video and pix...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/scottsboros_brandon_womack_the.html