Oak Ridge @ Farragut

Space3

I suspect its about time teams returned to power formations. Spread formation has had a good run, but as cyclical as football is I think teams will start moving toward something different. There was a time wing-t was the rage in this region of the state. Now that most teams run a version of a 3 front defensively do you agree that offenses will begin to evolve away from the spread?

I do agree that the spread is just another gimmick offense, and teams will learn how to neutralize it, just like we saw with the triple option, wing-T, wishbone, etc. I'm sure eventually the pendulum will swing back, but I don't think we'll ever see the widespread return of power football. There is less and less emphasis on a power running game at every level of football nowadays. Kids are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. Plus with all of the recent concussion issues, I just don't think power football will make much of a widespread comeback.

That being said, it hasn't stopped Beech and Jalen Hurd from successfully running dive play after dive play out of a jumbo formation. Powell utilizes it from time to time as well.

Still have nightmares of Bohannon and Summers on the toss sweep from the I formation.

Them were the days. Excuse my language, but da@! i loved that power offense we used to run back when those guys played. Then add in Shawn Williams, who was also another great I-formation RB for us. I know that when Hale was @ OR he ran the veer. Back then nobody knew about it and we used to run it down people's throats because most teams had never seen it run before in that day and age. Teams caught on to it after awhile, though. I wish power football would make a return, to at least hs football where the players aren't near as big and fast as college and nfl players. Power football was what defined OR football for many many years.