Oak Ridge @ Farragut

Space3

As I've said before this game worries me. Farragut will be more experienced at QB and have a size and experience advantage up front. We will have more speed and the energy/confidence we have with Gaddis will be an intangible advantage, but I'm not sure any of this will be enough.

To respond to an earlier post about Farragut numbers and such. I counted at the Rhea Co. scrimmage and we had 65 in pads, dressed out, and 7 not dressed, injured. Of those injured, three are starters from last year who should be ready to go Monday, Tuesday at the latest. I must say the poster is correct about the freshman team, I was told by a freshman parent that only have 25 kids on the team, I am sure they will pick up a couple when school starts, but that still only gets to 27-29 kids, which is very small. I must say several of the ones that have can flat play. There is some very good talent on that freshman team. 

As for starting 2 or 3 sophomores on the offensive line, that is a lie. From what I have seen at practice and the scrimmage there is only 1 sophomore starting, 1 junior, and 3 seniors. The junior is a stud, and has the size to go major D-1 if he can continue to develop.

While the poster is entitled to his opinion, I believe the defense will be improved from last year. After talking to one of the coaches, he says the the coverage scheme is much more simple than it has been in recent years due to the knew secondary coach, who has been at Powell for 20+ years.

I would like to get a chance to see OR scrimmage sometime before the game. Any news on upcoming OR scrimmages?

Farragut is very big up front in the offensive line, they will try to push OR around.  Quarterback does return, same guy from last year, good runner and passer.  They have a definate advantage with the Week Zero game vs DB, although I hear DB is down due to heavy graduation losses from their 12-1 playoff team in 2012.  I thought the game is at Farragut, not Kingsport, where it was last year.  Would like to see a large crowd of Oak Ridge fans journey to Fox Den to get the second Joe Gaddis era off to a good start. Too bad they tore down the Frontier House, and replaced it with a bank!  Miss the burgers and beers there.....I see the game being close, with mistakes making the difference, the old Neyland Maxim holds true here, the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Farragut goes back to DB this year there first four out of five are on the road OR is the only game at home.  Fulton, LC, West, and DB away.  They scrimmage Alcoa this friday we will see how good they will be but then we will here Alcoa should beat Farragut a 3A school beating a 6A school.  I see Farragut maybe 1-4 in there first 5 games after that see how many are hurt to finish out the season.  Not much after the first group Rhea won 21-0 on the JV game.

Edited by Goman01

I've seen some of Oak Ridges practices and I think the upcoming scrimmages will tell us a lot.

The Quaterback situation will be settled I think. The Senior Young should get the start in my book. He is a good athlete, and makes better decisions than the rest of the quarterbacks. Henderson should be used at QB but only  as a situational QB. JUST MY OPINION. Fadnick(?) should be a stud next 2 years!!

As the season progresses, they will have several quality options at RB. Fresh legs should not be a problem for the Cats.

It will come down to the O line and the defense as a whole in my opinion. Lots of speed.

Wildcats shock some people and win this one!!

Not sure why Farragut has to travel up to Kingsport again this year, but it will be very telling for them. Farragut's lack of depth (while not as bad as Goman01 would have you believe) could really be an issue should some injuries occur, particularly in the OL. Skill-wise Farragut has plenty of depth, although some are young. This year's sophomores beat OR and Maryville last season as freshmen, so there are some talented players in that group. I think Farragut will have to play well to beat OR this year, but being at home will help.

Can any of the wildcat folks tell me anything about the current wildcat's scheme? Has Gaddis returned OR to the I formation he had so much success with during his last tenure? Haven't kept up with what his teams have been doing offensively since he left.

Edited by STARPOWER

Can any of the wildcat folks tell me anything about the current wildcat's scheme? Has Gaddis returned OR to the I formation he had so much success with during his last tenure? Haven't kept up with what his teams have been doing offensively since he left.

Nope. We are still running the all familiar today spread option type formation. Just a little bit different blocking scheme, but not much different then what Blade ran while at OR. Seems he has added a few I-Formation plays in there too, though. All in all pretty much what everybody else is running this day and age in hs football.

I suspect its about time teams returned to power formations. Spread formation has had a good run, but as cyclical as football is I think teams will start moving toward something different. There was a time wing-t was the rage in this region of the state. Now that most teams run a version of a 3 front defensively do you agree that offenses will begin to evolve away from the spread?