ensworth and knox webb short a ball game

fredjones

Saw on TSSAA.org where Ensworth and Knox Webb both have 9 games. They both have an open date on September 6th. That would be a great game. Webb also has an open date on September 27th. If they can't agree with Ensworth, then they could call Maplewood. They have an open date on the 27th.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Webb wanted to play Ensworth, they would be in AA. They only have a few more students than Ensworth does. They would rather play schools that have half the number of students they do or less. Go ahead Webb fans and tell us how people go to Webb for other than sports so that makes it ok. We all know they are different than Zion Christian, Kings, MJCA, DCA and Ezell Harding where athletes are beating down the door to get in. Go ahead and blast me. Im ready :)

If Webb wanted to play Ensworth, they would be in AA. They only have a few more students than Ensworth does. They would rather play schools that have half the number of students they do or less. Go ahead Webb fans and tell us how people go to Webb for other than sports so that makes it ok. We all know they are different than Zion Christian, Kings, MJCA, DCA and Ezell Harding where athletes are beating down the door to get in. Go ahead and blast me. Im ready :)

I am not blasting anyone, but for historical purposes, Ensworth/Webb has not been much of a series. Webb and Ensworth have played 3 times, with the following results:

2007 (the first year Ensworth had Freshman through Seniors and their first full season of varsity football) Ensworth 57 Webb 21

2008 Ensworth 28 Webb 7

While playing in D2-AA during 2007 and 2008, Webb compiled an overall record of 11-10, with a district record of 4-7. Webb then moved down to D2-A, where they won the 2009 and 2010 State Championship and compiled an overall record of 25-1.

2011 Ensworth 40 Webb 0

I am not blasting anyone, but for historical purposes, Ensworth/Webb has not been much of a series. Webb and Ensworth have played 3 times, with the following results:

2007 (the first year Ensworth had Freshman through Seniors and their first full season of varsity football) Ensworth 57 Webb 21

2008 Ensworth 28 Webb 7

While playing in D2-AA during 2007 and 2008, Webb compiled an overall record of 11-10, with a district record of 4-7. Webb then moved down to D2-A, where they won the 2009 and 2010 State Championship and compiled an overall record of 25-1.

2011 Ensworth 40 Webb 0

I think we are making the same point here.

Webb is playing in the division that suits it best. It is in an awkward spot, as it is not competitive in DII's top flight and is dominant in the lower division. However, as the lower division adds quality schools, competition is becoming better. It's ridiculous to blast a team just because it refuses to play up.

Webb is playing in the division that suits it best. It is in an awkward spot, as it is not competitive in DII's top flight and is dominant in the lower division. However, as the lower division adds quality schools, competition is becoming better. It's ridiculous to blast a team just because it refuses to play up.

Young man....Glad to see you posting again

Playing Maryville & Baylor first two games is playing up for Webb in my opinion. Agree with WesVLT, they are playing where the TSSAA put them... so really nobody should have a beef with that.

The TSSAA also put Ensworth and Brentwood Academy in D2 A. I guess nobody would have an issue if they chose to stay there as well.

My beef is not with Webb - they are, as you say, playing in the division that TSSAA put them in. My beef is with TSSAA for making the cutoff between D2-A and D2-AA too high. It is currently at 500 students. This puts Webb, with TSSAA enrollment of 453 students in the same division with schools that have as few as 123 students (which means that each class at that school has about 15 boys). Assuming that every boy at that school played football, the team would have about 60 players. It is simply unrealistic to believe that schools of that size can compete with a school like Webb in football.

Webb's region games in D2-A this year are against Friendship (TSSAA enrollment of 217), DCA (237), BGA (324), Ezell-Harding (230) and King's Academy (168). That means that they have 129 more students than the next biggest school they play (BGA) and about or more than twice as many students as the other four region teams that they play. This does not make for a competitive situation in a sport like football, which requires a certain minimum number of players to be competitive. The average score of Webb's regular season region games last year (excluding a win by forfeit) was 46-5. I can guarantee you those games were not fun for the kids from the tiny schools that were getting creamed on a regular basis. One team actually had to forfeit a game against Webb because they had a couple of injuries, which left them without enough players to field a team that week.

I believe that the TSSAA should move the cutoff between D2-A and D2-AA to 400 students, which would move Webb up to play against similar-sized schools like Ensworth (422 students) and BA (473). As it stands with the current cutoff, D2-AA has only 9 teams for football (plus Ensworth and BA, both of which move up to make a total of 11). Moving the cutoff to 400 would ensure that D2-AA, arguably the best division in the State, would have a minimum of 12 teams every year. This would also pit Webb against schools with similar missions, rather than against the very small primarily parochial schools which it has been beating up on for the last several years. Once again, I am not faulting Webb - they are breaking no rules - but I am asking that the TSSAA take a look at changing the cutoff from 500 to 400. Anyone else have any thoughts on this???