8-AA 2013-14

dctiger

I know it's really early (not even football season!) but what does everyone think? I posted this near the end of last season in a different topic;

1. Upperman-return some good players, but will need to find a post game.

2. Livingston-Eldridge will be the centerpiece. Will need to find guard play.

3. Macon/York-don't really know anything about Macon, but they always competed when they were in 8-AA. York returns some good players, including freshman of the year Blevins.

5. DeKalb-DC will still have Roller, Lomas, Bone, and Patterson, but losing one of the most successful senior classes in school history will hurt. They could be dangerous by tournament time, though. Will HAVE to develop a post game.

6. Smith-lost some really good players off of a team that still struggled. Melton will have them in the right direction eventually, but it may take another couple of seasons.

7. Cannon-Henley is a dangerous player. The lions could definitely be higher. I think Larson is returning as well. I'm really unsure about putting CC this low, to be honest. 5, 6, and 7 could go many different directions I think.

8. Central-NO disrespect intended here, but the Central Tigers will have to get some wins in the district before I can put them higher. I'm not sure if they've even had a close game yet. But still, there's too much talent in the Buro for them to stay at the bottom forever.

Now, after seeing some summer games, I would probably lower DC and York and make Smith a little higher.

DC was having issues with rebounding and ball control. I know summer camps aren't a great measuring tool since players are just coming off of other sports but having a post game is going to be DeKalbs bigger challenge.

Smith was very impressive.

York may look better as the season gets closer but at the time, they were losing to teams that they should have been beating.

Yeah still a bit to early for a basketball thread. I agree for the most part with everything you said, however I would put LA number one and Upperman at two. It's just hard to not have LA in the top spot until a team takes it from them. Yeah I know DC won the regular season title last season but in the end LA still got it done versus us in the district and region championship games.

The days of one team dominating this district are probably over. It's so early but nice to think about. Upperman probably returns the most experience, and LA is used to playing deep into the post season. But LA and DC lost tons no matter how you slice it. Upperman must replace one of the best post players and quickest guards too. Actually, the race for first place may be wide open. Smith County may be the most improved team. Cannon and Macon looked good this summer too.

Hope they get it together. Defense and rebounding was lackluster when i watched them in camps. Whether camps are a good measuring gauge or not (most people think not), the Tigers definitely have a lot of work to do during the next three months. Varsity is very small height-wise.

Edited by dctiger

Hope they get it together. Defense and rebounding was lackluster when i watched them in camps. Whether camps are a good measuring gauge or not (most people think not), the Tigers definitely have a lot of work to do during the next three months. Varsity is very small height-wise.

Better get good at making 3s then if they got no height.

They have height, just no experienced height. Bone saw good minutes last year, but that's about it.

The main problem i saw was that they didn't box out well at all this summer. Even an undersized team can rebound decently if they commit to boxing out. That just wasnt there yet. I hope it will be when November rolls around, though.

Edited by dctiger

How many returning starters will DC have coming back this season dctiger? How many non starters played an significant amount of time last season? You said this team has some height, but still has things to work on. I was wondering if you know how tall our tallest player is and the height of the top 7 or 8 guys that will start or see alot of playing time.  Do we have any incoming freshman who may step into a big role?

Roller and Lomas were part-time starters coming back.

Theyre joined by freshman Steven Jennings, Aaron Patterson and Justin Bone.

Bone is probably 6'2", give or take an inch. And he's the tallest starter.

If i remember correctly, Devonta Milan, Kalab Ferrell, Cody Hattaway and Johnathan Munoz were some subs i remembered, but someone correct me if im wrong, because i could be missing someone.

Ferrell and Hattaway are seniors that havent played since middle school, so they have some catching up to do. They did show some promise though. I Hattaway is the tallest out of this group. Around 6'3" i think. But both Milan and Ferrell can jump out of the gym.

Jennings is the only freshman that played varsity and i was very impressed. I only hope that basketball doesnt fall to the wayside since he's also playing football and baseball. I understand how three sports can wear on a kid, though.