AA contenders

knightsfan

EHS

Having 6'6" at the right side might slow down the outside at Sullivan.CAK has beaten them once this season.  Lets hope we can do it again.  the better question is,  do they have some one that can slow our right side hitter.  She is a completely different animal than she was at the beginning of the year.  She is much stronger and smarter with her choices of where to put the ball down.  If they meet,  im sure it will be a great match. I think the Dark Horse in this tourny will be Hume Fogg.  Heard they were pretty good this year.

I think the big kid for CAK has found a home on the right side.  She can be a force blocking against the good outside hitters in the state tournament.  She can be intimidating, that is for sure, especially if you have not seen her before.   I think her hitting has improved on that side since the beginning of the season.  She is a cross court hitter and many teams do not play very good defense on the right side, especially setters since they tend to want to transition to the net early.  When she learns to hit a consistent line shot she will be very hard to stop.  I think she is not quite quick enough to be a good middle either defensively or offensively.  And it is easier to set her on the right side especially in transition.  Good move by CAK coach to put her on the right side.  Just some thoughts.

Beach

I understand Orcat's argument.  Last year she played Middle and was very effective.  If she had worked as hard at middle as she has on rightside she would be awesome there. i dont think her speed at middle on offense is a problem.  they have set her several times at middle this year and she is so quick at the hit that you can not defend it. I think she would be a force to wrecken with at the middle but her goal is to play rightside.   Plus we have another tall player in the middle.  she is very green but i have been impressed at how quickly she is learning.  she has very little power on the hitt but is getting smarter at where she places it. 

Edited by EBTHER

Typically the strongest hitter in HS is going to be your outside or your middle.  It is not as easy as moving your outside hitter to the rightside to avoid a 6'6" rightside blocker.  CAK also has a middle that is 6'1" who is effective as well.  these two girls are on the floor at the same time and build a pretty big wall. Our setter is short but also seems to block very well so i dont think it really matters where the big girl is. She is also hitting some outside and the middle at times as well on a few of the rotations so he is using her all over the front row.  The Coach at UCF has recruited her to play right side so if it is good enough for him,  why not?

College game is different. You lose so much offensively by putting her at the right side. She would get three to four times the swings in the middle. Look, I know you want to justify this, but I don't agree. I don't think it will matter, CAK won't lose a game at state. No one has the talent or size. Other than an injury you are state champs.

EB you have to love your draw! South and Fogg on the opposite of the bracket and they play each other first. Nice to have a couple of easy warm up games to start.

Nice to have a 6'6 right side and force teams to make changes because of that.  Especially when they might not be used to.  Special right sides can be devastating to opponents.  I would love to have a player with that size causing opponents to change their game.  Wow!  And CAK already has a serviceable middle as some of you have said.  Now teams need to deal with a right side player that they have not had to deal with all year.  CAK is forcing teams to adapt to them, good position to be in.  And to go back to Orcat, it is easier to set the middle in serve receive on a consistent basis as opposed to transition.  If you are in system all of the time, the middle is great.  However, if you are playing against really good teams, then you may not be able to get the ball to your middle as often as you would like to.  And most defenses especially in high school are not set up to defend a strong right side player.  I do not believe for a second that the CAK coach is structuring his team around what any college coach would want to see their recruits do.  If that is the case then those who are being negative about that coach would be right.  Don't see it though.  I think he is coaching his team to be the best team it can be.  Team play is the priority for this coach.  I still say ultimately that if you force a team out of their normal play, then you have the upper hand.  Go ahead and set the ball in front of my 6'6 wall.  I would love it.

Edited by beachboy