Knoxville Volleyball Academy vs. K2 vs PR

Volley22

Great thoughts and ideas from all of you.  It is always good to hear from Bratman, as he has been a regular on CoachT for a long time.  It seems as though there are many individual reasons for choosing a specific club, especially if they really are that diverse.  If a player is on a "1" team and travels alot, I am sure that the cost for having a daughter on that team will be much higher than 3K, especially when you factor all the travel expenses in for a family many times during the season.  And I do agree that you need to look carefully into the real abilities of the coaches your daughter will have.  I had a high school AD tell me that the toughest coaching position to hire for in Knoxville (hands down) is a varsity volleyball coach.  If you want someone with experience as a teacher and coach, who also fits into the mold of a role model needed for our high school kids they are hard to find.  At least that was his opinion.  So if there are 3 clubs now, how diluted will the coaching pool become?  I have always been of the belief that not all good players are good coaches.  They can become that, but it takes time and the willingness to learn from a good mentor.  And as many business people will attest it is hard to find people who will always do things the right way.  And if my daughter is involved, I want someone that will ALWAYS do the right thing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coaching pool will not get hit at all in knoxville. I went on the KVA site and no one from K2 or PR on their coaching roster. That doesn't mean the coaching pool is strong in the first place though. Since this topic was started I began to ask questions about the new club (KVA). I have received many bad reviews from the middle school parents and the CBFO parents. Don't get me wrong there were some good ones but I would say the ratio was 4:1 (bad to good). Just because a new club starts up doesn't mean it's going to be a good one. Only time will tell.

So Bigbluevolley, what are some of the positives you have heard about KVA?  Negatives?  I think you are correct in the assumption that just because a new club begins it is not necessarily going to be a good one.  I have heard the KVA facility is not ready yet, is that one of the main complaints?  I like to hear from others whenever I am in the market to buy something new.  Word of mouth usually carries alot of weight.  And you are right, time will tell.  However, I tend to believe that as with all startups (restaurants), there are usually a few hiccups along the way as the business matures.  I would expect some with KVA as well.

CBFO complaints seem to be real. We had a parent want to know where all of the money was going? Big Blue do the people that own CBFO also run the new club? Our Coach is working with the new club and I don't know how I feel about that. I wish a club would come into the area that was run independent of the high schools and CBFO.

K2 is used to recruit to Webb. PR is used to recruit to Karns. The new club seems to be set up by Bearden, CBFO and CAK.

Doesn't this seem inappropriate? Surely there are enough volleyball people not affiliated with a specific high school in the area to operate a club.

CBFO stands for Cedar Bluff Farragut Optimist. It has board members and those board members make the final decisions on things. Each sport has their own manager and the volleyball manager does not own KVA. The only club that has been set up to help a certain high school is PR. That is why it was put in motion and that's why it still is in existance. K2 was started well before the owner began coaching at webb. KVA has been set up (from what I understand) as an alternative to K2. I don't know that for a fact but that's what I'm hearing. Some of Webb's volleyball players play at K2 but not all. I think the high school coaches (that know how to coach) should get involved with club volleyball. It would help all the girls in this area.

I think CBFO is just renting court space from KVA.  Probably getting harder and harder to get consistent gym time in Knox County.  As far as high school coaches getting involved with clubs, that can be pretty tricky.  You cannot coach your own girls, and some coaches do not want to coach other teams girls that they would comete against.  Also as an earlier poster said concerning K2 and PR, the high school coaches would probably be accused of recruiting for their school.  There may not be alot of incentive for some coaches to throw themselves out there.  KVA more than likely was started as an alternative to K2 and/or PR.  But that can be a good thing, competition should bring out the best in everyone.  Just like the players who are on the court are asked to do each day in practice and while playing matches.

• 3 months later...

My daughter hasn not played a game yet as her team has been practicing and working out this whole time at K2.  She has become so much more muscular and fit than she was in high school.  The work outs are really tough but she loves them and the coaching staff has been great to her. Their first tournement is next weekend so we will see if all of the training has been worth it.