Ensworth's emergence has killed the D2 board

nosidj

Who's irrelevant?  BA and MBA?  Those are two of the most storied programs in Tennessee football history, and they are far from irrelevant in 2013.  All three boast ridiculous facilities.

MBA is undefeated, and BA, as usual, has more talent than anyone in the state.  They're simply young this year. 

I do not have the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet a decent sum that MBA's endowment is substantially greater than BA's and Ensworth's combined.  Neither BA nor Ensworth have the history or the sheer numbers of wealthy alumni that MBA enjoys.  Like it or not, MBA is by far the most succesful institution in Middle Tennessee in terms of developing Nashville's leaders past and present and developing the financial support from those leaders.

It's going to be fun watching which school can outspend the other.  Ensworth is winning the telethon right now, but you know BA and MBA won't take that for long.  The question is how long?  How long are those schools willing to be irrelevent and how much are they willing to spend?

As far as the topic of the thread goes, many of us go to coacht on occasion to see if there is anything of interest to discuss.  The problem is that most of what gets discussed on here these days is simply garbage and trash talk from people that simply don't understand the bigger picture.  Some of us still like to engage in relevant and meaningful "conversation"; however, most folks on this board these days have a sense of self-worth that is highly inflated, and their knowledge of the game and the institutions is simply lacking.

• Upvote 1

It's going to be fun watching which school can outspend the other.  Ensworth is winning the telethon right now, but you know BA and MBA won't take that for long.  The question is how long?  How long are those schools willing to be irrelevent and how much are they willing to spend?

This is a great example of the type of ignorant, infantile post which has driven many of the D2 people from these boards. We simply have better things to do than spend time reading trash like this.

• Upvote 1

I do not have the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet a decent sum that MBA's endowment is substantially greater than BA's and Ensworth's combined.  Neither BA nor Ensworth have the history or the sheer numbers of wealthy alumni that MBA enjoys.  Like it or not, MBA is by far the most succesful institution in Middle Tennessee in terms of developing Nashville's leaders past and present and developing the financial support from those leaders.

Per the schools' respective web sites, MBA currently has an endowment of $54 million while Ensworth currently has an endowment of $71.2 million. Unless BA has a "negative endowment", you would lose your "decent sum" if anyone takes you up on that bet. Check it out - more and more of the wealthy alumni from MBA (and from Harpeth Hall) are sending their children to Ensworth.

Edited by RedRobin1

First, I don't give a flip about any of the 3 schools.  I simply made an observation based on facts.

My original question is valid. It will take large amounts of cash to unseat Ensworth. How much and how long depends on several factors.  Its been 6 years ('07-'08 season) since either BA or MBA won the state in football.  Given the winning traditions of both schools, do you think that sits well?  The truth is that Ensworth has established itself as the new norm, like it or not.  And they've done that with $$$.  I don't care how much money each has in its endowments.  My original question was how much will they be willing to spend to become relevent again in football. 

MBA tried to make a difference by delivering cash to its players or "forgetting" to ask certain players to pay their tuition balance, but that didn't end so well.  BA goes to Texas to get its next coach and that looks like a bright move so far.

I wasn't trying to but I certainly hit a nerver for something that means so little.

The only nerve you struck is your baseless implication that money somehow "buys" athletic success. The fact that in your case the unfounded allegations come from a CPA supporter adds a touch of delicious irony to the debate. "Work-study program" anyone??? If you have a valid point, please make it so that we can understand what you are trying to say.

BA may have gone to Texas for a coach; CPA simply went down the road to hire an MBA alumni away from Ensworth. You are happy with your head coach, but you disparage the schools which spawned him? I am not sure I understand your point in this regard either - please explain.

I agree with all of the posts. Very informative. I did think that MUS or Briarcrest or some school from Memphis would have taken the reigns and dominated. I just figured there is more talent pool and less competition to get the kids on that end of the state.

Nosidj I assume when you say "get the kids" you mean "recruit" the kids? With that said there is definitely lots of talent and probably more competition because their competing with several public schools as well. In more than one state.

Per the schools' respective web sites, MBA currently has an endowment of $54 million while Ensworth currently has an endowment of $71.2 million. Unless BA has a "negative endowment", you would lose your "decent sum" if anyone takes you up on that bet. Check it out - more and more of the wealthy alumni from MBA (and from Harpeth Hall) are sending their children to Ensworth.

I'm curious as to where that $71.2 million figure came from. I didn't see it on their website and it's about 30% higher than I had heard.  Either way, it's a pretty impressive number for a school with less than a decade of history.  Of course, it's almost all thanks to HCA's most recent IPO and subsequent dividend recaps, but what over there hasn't been handed down from Tommy Frist?

Regardless of who's endowment is bigger, EHS' has nothing to do with "more and more wealthy alumni from MBA and Harpeth Hall sending their children to EHS."  That's why the football field is littered with the sons of former MBA greats, right?  Wait, TIny Richardson's dad isn't an MBA alum?  I guess it doesn't matter because he left EHS so he could qualify for college.  But surely Corey Batey, Tavarres, Orleans, Corn, Rico, Ferby, Sam Cooper, Michael Sawyer, Jacob Carter, Heinz, Fentress, Sheffield and the McDermotts, surely their Dads are MBA alums?  Not one?  That's wierd because I thougth all the MBA alums were sending their kids to EHS.   Isn't the EHS Board of Trust full of MBA alums?  Nope. 

I'm curious as to where that $71.2 million figure came from. I didn't see it on their website and it's about 30% higher than I had heard.  Either way, it's a pretty impressive number for a school with less than a decade of history.  Of course, it's almost all thanks to HCA's most recent IPO and subsequent dividend recaps, but what over there hasn't been handed down from Tommy Frist?

Regardless of who's endowment is bigger, EHS' has nothing to do with "more and more wealthy alumni from MBA and Harpeth Hall sending their children to EHS."  That's why the football field is littered with the sons of former MBA greats, right?  Wait, TIny Richardson's dad isn't an MBA alum?  I guess it doesn't matter because he left EHS so he could qualify for college.  But surely Corey Batey, Tavarres, Orleans, Corn, Rico, Ferby, Sam Cooper, Michael Sawyer, Jacob Carter, Heinz, Fentress, Sheffield and the McDermotts, surely their Dads are MBA alums?  Not one?  That's wierd because I thougth all the MBA alums were sending their kids to EHS.   Isn't the EHS Board of Trust full of MBA alums?  Nope.

Awesome, you named 15 kids who have attended EHS at some point during its history who have fathers that did not attend MBA. And your point is???? I could name more than that who are at the school now whose parents did attend MBA and/or Harpeth Hall, but I won't because I do not believe that it is appropriate for an adult (which I assume you to be) to name high school kids on a public web site for anything other than accolades. I am not sure exactly what I get from the undertone of your message, but I do not think it is a good thing and I hope it does not reflect the culture these days over on West End. The fact is that a growing number of alums from MBA and HH are sending their kids to Ensworth.

As far as "Frist money", that family has been very generous to Ensworth. I am not sure what your point is regarding that either, but I suggest that you compare Ensworth's donor list with the Forbes list of Tennessee's wealthiest people. You may be surprised at the similarity. You might also want to be sure of your facts before publishing your hypothesis on why a student transferred schools. Frankly, that situation is simply none of your business and is certainly not a topic that is appropriate for discussion on a public message board.

As for the endowment amount, go to Ensworth.com, click on "Admission" and then on "Fast Facts". You may learn some other interesting tidbits about the school there as well.

Edited by RedRobin1

I lose again; just like Vegas!

To your point, I think that some MBA and HH alumni are sending their kids on to Ensworth or keeping them there as many attend Ensworth's lower school prior to matriculating on to MBA.  As Ensworth continues to prove the quality of its education, more and more will choose to keep their kids there.

I am not sure exactly what I get from the undertone of your message, but I do not think it is a good thing and I hope it does not reflect the culture these days over on West End. The fact is that a growing number of alums from MBA and HH are sending their kids to Ensworth.

Frankly, I haven't understood the undertone of your messages since you started denigrating the National Merit Scholarship Corporation several weeks back (http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/232700-best-coach-in-dii/?p=2988896).  You seem on top of things in general, but I remain baffled as to how you could infer, with a straight face, that an abundance of National Merit Semifinalists at a school but a lack of Presidential Scholars at the same school somehow indicates a chink in the armor of the school's academic program.

I don't know if the number of MBA and Harpeth Hall alums with kids at EHS is "growing".  Given that not a single EHS parent is an alum of the high school, the parents naturally have to come from somewhere else.  It would make sense that the number would grow at some point when starting from a zero base, but to say it is continually growing, I'd have to see some hard data to believe that. If you know the high schools backgrounds of the parents of the three schools as you purport, and matriculation patterns in general, in the spirit of transparency, you could at least acknowledge to this board a fairly significant exodus of 6th graders from EMS last year to rival schools, as well as the fact that both MBA's and Harpeth Hall's athletic teams, not to mention their student bodies in general, are still littered with legacy children (I, too, don't believe in mentioning names on a website, but look at the rosters on those schools' websites - it's all there in plain view for anyone with knowledge of the children's parents.  Heck, the name of one of the kids alone at the very top of one of those MBA rosters tells me that family ties don't mean everything in terms of where parents choose to send their kids.) Nevertheless, if the number is indeed growing, then I would surmise that there must be some sense of pride amongst those MBA and Harpeth Hall alums that their presence at the new school is contributing to the cachet of EHS - an ironic concept in all of this vitriolic banter.

I have grown tired of "the rivalry", and it has nothing to do with who wins or loses on whichever of the dozens of athletic fields/courts or who performs better on standardized tests or college applications. I still care about those things, but the fights aren't fair anymore.  The individual cases made are generally one-sided and shortsighted.  Most of us are too old to be participating in such petty jabbing of one another's schools. As TFF said in The Tennessean article a few weeks back, choices are needed in the community, and there is a role for single-sex schools and co-ed schools.  We should listen to this successful man; he's built a viable, attractive alternative for high school students in Nashville, and he seemingly got the educational pedigree to do it in part from somewhere that must be pretty decent itself.

• Upvote 1