DII-AA Rankings: Week 7

WesVLT

Here's some "food for thought"

MBA 24 CBHS 10 MBA "labors" to a win over a "mediocre" CBHS

MUS 45 CBHS 9 MUS "mercy rules" the Bros

Sound familiar? How did you factor THIS "small bit of evidence" Just curious. And don't start talking down to me again like I still don't understand the main reason for your ranking. I got it. Had it the whole time. Smarter than you think. (Week zero 36-7)

For what it's worth, after watching last night's games, I would rank BA #2. However, based on YOUR stated criteria, they should be #5 behind MBA, Baylor and Father Ryan. MBA has beaten everybody below them. You can't drop Baylor for losing to a powerhouse non-division team, regardless of the score. Moreover, Ryan both beat BA and lost to MBA by a narrower margin. McCallie would be #6 because they lost to BA by fewer points than MUS, who of course is #7, ahead of #8 CBHS, whom they beat head to head.

You're relentless. Different criteria combine to form any solid bit of analysis, but different people interpret data different ways. I hope that one day you consider my interpretation as valid as your own, even if you disagree with it. Now, let's move on to what should be an exciting week of football. Edited by WesVLT

You're relentless. Different criteria combine to form any solid bit of analysis, but different people interpret data different ways. I hope that one day you consider my interpretation as valid as your own, even if you disagree with it. Now, let's move on to what should be an exciting week of football.

You're relentless.  And blind.  I always considered your "interpretation" as valid as mine.  They're opinions.  Head to head results speak for themselves. I disagreed over your using "comparative scores" i.e. margin of victory (or defeat) against a common opponent as ANY basis - "smidgen" or otherwise - for comparing 2 teams.  I called it "stupid."  Irrelevant may have been a better term. I personally would never use it. You think otherwise or else you wouldn't ave tossed it out in the first place.  Apparently Red Robin and Meritage agreed with me.  Maybe BBD agreed with you - it's hard to tell.  Doesn't matter anyway.

I threw out the MBA-CBHS-MUS triad as an example of the fallacy of comparative scores.  It was a perfect analogy to the BA-LT-MUS triad.  MBA-CBHS was even a week 0 game just like the BA-MUS game. You didn't respond to that.  It doesn't fit into your scheme.  Using your "interpretation," those scores suggest that MUS might  be better than MBA, which if true, would destroy your entire poll from #2 down.  And just in case there are any MBA zealots reading this, I am not suggesting that MUS is better than MBA.  In fact, the above poll as I listed it with MUS as #7 is my actual "opinion" for week 8.  "Homer" that....

Edited by owlbooster

4) Brentwood Academy

Sure, everyone is dominating JPII these days. But the way the Eagles dismantled the Knights (57 points in the first half), combined with the preceding week's 45-0 shutout of Science Hill, suggest they're starting to click.

I regret that BA has no weak opponents left on their schedule.  I really enjoyed this "tap dance."  The "spin" spun me out of my recliner.   LOL

You're relentless. And blind. I always considered your "interpretation" as valid as mine. They're opinions. Head to head results speak for themselves. I disagreed over your using "comparative scores" against a common opponent as ANY basis - "smidgen" or otherwise - for comparing 2 teams. I called it "stupid." Irrelevant may have been a better term. I personally would never use it. You think otherwise or else you wouldn't ave tossed it out in the first place. Apparently Red Robin and Meritage agreed with me. Maybe BBD agreed with you - it's hard to tell.

I threw out the MBA-CBHS-MUS triad as an example of the fallacy of comparative scores. It was a perfect analogy of the BA-LT-MUS triad. MBA-CBHS was even a week 0 game just like the BA-MUS game. You didn't respond to that. It doesn't fit into your scheme. Using your "interpretation," those scores suggest that MUS might be better than MBA, which if true, would destroy your entire poll from #2 down. And just in case there are any MBA zealots reading this, I am not suggesting that MUS is better than MBA. In fact, the above poll as I listed it with MUS as #7 is my actual "opinion" for week 8. "Homer" that....

I'm choosing not to deal with you anymore. I've been around this site for 15 years, followed each DII team's rises and falls in that time and watched game film (or seen in person) of nearly every team in the league this year. The fact that my observations lead me to different opinions than you does not make me a homer, blind or anything like that. While I came here to rationally debate opinions, your condescending manner has made this thread untenable. Best of luck to the Owls this year -- I respect Coach Alston and hold the program in very high esteem. I would gladly respond to each of your points, but I'd rather spend my Saturday productively. Edited by WesVLT

I'm choosing not to deal with you anymore. I've been around this site for 15 years, followed each DII team's rises and falls in that time and watched game film (or seen in person) of nearly every team in the league this year. The fact that my observations lead me to different opinions than you does not make me a homer, blind or anything like that. While I came here to rationally debate opinions, your condescending manner has made this thread untenable. Best of luck to the Owls this year -- I respect Coach Alston and hold the program in very high esteem. I would gladly respond to each of your points, but I'd rather spend my Saturday productively.

HEY WesVLT....this board has needed your input for a long time now. Don't let owlbooster rattle you. Sometimes it's best not to reply to these Gomers!

I'm choosing not to deal with you anymore. I've been around this site for 15 years, followed each DII team's rises and falls in that time and watched game film (or seen in person) of nearly every team in the league this year. The fact that my observations lead me to different opinions than you does not make me a homer, blind or anything like that. While I came here to rationally debate opinions, your condescending manner has made this thread untenable. Best of luck to the Owls this year -- I respect Coach Alston and hold the program in very high esteem. I would gladly respond to each of your points, but I'd rather spend my Saturday productively.

When I said you were "blind" I meant to what my actual stance has been, that you couldn't "see" and apparently still don't see that I am not advancing my "opinion" as better than yours.  You have chosen to see conflict where there is none because of your attitude. "Rationally debate opinions?"  Who are you kidding.  I gave you a half dozen reasons why the score margins against common opponents should have little if any significance and your response basically was YES it does.  That's rational debate? You blew me off right from the start, even though my initial post was only to agree with Red Robin's "opinion" that perhaps RECENT play MIGHT warrant ranking MUS ahead of BA, as I said for maybe just one week.  You disagreed.  BA whipped MUS head to head.  Fine.  No problem.  Can't "argue" that.  I repeat -  I really don't give a rat's behind about your poll or any poll.   But you brought up Liberty Tech.  Problem.  Not "rational" IMO. But you never understood that was the only point of contention.  And you still don't. You have made a "mountain out of a molehill."

I and many others as you have been following D2 since its inception and seen plenty of games live and in person.  You are not special in this regard. The fact that I live in Memphis and most of the D2 teams, better or otherwise, are not in Shelby County, is the main reason I rarely voice an opinion about game predictions, rankings, polls, etc.  Now I know better.  I'll leave it all up to the Nashville "cognoscenti."  

Next time you use the word "condescending" look into the mirror.  And even though I didn't call you a "homer" as you seem to think (you might want to read Meritage's post again), that is exactly what you are.  And there's nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by owlbooster

HEY WesVLT....this board has needed your input for a long time now. Don't let owlbooster rattle you. Sometimes it's best not to reply to these Gomers!

So I'm a GOMER now?  The attitude of you Nashville boyz.  No wonder you get so much hate mail from the rest of the state.  You know what they say about name calling....

I suggest you go back and read this blog from the start.  Wes' responses, including to comments I did not even address to him, have been repetitively off-base and increasingly defensive to an imaginary attack on his opinion.

Edited by owlbooster

Both teams seem to have gone through a slump or two and are playing better but BA did completely dominate mus albeit the first game of the year . Maybe if the play again its a closer game. I know both schools well and have ties to both programs. My humble opinion leads me to believe BA is still a better football team. That does not always mean they win .. Guess well see

So I'm a GOMER now? The attitude of you Nashville boyz. No wonder you get so much hate mail from the rest of the state. You know what they say about name calling....

I suggest you go back and read this blog from the start. Wes' responses, including to comments I did not even address to him, have been repetitively off-base and increasingly defensive to an imaginary attack on his opinion.

Both teams seem to have gone through a slump or two and are playing better but BA did completely dominate mus albeit the first game of the year . Maybe if the play again its a closer game. I know both schools well and have ties to both programs. My humble opinion leads me to believe BA is still a better football team. That does not always mean they win .. Guess well see

OK. I give up.  I too think that BA is better than MUS and would win a rematch, albeit by a closer margin.  I think that was a pretty clear implication when I said I would rank BA #2 and MUS #7 after last night's games.   Do you all get it?  I NEVER said MUS was better than BA, never said that Wes' ranking was "wrong." I did agree that Red Robin's ranking this week with MUS (and Ryan) ahead of BA was not unreasonable based on recent play.   I did disagree with using comparative margins against common opponents as a factor in ranking.   Period.  This has been blown way out of proportion.

I do however think that mus could beat Whitehaven ... Ha

Owlbooster we are just messing with you..no need to get so defensive. No ones knows who would win that re match .. It's just good to see Mus is not as bad as they looked the first game of the year. Honestly I was a little worried. After that game I thought either BA is really good this year or mus is in for a losing season.

We like you guys over here ... Always a little nerve racking to play mus to be honest. You guys are never an easy out for anyone when you are clicking

OK. I give up. I too think that BA is better than MUS and would win a rematch, albeit by a closer margin. I think that was a pretty clear implication when I said I would rank BA #2 and MUS #7 after last night's games. Do you all get it? I NEVER said MUS was better than BA, never said that Wes' ranking was "wrong." I did agree that Red Robin's ranking this week with MUS (and Ryan) ahead of BA was not unreasonable based on recent play. I did disagree with using comparative margins against common opponents as a factor in ranking. Period. This has been blown way out of proportion.

• Upvote 1

Everyone who visits this board (including this poster) is a homer to some degree.  Owl, Baylor, and Wes all support their teams and post through their schools' colored glasses; that should not matter.  We should all understand and know that prior to visiting this site.  I like that Wes attempts to rank the teams; he provides as good of an attempt as anyone else.  That said, his qualifications are no greater or lesser than Owl's, Baylor's, or anyone else's.  Wes has an opinion and states it; at least he makes the effort to do it. 

For the record, I believe that Brentwood Academy absolutely has the most athletic team again this year (pretty much every year for the past 20 years or so).  I think Ensworth's top 11 are better, but Brentwood has more quality depth.  It should be an interesting game coming up soon.  After Brentwood, I think that MBA, MUS, Baylor, and Ryan have the next best shot.  I guess that would sum up how I'd rank the top 6 as of this week...