RIP Coach Oail A. "Bum" Phillips

STARSNBARS

Fellers I know this is not a high school subject, but one of my great football coach heroes and men passed away last Friday, Oct.18 at the age of 90.

Bum was quite a character, WWII Marine "Raider" hero in the south Pacific, "aw shucks" football coach, and Christian.

Bum started his career as a high school coach in Texas and got his break into college coaching under the Bear at Texas A&M in 1958. Later he got his big break into the pros under Sid Gillman with the old AFL San Diego Chargers and advanced on up to become head coach of the old Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints.

Bum was a master of one liners and a few of my favorites are:

"The harder we played, the behider we got."

"You fail all the time, But you're not a failure until you start blaming somebody else."

On the great Tyler Rose, Earl Campbell and him not being able to finish the mile run in the alloted time, Bum said, "When it's 1st and a mile, I won't give it to him."

A quote about working with Coach Bryant and what he carried with him from working with the Bear, Bum said, "Coaching is not how much you know, It's about how much you can get your players to do."

After coaching Bum retired to his first love of ranching, raising cattle and  ranch cutting horses.

Probably the most amazing story about Bum was after his coaching days when one of his former players, ex Oiler TE Mike Barber asked Bum to come and speak at a prison where Mike was sharing the gospel in 1999. While Bum was there listening to the message that Mike was giving to the prisoners, Bum became convicted of his own sin and Mike led Bum to the Lord at the age of 76.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Bum's autobiography: "Bum Phillips: Coach, Cowboy, Christian."

Bum loved country music and fellow east Texan Gene Watson was his favorite singer. So I think this one is very appropiate for Bum.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxkMlJG4hE

Edited by STARSNBARS

Growing up in Texas during the 70's it was easy to be both a Cowboys fan and an Oilers fan since the teams were in separate conferences - I thought it would be awesome for both to make it to the Super Bowl.  Alas, the 70's Steelers were a bane to both teams....

Bum was a class act - he never wore his trademark hat in a closed stadium - when asked why he said "Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." 

Edited by jabbo