The Sunday Q&A with Bernard Childress: TSSAA may revise playoff system a

davidlimbaugh

http://www.dnj.com/article/20131027/NEWS/310270027/The-Sunday-Q-Bernard-Childress-TSSAA-may-revise-playoff-system-again-2015

The Sunday Q&A with Bernard Childress: TSSAA may revise playoff system again in 2015

I posted on this web-site the day they announced the new 'Z' system that is would cause more problems than it would solve.  I said then and I say now that non-district games should NEVER count in any high school sport. Imagine doing this for baseball or basketball.  Try scheduling non-district games then.   

I have used the example of Lavergne for years.  How they could schedule 'A' and 'AA' teams for out of district, win a couple of district games, get 6 or 7 wins and make the playoffs.

This year, my Riverdale fits that profile. Instead of playing Bradley Central (5-4), East Hamilton (7-2), Hendersonville (7-2) and Cane Ridge (5-4) perhaps we should have played Glencliff (0-9), Coffee Co (0-9), Knoxville Halls (0-9) and Portland (0-9).

Instead of being (3-6) (3-2 and sole possession of third in 7AAA) we could be (7-2) and in the playoffs headed into senior night against Smyrna.

Non-District games should NEVER come into play for the post-season.  If they don't then scheduling is far easier. 

What do YOU think?

http://www.dnj.com/article/20131027/NEWS/310270027/The-Sunday-Q-Bernard-Childress-TSSAA-may-revise-playoff-system-again-2015

The Sunday Q&A with Bernard Childress: TSSAA may revise playoff system again in 2015

I posted on this web-site the day they announced the new 'Z' system that is would cause more problems than it would solve.  I said then and I say now that non-district games should NEVER count in any high school sport. Imagine doing this for baseball or basketball.  Try scheduling non-district games then.   

I have used the example of Lavergne for years.  How they could schedule 'A' and 'AA' teams for out of district, win a couple of district games, get 6 or 7 wins and make the playoffs.

This year, my Riverdale fits that profile. Instead of playing Bradley Central (5-4), East Hamilton (7-2), Hendersonville (7-2) and Cane Ridge (5-4) perhaps we should have played Glencliff (0-9), Coffee Co (0-9), Knoxville Halls (0-9) and Portland (0-9).

Instead of being (3-6) (3-2 and sole possession of third in 7AAA) we could be (7-2) and in the playoffs headed into senior night against Smyrna.

Non-District games should NEVER come into play for the post-season.  If they don't then scheduling is far easier. 

What do YOU think?

I will agree.

What a lot of people seem to forget to point out is how this hurts the actual football players and quality of play in our state. 

In high school sports, non-district games allow for non-starters to get some playing time.   In baseball, the #4 or #5 pitcher and backup catcher get a start.  In basketball, a coach may rest his starters more and get the bench more time.   In football, it is a chance to get some backups and younger kids some snaps under the lights.   When you make every game 'count', this takes away that opportunity for the starters to get some rest and the bench to get some playing time.  

I wonder how this has impacted the quality of play of high school football across the state, especially early in a season, when rising seniors and juniors got some snaps the previous season under the old format but sit on the bench a lot more since the state went to the new system?

What do YOU think?

There are at least problems with never counting non-distict games. Counting over-all games makes for an easy tie-breaker. Otherwise, teams may feel the need to run up the score (the next likely tie-breaker). Secondly, (and this may be avoided if they go back to five classifications) there are quite a few districts with four teams. So it would be quite easy for teams to get in with three, or fewer, wins.  And even if there are at least six teams per district, teams could still win their district and make the post-season with a losing records. But I guess that could be a low-seeded team. 

Edited by midtnmale

This will never happen. Get rid of the Z-Plan and create a 64 team playoff(in place of 5A 32 and 6A 32) in AAA. District vs District in the playoffs. Everything stays local no more Williamson co to Shelby co 1st round games. Than teams like riverdale and blackman could keep lincoln co and tullahoma on there schedules and not have to go memphis or chattanooga to find games.

Edited by mjuhb

If your teams football coach says he does not understand the current playoff system and he would rather go back to the old top 4 in each district make the playoff system, then do you really want that kind of simpleton running your team?

The current playoff system is not hard to understand at all.

If you feel that non district games should not count towards being in the playoffs, then why play the games at all?

If you must go back to 5 classes, it is imparative that the multipier be reduced or eliminated all together.

• Upvote 1

Everything is driven by the almighty dollar!! I was outraged when I saw that TSSAA got 50% from every playoff game! WTH!!! Where in the heck does this money go? I personally think 6 classes is here to stay because of $$$!

Yup, 50% of the gate is rediculous, an do not forget about the private classes. Something that I have thought about is instead of takin like 50% of the gate in the playoffs would they not make more money if they only took like 2-5% but did it on every game played and not just the playoffs, at least then the schools that make the playoffs would also be rewarded more finacially.

If your teams football coach says he does not understand the current playoff system and he would rather go back to the old top 4 in each district make the playoff system, then do you really want that kind of simpleton running your team?

The current playoff system is not hard to understand at all.

If you feel that non district games should not count towards being in the playoffs, then why play the games at all?

If you must go back to 5 classes, it is imparative that the multipier be reduced or eliminated all together.

They've(TSSAA) have screwed up every year we've used it so far...they must all be simpletons... :popcorneater: I  too liked the simpleton system of 5 classes, just seemed more fair to me, and way less travel.