BA versus Ensworth

baylorbigdog1976

As I said, I considered the Baylor win to be a total fluke.  Having said that, I also considered the EHS win to be a bit of a fluke too, especially given that Elder went out in the 1st quarter.  Thus, I guess my position is that the Baylor win was a bigger fluke than the Ensworth win. You could add both of these games to KWoodroof's "Things I Didn't See Coming" category.   LOL

I too am not a big fan of "comparative scores."  However, they DID suggest that EHS should win big and in fact they did.  There was a 60 point "flip" ("swing" if you prefer) that I find difficult to dismiss as simply as 2 opposing "down nights." 

Nor am a I expecting any "flip" in this most highly anticipated rematch.  Anything is possible.  Should be a great one.

In retrospect, those 2 BA losses seem surprising.  But not so much when you consider that youthful talent, which BA has in abundance, often improves greatly during the course of the season.  Moreover, I think their coach is becoming more savvy and realizing he ain't in Texas anymore.

BTW if I offended Briarcrest, CBHS and/oir St Bene by giving them zero chance or preventing this rematch, sorry....

I'm a bit curious what you mean by "ain't in texas anymore".  As much as i am a fan of TN DII AA football AND consider it to the best division in TN, Texas is Texas and is on its own level of HS football.   Cody will tell you that to this day as he did with me again a few wks back when we had lunch.  Guys like matthew stafford played under him and at a few of the top teams in TX.  All of those major DI schools in TX? 90% of their players come from TX. I was just there last wkend for the TX - TCU game and saw the rosters - almost all TX boys. Same with TTech, A&M, etc.  Actually i'm glad he brought his style of offense he used in TX to BA this yr - felt he could not implement it his 1st yr.  With the talent he had at BA last yr i wish he would have done so. Curious stmt

Ensworth is too good,They will cruise to a State Championship!

you might be right but it also might be up for grabs this yr. Seeing EHS a few times every yr incl this one says to me they are not at the same level as last yr for instance - still very good but we'll see. MBA, BA, MUS have a shot. Maybe another in there also.

I think something that hasn't been mentioned: the past 4 years this game was DOMINATED by #15...every time he touched the ball or it was near him something happened. Without him Ensworth looks much different - credit BA, they did a great job containing Ferby (who may not have been 100%) - Elder was such a difference maker in past years' games, without him Ensworth is not as explosive. Also, in the past Ensworth's QB play has been very solid - young Bowers was a solid qb that didn't make mistakes - again credit BA for putting the Ensworth qb in position to turn it over. Matchup in 3 weeks should be even better - expect a much different Ensworth and different atmosphere at Ensworth's field. 

This was my impression also.  Overlooked in Ensworth's run of great RB's was the QB play.  Bowers had a knack for making teams pay who loaded up to try to stop Corn.  And, in a game like last year's BA game, when the passing game struggled, Corn was able to carry the load for a victory (along with the defense).

It's a testament to Ensworth that they are still this good despite losing both Bowers and Elder to graduation... BA looked like a balanced team on offense and defense.  Will be really hard for anyone to beat them (including Ensworth) if they look like that for the play-offs.

I think any of these teams (as well as MUS and, perhaps, Baylor) are good enough to beat each other on any given night. I think that somewhat explains the incredible flip in 2011 - Baylor caught Ensworth on a down night and Ensworth then caught Baylor on a down night. You are certainly entitled to your opinion (and from what I have read on these boards, your opinion is one that I have much respect for), but I don't really look at either game as a "fluke". In my opinion, that is what makes D2-AA the toughest football division in the state.

What compelled me to characterize these games as "flukes" were the SCORES - NOT that they both beat each other.  It's an accurate cliche in D2 that the elite teams all can BEAT each other on a given night.   These were BEAT DOWNS....

Hated to hear about The Big Mighty Ensworth getting beat. As ive said all along ,not even the best team in the State of TN.EAST TN IS TN Football

Glad you have recovered enough from the Vols beat down by Missouri to join the conversations again!  First, congratulations to BA on an impressive win.  Second, time will tell whether your high regard of East Tennessee football is justified.  Playoffs are a great time of the year.

Hated to hear about The Big Mighty Ensworth getting beat. As ive said all along ,not even the best team in the State of TN.EAST TN IS TN Football

Games between East Tennessee playoff teams and DII-AA teams

Brentwood Academy 45, Science Hill 0

McCallie 55, Cleveland 35

Baylor 21, Webb 7

This is not an ideal sample size, because most East Tennessee teams refuse to schedule teams from our league.