Cleveland @ White Co. Tssaa round 1

I have been to every Warrior home game this season and I support them 100% and will be there pulling for them Friday night.  With that said I am concerned with our ability to contain Cleveland's speed, I know the kind of athletes they usually have and by looking at their schedule and stats I worry about Sparta being able to match their over all team speed.  I played for Sparta in late 90's and we played Cleveland 2 years in a row and they had a ton of speed then and they always have had a lot of very good athletes.  Sparta is tough and very well coached for the first time I can remember in my lifetime but in football there is no substitute for speed and that is a department we lack in.  Our defenses biggest weakness is the ability to defend the edge and we have been lucky to this point most teams we have played do not have the speed to burn us on the corners. If we want to win this game as far as i can tell we have only one way to win, run the ball and control the clock and try to keep the raiders offense off the field as long as we can and if we can do that and get at least two turnovers and not turn it over our self we have a shot. We do have a great advantage in the kicking game, we have the best punter in the state and a very good place kicker so if it is a low scoring game that will help us.

I warn you Cleveland do not take this team lightly, they will hit you in the mouth and fight you to the death for 48 minutes.  Never underestimate the hunger factor, this team as well as the entire community is hungry and have never had a team this good.  I think the match up that will determine the out come of the game is not Sparta defense vs Cleveland's offense but Sparta's offense vs Cleveland's defense, we have to find a way to move the ball and control the clock.  Sparta will have to have some success in the passing game to open up our running game or the raiders will just stack the box, we did not complete a pass against Cookeville and had less than 100 yards total offense, that will get us blown out against Cleveland. 

As far as players to watch, #7 Blake Lynn RB/LB is probably our best all around player he has over 1000 yards rushing, also #8 River Boruff RB is good.  #21 Perry Clayton CB is a play maker in the secondary as well and our punter who averages around 45 yards a punt I believe.  I hope for a good game and a safe game for both sides, good luck to both teams.

Im curious to know the combined record of the teams white county has beat. Who have they played besides rhea?

Since you asked, here's the rundown:

Beat York Institute (4-6)

Beat Livingston Academy (3-7)

Lost to Rhea County (9-1)

Beat Dekalb Co  (6-4)

Beat Warren County (1-9)

Beat Chattanooga Christian (3-7)

Beat Cumberland Co (2-8)

Lost to Sequoia (8-2)

Beat Stone Memorial (6-4)

Beat Cookeville (6-4)

combined opponent record:  48-54

Played 5 teams with winning record

Played 4 teams with 3 or less wins

Total points scored 258

Total points allowed 112

Record against teams with winning record:  3-2

In the two losses, outscored 55-16

In the three wins, they scored 81-28.

Highest scoring game:  vs Dekalb 46 (w)

Lowest scoring game:  vs Rhea 6 (l)

Edited by CheckerboardEndzone

Since you asked, here's the rundown:

Beat York Institute (4-6)

Beat Livingston Academy (3-7)

Lost to Rhea County (9-1)

Beat Dekalb Co (6-4)

Beat Warren County (1-9)

Beat Chattanooga Christian (3-7)

Beat Cumberland Co (2-8)

Lost to Sequoia (8-2)

Beat Stone Memorial (6-4)

Beat Cookeville (6-4)

Played 5 teams with winning record

Played 4 teams with 3 or less wins

Total points scored 258

Total points allowed 112

Record against teams with winning record: 3-2

In the two losses, outscored 55-16

In the three wins, they scored 81-28.

Highest scoring game: vs Dekalb 46 (w)

Lowest scoring game: vs Rhea 6 (l)

interesting. Coach crawford knows how to push the right buttons with this team. They will work hard all week and know whats at stake. Going into white cty team that has sparta rocking, with this being there best team. We respect our opponent but I think the raiders win this one easily

interesting. Coach crawford knows how to push the right buttons with this team. They will work hard all week and know whats at stake. Going into white cty team that has sparta rocking, with this being there best team. We respect our opponent but I think the raiders win this one easily

As Johnny Majors once said "You dont mind if we tee it up anyway do you?"

I have been to every Warrior home game this season and I support them 100% and will be there pulling for them Friday night.  With that said I am concerned with our ability to contain Cleveland's speed, I know the kind of athletes they usually have and by looking at their schedule and stats I worry about Sparta being able to match their over all team speed.  I played for Sparta in late 90's and we played Cleveland 2 years in a row and they had a ton of speed then and they always have had a lot of very good athletes.  Sparta is tough and very well coached for the first time I can remember in my lifetime but in football there is no substitute for speed and that is a department we lack in.  Our defenses biggest weakness is the ability to defend the edge and we have been lucky to this point most teams we have played do not have the speed to burn us on the corners. If we want to win this game as far as i can tell we have only one way to win, run the ball and control the clock and try to keep the raiders offense off the field as long as we can and if we can do that and get at least two turnovers and not turn it over our self we have a shot. We do have a great advantage in the kicking game, we have the best punter in the state and a very good place kicker so if it is a low scoring game that will help us.

I warn you Cleveland do not take this team lightly, they will hit you in the mouth and fight you to the death for 48 minutes.  Never underestimate the hunger factor, this team as well as the entire community is hungry and have never had a team this good.  I think the match up that will determine the out come of the game is not Sparta defense vs Cleveland's offense but Sparta's offense vs Cleveland's defense, we have to find a way to move the ball and control the clock.  Sparta will have to have some success in the passing game to open up our running game or the raiders will just stack the box, we did not complete a pass against Cookeville and had less than 100 yards total offense, that will get us blown out against Cleveland. 

As far as players to watch, #7 Blake Lynn RB/LB is probably our best all around player he has over 1000 yards rushing, also #8 River Boruff RB is good.  #21 Perry Clayton CB is a play maker in the secondary as well and our punter who averages around 45 yards a punt I believe.  I hope for a good game and a safe game for both sides, good luck to both teams.

Thanks for the insight and congrats on a great season.  We're aware what it's like to have life breathed into your program after a down period.  Great for the school, the team, and the community.  Enjoy!

I don't believe anyone on the Cleveland end can afford to take anyone lightly or assume anything.  Like you, we're hoping for a good contest and for our season to continue as far as possible.

What you will see with Cleveland is a well-conditioned, well-disciplined team that plays with heart and intensity, and shows great poise whether ahead or behind.  They are well-coached and very athletic.  Where they might not be the biggest team you've seen, they may be the quickest across the board...on both sides of the ball.

With regard to playmakers, the main headline-grabbers are the QB (7) and wideout (2), but we have 4 wideouts who are scoring threats any time they touch the ball (10) (17) (21).  Our running game came to life near mid-season and we now have two RB's (28) (8) who run with different styles but equal effectiveness.

Defense has had consistent play and different players who have risen to make a difference weekly. Our inside backers (6) (33) have combined for the majority of team tackles and tackles for loss. (6) has had two interceptions as well.

Safety (16) is a senior who has had some tough (health) luck in previous seasons, but has had himself an outstanding year with 3 interceptions and a punt return TD against Cookeville that might have gone nearly 200 yards and took 60 seconds to happen...  :mrgreen:

OLB (11) is an aggressive player who is credited with some crucial stops, tackles for loss, and pass breakups this season.  DB (9) has improved literally weekly, and has had some critical tackles and a couple interceptions to his credit.

Our placekicker is consistent, although he lacks long-range for FG's.  Our punter has had a fantastic year, averaging well over 40 YPK.

Both the OL and DL have consistently gotten good push against every team we've played, regardless of size or reputation.

So there's your scouting report...  Not meant to sound like an advertisement, but you can ask other teams we've played...it's a team effort, and you never know for sure which others will shine.  They will come ready to play and eager to prove themselves.

Should be a fun night in Sparta!

On a different topic for you Cleveland guys, who do you consider the best player Cleveland has had in the past 20 years?  I played against Demetrius Fields and Tony Styles but i remember in 95 I went to watch Cleveland play in the playoffs in Smyrna and the raiders had a tailback named Stefon Woods and he was one of the best high school players i ever saw play. 

On a different topic for you Cleveland guys, who do you consider the best player Cleveland has had in the past 20 years?  I played against Demetrius Fields and Tony Styles but i remember in 95 I went to watch Cleveland play in the playoffs in Smyrna and the raiders had a tailback named Stefon Woods and he was one of the best high school players i ever saw play. 

Demetrius Fields

Stepfon Woods

Dante Hickey

On a different topic for you Cleveland guys, who do you consider the best player Cleveland has had in the past 20 years? I played against Demetrius Fields and Tony Styles but i remember in 95 I went to watch Cleveland play in the playoffs in Smyrna and the raiders had a tailback named Stefon Woods and he was one of the best high school players i ever saw play.

I played with a ton of great players in my day at cleveland. I still sport my 3 rings and have alot of great memories. But in my opinion Dante Hickey arguably the best player in tssaa history. Cobb twins, stepfon, fields the list goes on. But dante would be my pick. Im sure others would agree