Cleveland @ White Co. Tssaa round 1

I played with a ton of great players in my day at cleveland. I still sport my 3 rings and have alot of great memories. But in my opinion Dante Hickey arguably the best player in tssaa history. Cobb twins, stepfon, fields the list goes on. But dante would be my pick. Im sure others would agree

Ive never heard of hickey, i looked him up, said he squandered his talent at the college level and walked away from the game.  Woods was amazing to watch, i played against Fields and I know he was great but I kind thought he went down easily, I speak from exp, I tackled him several times and he was not hard to bring down, hard to get a hold of but not to bring down.  Tony Styles was a good player but seemed like a punk, I remember watching film on him the week we played them and they were playing Soddy Daisy and getting beat up bad and he took himself out of the game and threw his helmet.

Thanks for the insight and congrats on a great season.  We're aware what it's like to have life breathed into your program after a down period.  Great for the school, the team, and the community.  Enjoy!

I don't believe anyone on the Cleveland end can afford to take anyone lightly or assume anything.  Like you, we're hoping for a good contest and for our season to continue as far as possible.

What you will see with Cleveland is a well-conditioned, well-disciplined team that plays with heart and intensity, and shows great poise whether ahead or behind.  They are well-coached and very athletic.  Where they might not be the biggest team you've seen, they may be the quickest across the board...on both sides of the ball.

With regard to playmakers, the main headline-grabbers are the QB (7) and wideout (2), but we have 4 wideouts who are scoring threats any time they touch the ball (10) (17) (21).  Our running game came to life near mid-season and we now have two RB's (28) (8) who run with different styles but equal effectiveness.

Defense has had consistent play and different players who have risen to make a difference weekly. Our inside backers (6) (33) have combined for the majority of team tackles and tackles for loss. (6) has had two interceptions as well.

Safety (16) is a senior who has had some tough (health) luck in previous seasons, but has had himself an outstanding year with 3 interceptions and a punt return TD against Cookeville that might have gone nearly 200 yards and took 60 seconds to happen...  :mrgreen:

OLB (11) is an aggressive player who is credited with some crucial stops, tackles for loss, and pass breakups this season.  DB (9) has improved literally weekly, and has had some critical tackles and a couple interceptions to his credit.

Our placekicker is consistent, although he lacks long-range for FG's.  Our punter has had a fantastic year, averaging well over 40 YPK.

Both the OL and DL have consistently gotten good push against every team we've played, regardless of size or reputation.

So there's your scouting report...  Not meant to sound like an advertisement, but you can ask other teams we've played...it's a team effort, and you never know for sure which others will shine.  They will come ready to play and eager to prove themselves.

Should be a fun night in Sparta!

Thanks for the report, sounds pretty much what i expect to see Friday night, I just hope we do not get blown out, we have not faced a fast team all year nor have we faced a good passing team.

Ive never heard of hickey, i looked him up, said he squandered his talent at the college level and walked away from the game. Woods was amazing to watch, i played against Fields and I know he was great but I kind thought he went down easily, I speak from exp, I tackled him several times and he was not hard to bring down, hard to get a hold of but not to bring down. Tony Styles was a good player but seemed like a punk, I remember watching film on him the week we played them and they were playing Soddy Daisy and getting beat up bad and he took himself out of the game and threw his helmet.

Cleveland beat up on white cty alot when they were in this region

Thanks for the report, sounds pretty much what i expect to see Friday night, I just hope we do not get blown out, we have not faced a fast team all year nor have we faced a good passing team.

Well...I guess it's time to experience something new, because passing and running and quick-strike stuff is what we do.

Looking forward to the trip!  (kinda...since it's hard to get there from here without a helicopter)

Ive never heard of hickey, i looked him up, said he squandered his talent at the college level and walked away from the game.  Woods was amazing to watch, i played against Fields and I know he was great but I kind thought he went down easily, I speak from exp, I tackled him several times and he was not hard to bring down, hard to get a hold of but not to bring down.  Tony Styles was a good player but seemed like a punk, I remember watching film on him the week we played them and they were playing Soddy Daisy and getting beat up bad and he took himself out of the game and threw his helmet.

Benny Monroe was coaching the Blue Raiders back then, and to be truthful, very few of his players did well in the classroom or performed that well in college.  Now, before you Cleveland fans go ballistic, Benny is a good friend of mine and we've talked about this.  One of his former players, Stefen Scotton, was a class act and did well in the classroom in high school and college, and performed well on the field in college at Georgia Tech (I think they won the National Championship while he was there).  Most of Benny's players were busts in college - mainly because of their character and immaturity.

Now, as far as the game.....Cleveland has the best offense I've seen this year - primarily their passing attack.  If White County doubles up on Cleveland's best receiver, they'll get burned by a couple of other receivers who are very capable of taking it to the house.  I haven't seen White County play, but they'll need some good and fast athletes in the secondary if they want to keep it close or win.

Edited by blitzinbuc