Cleveland @ White Co. Tssaa round 1

I have seen Cleveland play when they rolled up to West. Very good football team and the QB has a cannon! Pretty accurate for the most part... Running game that night wasn't great but I am sure they have improved.. I'm pulling for them only because I have seen them

Cleveland's rb had like 145 yards that game I believe.

Ok,first off i want to say how proud I am of this Warrior team. Excellent job Friday night and all year for that matter. Second thing is , it's really nice to see the defense at the top of the heap. They have really stepped it up this season. Now to address a couple of things that I have read on this thread so far. What the Cleveland people don't understand is< White Co. has already won! This team has capped off what last years team started. The tone has been changed here. Being an ok football team is not good enough now. I don't feel that this team is anymore tallented than the ones before, but the mindset is totally different. To these kids who they play is not the issue, it"s how they play that matters. Cleveland should by all rights come into Sparta and have a cake walk next Friday night. I bet that don't happen, and I will go one further and say that win or lose Cleveland will go back home licking alot of wounds. White Co. is just that phyical. If you don't belive me, call some of the teams that they have played. And for what it's worth, neither of these teams will make it very far in the playoffs. For White Co., thats ok. If they can win this Friday night( and I think that they could) it will be like winning a state championship. If Cleveland wins, congradulations. You're a one and done ! Go Warriors!!!!

Benny Monroe was coaching the Blue Raiders back then, and to be truthful, very few of his players did well in the classroom or performed that well in college.  Now, before you Cleveland fans go ballistic, Benny is a good friend of mine and we've talked about this.  One of his former players, Stefen Scotton, was a class act and did well in the classroom in high school and college, and performed well on the field in college at Georgia Tech (I think they won the National Championship while he was there).  Most of Benny's players were busts in college - mainly because of their character and immaturity.

Now, as far as the game.....Cleveland has the best offense I've seen this year - primarily their passing attack.  If White County doubles up on Cleveland's best receiver, they'll get burned by a couple of other receivers who are very capable of taking it to the house.  I haven't seen White County play, but they'll need some good and fast athletes in the secondary if they want to keep it close or win.

Scotton was a favorite player of Mine on the 1990 Georgia Tech National Championship team!

I just read this thread. Both of these teams are class football teams. Cleveland has a great team and a balanced offense the likes of which White County has not faced.

White County does have the #1 scoring defense in 5A football. That's just a statement of fact. The top 3- White County 112, Memphis East 125 and Rhea County 127.

White County has not played the caliber of competition as Cleveland that's another fact.

Someone said on here that White County has already won. In a way that's true. So many firsts this season. Cleveland wants to win a playoff game for the first time in 10 years someone says. Well White County wants to win a playoff game for the first time EVER! White County is hosting the first playoff game EVER in school history. White County just beat their arch rival Cookeville 13-0 for the first win over them since 1995!

I respect what both of these teams have accomplished and of course only one will advance beyond Friday night. There is no need for trash talk and disrespect on either side. These are young men that are doing the best they can and deserve the respect of those who sit here hiding behind fake names in front of a computer. Both of these teams have worked hard year 'round to get to this point. One will win and one will not. It doesn't mean the team that loses has lost its dignity. Let's remember who plays this game, these are YOUNG men not professional football players. Both teams are well coached and while Cleveland has a great football tradition all of this is somewhat new for White County. Friday night 's atmosphere was unreal in Sparta, another first in a long time event. Here are some more firsts: 1st 8-win season in 33 years (1980); First playoff home game (EVER); First win over Cookeville after 17 loses (1995); First 8-win regular season in 41 years (1972); First undefeated (5-0) regular season home record in 43 years (1970), first time a new coach has won 12 games (12-9) in his first two years since Don Farley in 1980-81.

Cleveland's QB and Receivers look fantastic. The Blue Raiders also look very good on both sides of the ball upfront. On the other hand, White County has held teams to 2.8 yards rushing average on the season and have 15 interceptions including 7 by Skylar Delaney and 3 by Perry Clayton. Hunter Cantrell may well be the state's top punter averaging nearly 45 yards per kick. Little brother Luke Cantrell is 5 of 5 on field goal attempts.

White County Coach Matthan Houser was at Cookeville from 2008-11 and the Jerry Joslin led staff met Cleveland 3 times with Cookeville winning all 3. I know that was before Coach Crawford and the current staff which I know is doing a great job there but again just a statement of fact to add some interesting twists to this game. Nothing in this post is meant to disparage anyone, let's just let the young men play and enjoy the night and support our teams win or lose.

I know Sparta as a community is proud of the Warriors and will be regardless of what happens from here forward.