Oak Ridge 2014

OR nole

#1 no one for AC is fast

#2 West guys all run track and Fulton guys too (see state track results)

#3 Gulmire ran track plus slow kids like McAddley

#4 Robertsville kids would get hammered in a race by the top 8 orhs sprinters (several football players)

#5 if the present kids on the OR football team want to get faster learning from Roberts (who knows his $hi%) plus lifting to get dynamic speed on the track team would make the difference you seek

If no one on AC is fast then we must be "snail slow" because we had NOBODY who could run with Fox on that long run. McAddley was a track guy for sure. I think the starting backfield for Robertsville was faster than the starting backfield at ORHS. That's specifically what I'm saying. I wasn't talking so much about the remedy in my earlier post but if running track is all it takes, then I'm all for it. I will repeat, however, that we have NO BREAKAWAY threat at the running back position. I sure don't remember Spencer running track but if you say so then I'll believe you. But I never heard about him winning anything. Still, my main point is that unlike most of our opponents who are good, we do NOT have a running back who is a breakaway threat.

Edited by catswild

Fox is fast for sure. Bruce is even faster. OR doesn't have a running back as fast as either.

Place the kids from West (QB or Running back) on the goal line against those two.  West kids would be in the end zone dancing when the others got to the 10.  I do agree with you all that OR doesn't have a break away back, yet. 

Place the kids from West (QB or Running back) on the goal line against those two.  West kids would be in the end zone dancing when the others got to the 10.  I do agree with you all that OR doesn't have a break away back, yet. 

I'm not sure that I agree with that but I do think that the Cottrell kid from West is faster than Fox and Bruce. The West QB may be too.

Slow, Slow, Slow and kind of slow but looked fast against a slow team

Quick yes, great feet yes, straight line speed no

Speed is relative to your competition.  If you're talking about elite track speed, you're correct that Fox isn't fast, which is to say he is currently not capable of beating most competition on that level.

However, Fox is a fast running back for high school football relative to the vast majority of Tennessee high school players by any realistic, sane, non-sarcastic, intelligent measure.

4.5 is fast in high school football, I dont care who you are or who you are playing, 4.4 is elite speed an they are few and far between, Ford ran down Bruce when Bruce had a 20 yard head start on a 65 yard run, AC has some fast kids, May not be elite, but fast. The elite speed RB's in TN you can count on one hand, if there were more than that they would not call it "elite".

4.5 is fast in high school football, I dont care who you are or who you are playing, 4.4 is elite speed an they are few and far between, Ford ran down Bruce when Bruce had a 20 yard head start on a 65 yard run, AC has some fast kids, May not be elite, but fast. The elite speed RB's in TN you can count on one hand, if there were more than that they would not call it "elite".

Fox did burn us on that one run for 98 yards, but if you watch that replay almost our whole team (actually the whole defense) was up on the line of scrimmage on that play (God knows why) and all Fox had to do was get past the line and their was nobody there for containment. Carl Lewis in his prime wouldn't have caught Fox on that run. Now, when our guy (Bonds) had a chance to run him down on that one long run Bonds did run him down. Fox may have ran out of steam yeah, but he still got ran down. What i have been trying to say throughout this whole thread lol is that to have a great team or be a great player a team doesn't have to have a RB with breakaway elite speed and the kid doesn't have to have that type of speed to be an all state type of player. I can count on 1 hand the top level speed RB's we have had while i have been alive at Oak Ridge. Bohannon was one, and Matt Moore is another. The others fall into the (fast) category where actually i would place Isiah Jones from this past year. Not top level speed, but sure isn't slow. We have won a ton of games over the years without a RB with top level speed. We may not end up being a very good team or great team, but what i am saying is that it will not be because we don't have a RB that can't break a long one like catswild says, that's all. If the line blocks then Isiah Jones is plenty fast enough to win us a championship in the future and a lot of games.

Edited by SweetScience