Oak Ridge 2014

OR nole

What is your best plan to fix said issue? Seems like if we got what we got we don't got a chance of getting what we don't got.

There is no plan, at least I don't have one. I'm just stating the obvious...we have not one running back that has breakaway speed. Everybody talks about how great we will be and I just don't see it. Good, yes...great, no. And I hope I'm wrong.

Right. Why worry about things you cannot change? It is what it is.

Are you telling me that deficiencies with your favorite teams are things that you DON'T worry about? Then we are totally different and I make no apologies. I worry about my favorite high school team (the areas where they are weak), I worry about my favorite college team (the areas where they are weak), and I worry about my favorite pro team (the areas where they are weak). I sure as heck don't look at them and say..."well, they are weak at LB but we got what we got so I won't give it another thought". If that's the way you think then we are totally different types of fans.

Are you telling me that deficiencies with your favorite teams are things that you DON'T worry about? Then we are totally different and I make no apologies. I worry about my favorite high school team (the areas where they are weak), I worry about my favorite college team (the areas where they are weak), and I worry about my favorite pro team (the areas where they are weak). I sure as heck don't look at them and say..."well, they are weak at LB but we got what we got so I won't give it another thought". If that's the way you think then we are totally different types of fans.

Relax. Their are things you can fix on a football team. If you don't have breakaway speed then you just don't. You can work on speed and become faster, but if that natural speed isn't there it isn't there. Most other things are fixable. I worry about things that truly matter in life and as much as I love football and sports in the overall perspective of things they are pretty small.

Maybe without breakaway speed the coaches need to rely on great defense and switch to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust style offense.

Relax. Their are things you can fix on a football team. If you don't have breakaway speed then you just don't. You can work on speed and become faster, but if that natural speed isn't there it isn't there. Most other things are fixable. I worry about things that truly matter in life and as much as I love football and sports in the overall perspective of things they are pretty small.

I worry about cancer, heart disease, etc., and I worry about world peace, terrorism, and other things too. A case can be made that they are MUCH more important than football, or any sport. I would agree with that BUT this is a football forum. I'm not going to express my concerns about terrorism, cancer, world peace, etc, on here....I'm going to express my concerns about my favorite high school football team.

I worry about cancer, heart disease, etc., and I worry about world peace, terrorism, and other things too. A case can be made that they are MUCH more important than football, or any sport. I would agree with that BUT this is a football forum. I'm not going to express my concerns about terrorism, cancer, world peace, etc, on here....I'm going to express my concerns about my favorite high school football team.

Well you do that. Again. What is your solution?

Maybe without breakaway speed the coaches need to rely on great defense and switch to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust style offense.

Don't get me wrong about our overall speed. It's better than adequate but all of you out there talking about a state title you better think again. we aren't as fast as the great teams we will have to beat to get there and speed IMO is the most critical element on a football team. Three yards and a cloud of dust may be the answer but those teams don't win many titles these days.

Wow, this is a crazy discussion.  Speed wins.  Ask the SEC.  Track makes kids fast. Ask the SEC.  OR has the one of the best "get faster" coaches in the state.  Check out what Roberts did at West.  Yeah, they are fast aren't they.  Those LB's, DB's, RB's should all do track every year.  Track lifts 3 to 4 days a week.  Their squat max's, clean max and Bench max all go up too.  The kids would get stronger and faster. Stronger and faster is a winner.  "It is what it is" doesn't cut it. If you want to win, really win.

Edited by Soxfan1

Wow, this is a crazy discussion.  Speed wins.  Ask the SEC.  Track makes kids fast. Ask the SEC.  OR has the one of the best "get faster" coaches in the state.  Check out what Roberts did at West.  Yeah, they are fast aren't they.  Those LB's, DB's, RB's should all do track every year.  Track lifts 3 to 4 days a week.  Their squat max's, clean max and Bench max all go up too.  The kids would get stronger and faster. Stronger and faster is a winner.  "It is what it is" doesn't cut it. If you want to win, really win.

We agree and we disagree. We agree on the speed part and it's importance but how many SEC football players run on the track team? Willie Gault once did. There are maybe a handful in the entire SEC.

Guys. Answer me this question? How many RB's did Maryville have last year that had "breakaway" speed. Or the year before or the year before etc etc? How many players on their teams have "eye opening" speed, period??? None. They have been doing pretty good lately. A team can be great without breakaway speed in HS.