Oak Ridge 2014

OR nole

Don't get me wrong about our overall speed. It's better than adequate but all of you out there talking about a state title you better think again. we aren't as fast as the great teams we will have to beat to get there and speed IMO is the most critical element on a football team. Three yards and a cloud of dust may be the answer but those teams don't win many titles these days.

5 wide and throw 40+ times per game??

Ok, let's just agree do disagree about amazing array of Track athletes who came through just UT and did both.  You would have to know something about both sports for this to be a level playing field.  

At OR the lifting program for football is good. Traditional get bigger stuff is fine. It is not speed focused.  (again, you would have to know something about this to comment with any legitimacy)

A speed focused program would have include "get faster" mechanics, technique and of course competition.  The only way to really do that in High School is track.

Guys. Answer me this question? How many RB's did Maryville have last year that had "breakaway" speed. Or the year before or the year before etc etc? How many players on their teams have "eye opening" speed, period??? None. They have been doing pretty good lately. A team can be great without breakaway speed in HS.

I agree with you. Problem is that it takes a certain style of football to win that way. You won't be seeing that style with the current head coach.

Ok, let's just agree do disagree about amazing array of Track athletes who came through just UT and did both.  You would have to know something about both sports for this to be a level playing field.  

At OR the lifting program for football is good. Traditional get bigger stuff is fine. It is not speed focused.  (again, you would have to know something about this to comment with any legitimacy)

A speed focused program would have include "get faster" mechanics, technique and of course competition.  The only way to really do that in High School is track.

So you are saying football players can't get faster without running track? I bet there are a number of high school strength coaches who disagree with you.

Guys. Answer me this question? How many RB's did Maryville have last year that had "breakaway" speed. Or the year before or the year before etc etc? How many players on their teams have "eye opening" speed, period??? None. They have been doing pretty good lately. A team can be great without breakaway speed in HS.

I'll answer that question easily. I don't know his name, and it only takes one, but the running back who started the last 3-4 years was their guy. He did it week after week for an entire career. I watched him on the highlights most every Friday night.

Edited by catswild

So you are saying football players can't get faster without running track? I bet there are a number of high school strength coaches who disagree with you.

Not saying that.  I will say that a majority of schools don't have a "strength coach." They have the low man on the coaching ladder looking something up on the internet.  You can't get faster unless you learn how to run fast first, then add the muscle and then real running/competition.

Not saying that.  I will say that a majority of schools don't have a "strength coach." They have the low man on the coaching ladder looking something up on the internet.  You can't get faster unless you learn how to run fast first, then add the muscle and then real running/competition.

I can agree with that. Football strength and conditioning has changed dramatically within the last 15 years.