What is up at Waverly?

PR25

Heard a rumor that Wavo is looking for a new coach. Hope it is not true. Coach Graves is as good of a guy as you could meet and has done tons for the school. Anyone know what is going on?

They haven't won many games since he's been there and they where really bad this yr, so that might be why! I don't know what ever happened to Waverly.They use to be real good in the 90's!

The jobs dried up, people moved, took a lot of talent with them. Used to be one of the bigger schools in district and I think they are one of the smaller ones now. Sometimes its not coaching, its talent walking the halls. Teams like Aloca, even if they had a avg coach, could beat a better than avg coach at Waverly based on talent alone. That's what happen at Hickman Co, was a good 4a team in early 2000's, but when bumped up to 5a, talent wasn't there to play with teams like Hillsboro.

The jobs dried up, people moved, took a lot of talent with them. Used to be one of the bigger schools in district and I think they are one of the smaller ones now. Sometimes its not coaching, its talent walking the halls. Teams like Aloca, even if they had a avg coach, could beat a better than avg coach at Waverly based on talent alone. That's what happen at Hickman Co, was a good 4a team in early 2000's, but when bumped up to 5a, talent wasn't there to play with teams like Hillsboro.

i dont ever recall hickman being a 5A school or hillsboro. I remember hillsboro being in.the.4A state.championship in early 2000s.

Careful now lets not bring actual logic into the Coaching situation in Waverly.  The Junior Pro Parents will not have it! Lol  Actually you have hit the nail right on the head.  Waverly's average record for the last 20+ years has been consistently 3-7  per year.  An occasion winning record thrown in. 

Coach Graves is 1st class.  He does well with what he has.  Here is a question for you...........what impact will the closing of the New Johnsonville plant in 2017 have on Waverly, McEwen, Camden and Bruceton?  Lot's of jobs will be lost.  Houston County, Stewart County and Montgomery Central may benefit from it's closing because I would assume they would transfer a lot of folk to the Cumberland City plant.  Just a thought.

i dont ever recall hickman being a 5A school or hillsboro. I remember hillsboro being in.the.4A state.championship in early 2000s.

Might have been when there was 5 classes and they were in 4a, point is HC was competitive playing Giles, Marshall, Loretto ect but when playing Hillsboro, Maplewood ect....talent wise they couldn't compete. I think that might have happen to Waverly in reverse

I'll say the Waverly middle school success hasn't translated to the next level since I've been watching them play the last 10 years.  They were really talented at the middle school level again this year as well and it was mentioned in the stands about what happens to these kids in high school.  Do they peak early, not play football or is it the system?

Graves was the middle school coach for several years with much success before moving on to the high school. No idea why they do not continue to improve. Do the surrounding areas have youth football? Sometimes in the smaller areas they do not play organized ball until middle school and it takes a few years to come around.

I would assume so.  I think what happens at many A and AA schools is that the athletes either aren't encouraged to play more than one or two sports and there's some attrition that takes place as players choose basketball over football or decide to concentrate on baseball.  It usually comes to a head during the summer.