What is up at Waverly?

PR25

Seriously, you people don't know what you are talking about.  I have personally heard the middle school coach encourage his players to play at the high school, year after year.  One player is currently playing at Ensworth instead of Waverly.  ONE!  What parent wouldn't take advantage of that opportunity?  One player would not make that big of a difference at this stage.

The coaches in all sports sacrifice so much in their personal lives and with their families so that other kids in other families have the opportunity to play a sport.  Yet, you people talk out of turn about things you know nothing about or speculate and make up the rest.  Why can't you all support these men and women who give so much and get so little in return instead of resorting to these smear campaigns.  Shame on you!

I have seen Waverly in the past when they were real good.  It could happen again.  You must get the players out and keep them out.  Their middle school teams are always good, but a lot of those kids do not play for whatever reason when they get to high school.  Many factors are involved I would assume. 

IrishTiger,

Way to make a splash with your first post.  I don't think anyone is smearing anyone on here.  Maybe something said in jest or out of frustration over the whole situation.  Probably due to the public vs private mess that runs thru our state.  You will find varying opinions on that subject.  Some valid and some ludicris.  But, small schools like Waverly & others must find a way to keep their kids "in house".  Easier said than done sometimes.  If you are associated with Waverly Middle School in some form or fashion, you guys do a good job at being successful over there..............now help Waverly High School do the same thing.

The Middle School coach is fine.  His son is a 6'4-6'6 300+ pound tackle at Ensworth.  Ensworth offered a football spot and he accepted.  The only other kid to go there from Waverly went for Academics! he came back last year and was one of their starting cornerbacks and wide receivers. The problem at Waverly has absolutely nothing to do with the middle school coach, and I would argue it had nothing to do with Coach Graves. When your starting safeties and corners run 4.9 to 5.1 40 times (maybe slower), you're in trouble.  When you're best quarterback option on the team is a freshman who has played the spot for one year, and has little to no mobility, you're in trouble.  The linebackers were all 140-180 pounds except for one or two kids, and they are not fast either.  When some of your best athletes in the school decide to play basketball only or basketball and baseball only, you're in trouble. Coach Graves was about as much of a players coach as there is so I know that is not why kids didn't play. He is a great guy, and does not deserve the crap he received the past year at Waverly.  There are several factors going on, but overall lack of talent is the biggest issue, BY FAR.

As for the timetable fballtime, I'd say it will be a few weeks,but that is just my guess.

Edited by 31ballfan

I have seen Waverly in the past when they were real good.  It could happen again.  You must get the players out and keep them out.  Their middle school teams are always good, but a lot of those kids do not play for whatever reason when they get to high school.  Many factors are involved I would assume. 

IrishTiger,

Way to make a splash with your first post.  I don't think anyone is smearing anyone on here.  Maybe something said in jest or out of frustration over the whole situation.  Probably due to the public vs private mess that runs thru our state.  You will find varying opinions on that subject.  Some valid and some ludicris.  But, small schools like Waverly & others must find a way to keep their kids "in house".  Easier said than done sometimes.  If you are associated with Waverly Middle School in some form or fashion, you guys do a good job at being successful over there..............now help Waverly High School do the same thing.

Good post!! I never intended my comments to smear anyone. I do know that in a small town in order to be good you need all your athletes to play and you need to share them. I would disagree with the statement that one player would not make a difference because if he is good enough to play at EW then he would make a difference. Good luck to Waverly and maybe there is another Ray Hampton out there somewhere.

I played football and baseball for Waverly from 87'-90' and I am a high school coach that has had a lot of success. I am interested in the job if it is coming available cause there is nothing like Tiger Pride!!! What's the story?[/quote

Hermit I also went to waverly then I did not know I played with someone who played for Tennessee. I pitched for waverly back then.

Edited by LBKILLER

No disrespect for Waverly but Enrollment isn't the problem! If they was in 2a, they still would not be able to compete. This yrs team was one of the worst teams I've ever seen in 3a. I really hope they get football rolling like they did in the 90's!!!

Yeah Camden only has 30 more kids than Waverly . Stewart county is one of the biggest 3aa schools in the state with 678 enrolled compared to 560 for Camden...hasn't helped them out in  any sports. The man at Waverly may be a fantastic human being and a better roll model but he was a bad football coach and had  years to prove other wise.

Good coaching means a lot more than people think it does. A really good one will show progress in his first season at  and promise in his second..by his 4th he will have them all wondering why they were losing so often in the past. We saw it here with coach Ward and Stewart Co. is seeing it with their new coach as well.  

Hire a good one Waverly give him community support and a quarterback club to help him raise funds and the whole town can meet on Friday nights..maybe you can build some decent visitor stands before someone falls down and sues ya'll in that mess you have now  :P  

I hope for the kids sake that Waverly can make the right hire. Its not easy turning around a program but I do feel good about the program at Stewart and feel that with Finley things will improve. I have a son playing for him and know that the kids have bought into him taking them forward. Good luck Waverly and there is another Hampton out there. I just hope our Hampton is named Cody Finley!

I hope for the kids sake that Waverly can make the right hire. Its not easy turning around a program but I do feel good about the program at Stewart and feel that with Finley things will improve. I have a son playing for him and know that the kids have bought into him taking them forward. Good luck Waverly and there is another Hampton out there. I just hope our Hampton is named Cody Finley!

+1 good post and I do think you have a good coach

Heard maybe they're trying to lure big name to Waverly for more money and a young group of athletes. A friend told me they only had 3 senior starters and two juniors starting. The rest are made up of sophomore and freshmen. Should be some good years coming up.

Edited by dooby