Coaching Changes

orcat

Obviously the Karns job is now open, and it sounds like a two or three more schools may have openings.

What schools will need a coach for next season? What schools should make a coaching move? And what coaches will be filling these jobs?

BigBlue, TT etc, do you have a wish list?

Finally, should a high school coach be allowed to operate a club?

So Orcat, who do you think will be the other high schools that will be changing coaches?  I have not heard of any around Knoxville.  Coach Williams took me by surprise for sure.  Which schools do you think should make changes?  Are there any coaches in the area not coaching that would be quality varsity high school coaches? 

I would like to see the coach from Anderson County or her male assistant get a shot at it. Jason Haynes or Tom Paszko from K2 would defiantly turn the team around. Obviously we need someone that can take the team to the next level, someone that cares more about the team than themselves. The CAK Coach would also be a good fit the the team.

Edited by volleyballdad69

I think that it is going to be tough for the Bearden coach to hang on because he has lost support from at least a part of the team. I think the CAK coach seems unhappy. Appears to be a great guy, but I don't know if his heart is in it.

BB a better question for you, if you could pick any five coaches currently coaching or who have coached in the last five years, who would you pick and why. Karns needs a strong coach to move them forward.

Don't believe everything you read.

Bearden's coach hasn't lost support from his team( or AD) There is only one parent who had a problem this season and they have made their voice heard on another blog. Of 22 girls on the team, 4 were seniors, 7 don't play club ball, and of remaining 11, 9 are at KVA. Obviously they trust in him and his abilities to play with him for another 6 months.

The other 2 are at k2, one with D1 promises and the other like I said, has made their feelings known. After k2 "talks" with them they probably won't be back to play high school ball anyway, like many others have been convinced to skip the high school season.

Cak coach would be great for Karns but the CAK girls love him. I don't think he is going anywhere.

VBD69, you are way off.  Most of the people that left K2, left because of the two you mentioned.  There are not many parents that would tolerate their daughters being treated the way they do.  Its funny that you mention they need someone who cares about the team instead of themselves.  That is EXACTLY the opposite of those two. 

AC coaches will not leave.  Expecially Coach Cantrell.  He has been there forever and always will be.

ORCAT nevers knows what he/she is talking about.

My thoughts exactly clubonly. I had a good laugh when I read that same line about caring about the team more then themselves. LOL. Those two only care about themselves and their egos. They wouldn't "stoop" that low to coach a high school team anyway. They make no attempt to attend any high school games during the season to watch all their own club girls play, heck they don't even watch and support other aged teams in their own club at tournaments. They are only about how many D1 girls they can claim they've created.

Are there any good middle school coaches that could step into the high school arena?

OrCat, wish I had a good answer for your question.  I think one of the hardest coaching positions to fill is a qualfied varsity volleyball coach.  It is hard to find someone that is a true teacher of the game as well as a person that will teach the girls to do things "the right way".  There is so much more to coaching than just the game itself.  Volleyball as with other sports should be a vehicle through which our kids learn how to work hard, achieve their goals and make them better people for later in life.  Sometimes that gets lost with all of the egos involved.  We forget the real reasons for being coaches. And I agree with Clubonlyforus, Coach Cantrell will NEVER leave AC.  They will probably have to bury him under the net on the main court.  Bet that is in his contract.

• Upvote 1

Wow, I don't log on for a few weeks and look what happens!

First, I would be surprised if Coach Cantrell would leave AC but you never know. A more likely hire would be one of the assts. When were there alot of young coaches would work there and then move to head jobs elsewhere. Our JV coach took the Oak Ridge head job and I know that several of ACs assistants went on to take head jobs. At summer camps they would come back and help. One girl I really liked won a state title in Georgia, and another won a state championship in one of the Carolina's. Do they have any young assts? I think an AC coach would be a great hire, but I think it would have to be an asst coach. I highly doubt Karns pays near what AC pays, and AC has too much tradition and community support. I don't know of a better coaching position in the area.

Another thing is club. It seems like alot of posters on here are loyal to a particular club, I know for a fact that at AC they won't push club. If the girl wants to play they support her, but they wouldn't tolerate the type of behavior that is talked about on here.

As far as other coaches go is Coach Jones still in town? Catholic was the other good team in Knoxville when we were there (only Knoxville team that ever beat us in our four years) and Coach Cantrell had a TON of respect for coach Jones. He would be a great hire. I also liked Paul Brock at GPS and the Sullivan South coach, but they would be tough hires. Just like at AC, they are in powerful programs.

I would not hire a club coach. High School varsity jobs are HARD. You have to be a real coach, and not a SALESMAN like these club coaches. They have a place, but they don't have any idea about real coaching. They perpetuate themselves by tearing down programs that don't feed them money. Stay away. I don't like the middle school idea either.

Get an established coach, with a track record of success, or a talented young asst who has worked for and played for strong programs.

Food for thought. Most volleyball folks check here for info pretty frequently. Most ADs don't have a clue about anything other than football and basketball. When I was in high school our coach just up and quit. No reason other than he was over it. We had been to the state and were pretty good, he just got burned out.

Our ADs "search" lasted all of five minutes. He looked to see which school was the best at volleyball, called their AD and hired their JV coach.

Why don't the Karns parents that post get on here and give the 5 names of people they want, in no order, and I bet someone will let them know and they can apply.

Don't leave someone off just because you think they have no interest. Some people like challenges,some like the Bearden coach may be under fire and just want to move. Put Rob Patricks name if you want, but I would make it a true WISH list. Who knows...

BTW coach Foster is staying put!

I would love to have rob patrick..

All seriousness. The only 2 people that could bring our Karns program back and do it the correct way is Andrew Garland at Catholic or Chris Hames at Webb.

I heard Garland had he Bearden job and turned it down. I'm pretty sure that is true. Philly, would you have been happy with coach Garland?