Club volleyball in knoxville

bigbluevolley

I thought we should start a new thread for club volleyball.

We have 3 clubs in our small town. Let me just put it out there that I know more about Phoenix Rising then any of the others. I am not afraid to ask my friends what they think about each club they are going to, so I will report their comments every once in a while..

First question.....Why does the new club have a blurb about the Bearden Libero signing with Louisville? Didn't she play at K2?

Second question....I see both KVA and K2 are going to quite a few tournaments called MEPL. What is that?

Just FYI ...I'm a Former k2 now KVA supporter, so you know where I stand.

1) coach Dave the director for new KVA club is also the coach for Bearden. He has coached the BHS libero for two years and she is part of his team. Her mother is president of BHS booster club and most importantly, Kva recognizes all girls for their achievement no matter which club they play for.

2) MEP league is the Mid East power league. It's all power pool type play for 4 weekends. Strong northern teams like MAVA, Asics munciana, NKYVC and Asics KIVA are some of the participating clubs just to name a few. Much more challenging play then what can be found in the southern region now. Lots more travel too.

Also, Bearden's Libero and Setter played together about 7 years ago for their first year of club at SMJVC.  They have been great friends ever since.  The Libero is graduating early or she would be playing club this year also.

The MEPL is basically pool games each weekend until the "championship".  You get seeded for the next weekend on how you played this weekend.  It is mostly top clubs that do it and is very competitive.  It goes along with the idea, to get better you have to play better teams.  Instead of going to a tournament and maybe seeing one or two really good teams in the finals, you play them all weekend.

Here is what Spike4 said about it in another thread. This person hit the nail on the head.

"Ok, I've sat back and read enough....now, let's tell the whole truth without putting a spin on it:

Coaches Agenda:

1.Get someone very close to him and put her on a level that HE THINKS she deserves

2. Give the same someone very close to him all the awards HE THINKS she should get.

These things did not happen last year in club so...he puts together HIS OWN CLUB so he can call the shots and no one can tell him "she doesn't deserve it". Gotta hand it to him. That's what you call doing what you have to do! That's a dad that loves his kid right?!!"

Now this is for real.

ORCAT.....HAHAHAHA That would NEVER happen. Read the what Spike4 said. They are correct. That's why he wouldn't leave club.

Believe me. All the parents think its greener on the other side. it seldom is. Once their teams start losing and players aren't getting what their parents think they deserve then it won't be pretty. It's just how it is. Some parents can never be happy. Look at their roster. About 97% of the roster at KVA is made up of peole that didn't make the 1 team last year at K2. So when parents tell you it's not about where their kids were placed last year it's aweful funny that most of the transfers are 2 team players.

Why are there 2 "Red" teams in some age brackets? Is that because they both red teams are so powerful that they made them even or is because they charge the red teams more. lol

Philly

I am correct. You are correct about the KVA coach not leaving and only coaching Bearden.

He wanted to coach Bearden because, again, he wanted his daughter to get all the accolades. Then his daughter didn't make the 1 team at K2 so he opened up his own club so she could get on the 1 team there and get what he feels she deserves. Like I said, he takes care of his own thats for sure.

Ask him this. "Coach, if your daughter would have been on the 16-1 team last year, would you have changed clubs"?

He might lie though....LMAO!!!!!

lmao...

He coached Bearden because the previous bhs coach had no idea how to coach a team with club players. They had more potential then she could even know how to coach. Parents asked for him to coach BHS. His daughter gets all the accolades she deserves. She won rookie of the year for the District even before he came on the scene.

Btw..you don't get accolades in club ball so your argument that she left because of that is ridiculous. He opened the club because many parents looking for an alternate option. Yes, many are 2 team players from last year. But at least 10% are from k2 1 teams who chose to leave. k2 has a new "vision" to be a copycat of sports performance and only tall girls matter now. Last year 5 members of the team that went to nationals lost their spot on a one team because they weren't tall enough to meet the standards. 5'10 was the minimum. Yes, even BHS coach's daughter was told "you are the best setter we have, but your jump touch isn't the highest of the setters."

They brought in one Chattanooga player last year and have at least 3 more, all 6 ft, this year. It's all about getting tall players not about skill. Wait until all the knoxville parents, especially charter members kids start losing spots to recruits. Then tell me how "pretty" it is there.

Lastly, k2 club owner and high school coach puts K2 before her high school team. Webb doesn't even have tryouts until August. No training or practice over the summer at all because she has to focus on her business that supports sending her kid(s) to private school. The beach season takes up all the summer so high school ball waits.

Vblife99

You are now almost as bad as ORCAT. Read how stupid ORCAT's post. That's how your last post sounded. I thought you knew what you were talking about until this last post.

K2 has many players that are smaller than 5'10". Do they want all their players to be 5'10' and higher? Well heck yes they do. That's like asking the owner of a science lab if he would like all his employees to be noble peace prize winners in the area of science. So are you telling me that the KVA coaches are going to turn down tall girls so they don't beat out the shorter ones? What are you smoking??

Vblife99. When you come to the table please come with something that is true and that doesn't make you sound lieka crazy volleyball parent.

• Upvote 1

Spike, of course kva would take 6' girls don't be stupid! But kva doesn't go searching in other cities hours away and promise them a 1team and free play. Most can't even play that well . it's just about height. It's all for the sake of ego and claiming all our players are D1 material, which total crap! The majority of the girls at any club in knoxville are not D1 level. Look on twitter it's there from all the k2 girls that's what the goal is at k2 and it's coaches. To stroke their own ego. Not everyone is going to be or wants to be a d1 player but still wants competitive play.

We will see this week how many of the 1 team girls are still on the 1 team this year after they bring up players from other areas and promise them 1spots.