Club volleyball in knoxville

bigbluevolley

I don't know if you've noticed but i've removed almost all of my negative comments.  Just didn't want it left up there.  I've played and coached AAU basketball and trust me it's in all sports.  Everyone thinks that their team is better than the other.  I've also seen it in baseball as young as little league.  It's not just volleyball.  Sports Performance has a great system, they have 3-4 tiers (all recruit level).  They also have break off clubs of their own.  It's kinda cool. They've created their own competition by opening clubs under another name.  Now that is the way to go.  It'd be nice to kind of just have one big powerhouse club, yet keep the styles and levels separate.  

I do have a child that plays. I know of Sports Performance. Kelsey Robinson came from there. They have an awesome system. They help a ton of girls and actually have great success getting girls to college.

I think what I'm hearing is that KVA is more like a rec league club that (if possible) will have some teams play in big tournaments. There's a place for this kind of club for sure. The girls really want to play volleyball but don't want to put that much work in because "they have a life" outside of volleyball. I can understand that and there is nothing wrong with that what so ever.

I wonder (outside of this MEPL thing) if their teams will play club or open at tournaments. Can someone that really knows give us the answer to this. See phoenix rising played in  a lot of tournaments but never in open. Anyone can play in club but if you want to really play good teams and you are a 1 team or "red" team you should play open.

Most of the top teams at kva, if not all of them, will never play in club. They will only play power and open. That is part of how to get better. As the season moves on, a team may decide to adjust that if they are getting creamed all the time, but I know the mentality at kva is to play highly competive tournaments, not rec ball.

Wow, what a crazy thread.  Sounds like BruinBabe has some experience worth listening too.  And I agree completely with HardAngle on the perception of club volleyball and how it has changed the sport.  The next few days should be interesting.  And as HardAngle said, Happy Thanksgiving to all and safe travels.  Lets all be thankful for the wonderful families we have.  Never take them for granted.

The problem is that these parents don't want to listen or believe that in some instances they are duped. When Coach Foster ran Smokey Mountain Juniors it was a true club. Not too expensive, it worked with instead of against the high school programs, and it was done to help improve the players skills, not make money.

When the Hames did what they did look what happened. Is how the formed K2 right? Is Jay Hames really who you want to be working with your daughter?

The problem with KVA is that they want their cake and eat it too. The libero from Bearden has no business being on the KVA website. She is a total project of K2 and her crazy hard work in the gym. I don't care what you all say. The reason she is on the KVA website is becaus ethey have no D1 signees and they want to use her. It is not because "they care about all girls". Give me a break. He is using that poor girl to advance his club. If the shoe were on the other foot, the KVA parents would be furious that K2 took one of "their" players and put it on their website. Mr. Mcginnis chose to start his own business and he should do that. He has every right to. He should however, use his own girls on his website and not a K2 girl. Mcdonalds doesn't advertise the whopper. Quit using K2 girls for your advancement coach. It's wrong and you know it.