Club volleyball in knoxville

bigbluevolley

After thinking about my last comment, it got me thinking about how much this really is all about the parents, not the girls. The girls don't care who plays at what club. Most have friends and classmates at the opposing club. They still talk, tweet and hang out with each other. Why do us parents, and yes I have to admit...myself, get so one sided about all this. Each club has something to offer girls. Families just have to make the best choice for their own daughter. I know many of the parents that have continued to play at K2, and my opinion of them hasn't changed because of it. My life hasn't been drastically affected because they play at k2 and we chose KVA. I was dissatisfied with my daughter's experience there, so we switched. Simple as that.

I hope that when our teams do meet at tournaments its us parents who step up and be the role models, not the girls.

That has ALWAYS been the problem. As a matter of fact it has ALWAYS been the problem in most sports. The parents ARE the problem. Spike4 has a good point too. Just tell the truth. There's no problem to say why you truly started your club. Don't hide behind or make people think you started it for "non-sense" reasons. Yes its totally ok to leave one place and go to another because you are unhappy with the way they treated your child. My goodness there is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the way the customer service is at Home Depot then go to Lowes!!!!! It's ok. There's no need to make false excuses why you are now going to lowes. I'm going to lowes becuase they treated me like crap at home depot. Clap Clap Clap. The parents need to come to grips with who their kids are and what they want. Like you said. The girls would be happy no matter where they played (most of them).

The only hiccup in this whole thing though is....When son Johnny goes out on his own and gets a job and he's not first to be chosen then what? Does he look back at what momma and Daddy did when he didin't make the wrestling team (they moved him somewhere else so he could wrestle) or does he man up and work hard until he gets chosen? I really don't know the answer to that. Would love to here thoughts on it though. Sorry for rambling.

I totally agree. K2 could not offer us what KVA could this year so we moved. We also have friends at all the knoxville clubs and wish all of them success.

I think the motive behind why dave started the club has gotten a little off though. He has coached volleyball for quite sometime and has loved the sport most of his life. I dont know for sure, but I think he has thought about running a club for a while now. I believe that the things that were going on at K2 probably sped up the process, but I think he would have started a club anyway. His daughter has only one more year of high school, and he had no intentions of leaving the sport. Since he apparantley didnt agree with the coaching philosophy at K2, then why not start a club of his own? Nobody trashed K2 when they split from smjvc, Chris and J just felt like the needs of club volleyball were not being met in the knoxville area so they started K2.

I would imagine if KVA starts treating some girls different than others and/or treating the 2 teams like second class citizens, then we will see a new club open up in a few years again. lol.

Clubonly, Love your thoughts but there's one reason and one reason only why KVA was started. I'll let you answer this question because I know you will be honest. Yes or No. Would KVA be in existance now if the directors daughter would have been on the 1 team last season at K2. Your TRUE thoughts only. Actually you don't have to answer that. It kinda puts you on the spot and I don't want to do that. We all know the answer and if you tell the truth it may come back to bite you if your daughter plays at KVA.....

There really is no reason for anyone to hide behind why they are starting a business. If you feel you are doing the right thing then just own up to the answer and stand behind it. Like I said before. It's ok to feel that way. Just stand behind it. I started the new club because my daughter was not put on the one team and she deserved to be. Thats easy. Not a bad reason. Just the truth.

I think that is unfair. This guy is a teacher and a dad. He never coached anywhere before his daughter started playing but I suspect that is true with most of these club folks. He didn't start KVA because of his daughter, he started it as a BUSINESS. To make money. Nothing wrong with that. PR was a joke and K2 was an open money grab, so the market was there.

Get off the daughter thing. Not cool.

These parents pay these clubs exorbitant amounts of money to have young coaches who played in high school but have never coached open the gym, set up the lights, and organize play. One of the KVA coache was a high school senior last year! Get over it.

Im truly just not sure about that.  Dave was fed up like a lot of us parents at all the cussing and belittling that was going on to all the girls.  I'm sure he got upset about what happened with his daughter being told that she was the best setter at K2 (which many of us believe), then there was a dispute with K2.  The next thing we knew, she was tossed to the side like she didnt matter.  A disagreement about a different matter with parents and management, shouldnt be taken out on the player, period!

Like I said before, I think he was probably planning on starting a club anyway.  With what went on last year, it just got started earlier than expected (my guess).

Many of us parents were also upset about the number of free rides that were given out and paid for by US!  Believe me, the last 2 or 3 years of K2 was spiraling down hill for many of the customers.  We just wanted to take our money elsewhere.  If you will look, there are a few former elite players, that may have been considered the best players in the area,  that left as well.  Not everyone came from a "2" team or from the bench.

So maybe Dave did start it just because his daughter didnt make the "1" team last year.  But, there was over a hundred more girls came with her.  Does that say something about him, or K2? I think both.  Many of us needed a change, and we have trust in him.  Simple as that.

It was not a split so much as a hijack. Coach Foster ran the club to help promote volleyball. She never really made any money,actually put her own money in. All of us that helped essentially did it for free. The girls were never treated badly, costs were kept down. It was a positive experience.

Personally I felt back stabbed. I have a good opinion of K as a coach, the other doesn't know anything, but it was awful. Records were taken and then a smear campaign began. Left a bad taste.