Club volleyball in knoxville

bigbluevolley

I know Carmen was at K2 several times the last couple of years. I dont think there was much of a riff between her and Chris. I also know there were some money issues with smjvc. I dont think anyone took any money, I just think they tried to do too much for too little money. I hate having to pay what it costs to do club volleyball, but if you add up everything involved, it is going to cost near what these clubs are charging, then you decide whether or not to pay coaches or look for volunteers. It cant be done for much less.

I don't think anyone took money. I think that SM was run as a not for profit to help expose the girls to volleyball. The K2 crew wanted to make money. Nothing wrong with that, most clubs want to make money. I am not speaking for Coach Foster who is a high class person. It was handled badly. I like K, think she is a good coach. Don't care for J.

orcat...we KNOW you don't like J. You've said that multiple times now. Wonder if it has anything to do with play time and your daughter. Isn't most of the complaints about coaches playing time?You know a lot of parents think their kids are better than they really are.

J and Chris asked Carmen to stay involved but she chose not to. It wasn't handled badly. They did the right thing and went to her with their ideas and she chose t walk away. There are 2 sides to every story. 

I can speek for myself.  Chris an Jay have been nothing but great to my daughter and my family.  I know some of the parents did not like the idea of closed practices but i understand why they did it.  Too many parents that have been involved in there childs development from the time they were little kids have a hard time letting go.  I have seen parents coach there child from the side lines at PRACTICE. When my daughter was younger I did the same thing and I get it. I have since learned that this underminds the coaching staff plan for  teaching  the and developing the player and team.  Some of the parents did not like that the teams were traveling alone ( no parents)  and were not allowed to spend time with the parents on away trips. Once again this was done to keep the parents that think they knew what was best for their child from underminding the coaching staff at the tournaments by telling their child to do this or that no matter what the coach said.  I bet if you asked the kids they would say they loved it. I know my daughter loved not having to hear her parents assessment of how she played after the games. 

I have read and heard some of the comments about some of the Language that some of the Coaches use at K2.  I personaly have not heard it.  I do not believe it needs to be used to motivate players but im sure they are used to hearing much worse at their schools.  Still not an excuse for that language.  As far as the claim of Be-littling a player,  I have not seen that either.  I know that there have been times when my daughter has come home and said that somebody was told to leave practice because they were not giving one hundered percent or their attitude stunk and it was affecting practice.  I dont know what has been said to kids in their program but i am sure when it is translated from the child to the parent,  some of the details may have been left out to make it seem as if they are slamming the kid. I was not there so i really can comment on it.

What I can comment on is that we have had a wonderful experience at K2. Jay and his staff have been tough on the her but i know when she goes to college she will be physically and mentaly ready to play. I have seen several highschool kids go off to play college sports only to leave those programs because they just werent ready to play at that level.  Jay has even taken the time contact colleges on my daughters behalf and acompany my daughter on college visits.

His exact words to my daughter were" I want you to go to the college that is the best fit for you no matter what level D1, D2 etc.  My wish for you is that when you graduate you come back to me and tell me that you had a great experience at college."

I know that this is just one experience and I dont speak for the club or any other parents.  I am sure that the other clubs in the area are doing the same things for their players and the kids will have great experiences and get the training they need to continue playing the sport they love.  I hate that a couple of bad experiences can smear an organizations name or put a rumor out there about them but it happens. Give it some time and it will happen to KVA as well.  Some parent will get upset about how their child was treated and start spreading terrible rumors about the club. I think and hope that all the clubs in Knoxville and surrounding area have the players best insterest in mind. Each club will have its own format on how to develop the players and promote their club.  I guess you have to find the one that best fits your family and childs needs.

• Upvote 1

Ebther, very very good post.  Especially your first paragraph.  I totally agree about some of the problem parents, we still have them.  Their daughters are driving age yet the parent is still at every single practice. Its pityful.  I thought the way K2 needed to handle it was to remove the parents that coached from the side lines and tell them its not acceptable to be that way. But leave the parents alone that are not doing that.  We had parents driving great distances just to have to sit in their cars or drive around for 3 hours.  Some of these parents need to cut the cord and let their child spread their wings on their own.

I am not going to elaborate on the belittling, because its just not necessary.  The parents "in the know" are aware that it was going on. Enough said.

Cant wait for the season to begin!! Good luck to everyone.

I agree that luckily we have more than one club in the area so that we have choices.  We have to choose what is best for our daughters.  Maybe this club is closer to drive, more cost effective, has girls that my daughter knows, better college connections, etc.

Club

I agree about the belittling comment.  Everybody has there own reasons for leaving or joining a club.  like you said,  enough said.

My daughters team had some players on it that drove long distances to bring there daughters to practice as well but the fire that would be started over letting some parents stay  to watch practice and kicking some of them out would be wild. To be fair you just have to kick them all out and close practice.

I am more guilty than anybody on this post of being that parent that thought they new more than the coach and tried to tell my daughter what to do in the practice and the games.  I am ashamed to say that more than once I made her cry on the way home from a game saying things like: " You absolutly did nothing in that game today!' and " Whay are you not in this position or why are you moving there.  WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!"  I as do with most parents we put way more pressure to preform on our kids than any club coaching staff will ever do. I had her to the point that she was going to quit the sport that she loved so dearly.  I finally cut the strings and let the coaches have control and she has now blossemed into the a player that i could have never concieved her to be.  Strong, Confidant and one of the leaders of her team.  I applaude the directors decision to close practices and limit contact with the players at the tournemants. It allows the parents and the player to decompress after a tough game.  I have learned (very stubbornly) that this is a great benefit to the players growth.  I think that other clubs should look into doing the same.

I am not proud of some of the things i put my daughter thru as she was learning to play her sport.  I am hoping that this post will help others look inside themselves and see what pain and damage they might be causing there daughters.  My expectations of her talent were far above the level of skill that she had at that moment in time.  Every parent wants  there child to be the superstar of the team and are jaded to the fact that they just might not be at the level you think they are.

I am with you and cant wait for the tournements to begin.  It is going to be an awesome season.  Good luck to all.

• Upvote 1

You should never close practice. Never. That is innapropriate in these times.

You are experiencing what Nashville went thru, and it destroyed a lot of people and took a lot of money.

These people are salesman. Their business is to get you to spend as much money as possible. Some colleges will support what they are saying to get a recruit any edge.

Everyone in the state volleyball community knew Carmen Foster and what she did with Smoky Mounjain Juniors. It pre dated Impact. None of us ever heard of the Hames until they formed K2, and it is no more than a costly, but average, club. Never heard of KVA or anyone on their web site other than Coach Foster.

Look, no disrespect, you only have two established programs in East Tennessee. Sullivan South and Anderson County.here in Nashville these are the two teams we scout, because year in year out they are competitive. Has anyone asked these coaches their thoughts? Are either of the schools have ex players or coaches coaching

On KVA they have a coach who was a high senior last year! No distress perct but come on.

I hate what has happen in Knoxville with club and high school volleyball.  In 2000, we had 1 club in Chattanooga for years then about 7 to 9 years ago we had a big club split. It diluted the talent, of the club volleyball teams. I was told it was caused by a club admin disagreement. My oldest daughter stayed with the original club D2W because her friends all want to play together and some would not try out for the new club CCC.  Paul Brock started both of these volleyball clubs.  I think with CCC they have really showed it is about quality and not quantity with the way they control who the head coaches are.  I really think Paul and CCC staff is driven by passion of volleyball not the gain of fame or money.   They all seemed to have a day job and work with kids from around the Chattanooga, Cleveland, and North Georgia area.  I did see the light the next year and went with (CCC) the club that had my daughters best interest in mind.   Today Chattanooga has 4 clubs if all my friends have told me correct, CCC, C4, Georgia Adrenalin, and Set4life, this year the talent pool of players doesn’t seem as diluted when we only had 2 clubs, but a whole lot of more kids get to play club volleyball at a higher level that just high school.   I think most of the better players with the same level of skill and goals go to the same club.  My sister’s kids play in CCC and they have had a great experience.  She told me that CCC club directors address and control the few parents that caused issues at practice or tournaments to allow parents to enjoy the experience of club.  We got so much more out of club then we ever paid.  The better coaching and teaching from high school, family time, friends, and the life lessons (Yes, not all good) we all learned.   

My sister did say that CCC had 3 high profile players from last year go to K2.  She said 2 of the players went because they were offered free rides to play.  I didn’t like it when A5 tried to get one of our players and Nashville Impact coaches also offered one of our key plays a position the next year as well.  Chattanooga has some great coaches and so does all the cities in Tennessee.

I also find it hard to believe that a college coach would tell a player to go to another club 2 hours away (maybe For Free) unless a key team mate was playing there.  I hope this isn’t true.  As some have said, find the club, coach, price, and teammates to allow your daughter to be all that she can.

VbInsider44, Isn't it true that people can do what ever they want to. That, if a mom wants to send her child to Knoxville for club, that's her business and no one elses? Isn't this the way of the United States? Who cares where a girl goes. That's just too bad. That's life.

Coach from Bearden wanted to start another club..Oh well. That's his decision. If by doing it he diluted the talent in a small volleyball community then so be it. Nothing anyone can do.

The man started a new club and parents had to make some decisions. Some hard ones and some easy ones. They made a decision that was best for their daughter/daughters.

Do college coaches tell their recruited and committed players where to play club? Of course they do. especially if they think the club they are playing at stinks. That happened to a friend of mine from PR. Her college coach "suggested" she switch and go to K2 for her last year because the college knew she would learn more at K2. The college coaches know the good clubs and the bad ones. They are not stupid. They want their recruit to learn as much as she can before she gets on campus!!

BBV Mom's have the right to do most anything. They should do what is best for their kid. I was talking about K2 recruiting players by offering free rides to players. All do have the right to choose playing for free or playing because it is right for them.

Yes if I went out and started a club then parents would have more decisions. More clubs more decisions that is life.

I looked up the K2 club and it seems to have some good coaches. I know the coaches at Choo Choo and know they have good ones as well. So, I would still bet the players went for cost. Which was the parent’s choice to reduce cost.

I'm sure that if a city had a real poor club that a college coach might say go to this club they have a good team and you may want to go there if you want to go to Nationals. If a players team does better, than some of those players could increase the recruits ranking. This could increase the ranking of the colleges recruiting class. The college coach and parents both hope playing at the better club would better the kid for her college team.