Heard a McMinn Central fan complain about officiating....

bigbearsfan

That was pretty incredible! He talked about how they got hosed against William Blount. (and, Blount county does have a bad reputation when it comes to that).  But that place has a reputation for home cooking. (big time). 

Look, they have had great teams, I am not denying that. JM is an excellent coach, and although they have underachieved in M-Buro, they should have a lot of pride. Just thought his statement was a little ironic. 

That was pretty incredible! He talked about how they got hosed against William Blount. (and, Blount county does have a bad reputation when it comes to that).  But that place has a reputation for home cooking. (big time). 

Look, they have had great teams, I am not denying that. JM is an excellent coach, and although they have underachieved in M-Buro, they should have a lot of pride. Just thought his statement was a little ironic.

They still got a bad taste in their mouth after they got ripped off on the final shot of the Cannon County game last year that was ruled good but shouldn't have.

They still got a bad taste in their mouth after they got ripped off on the final shot of the Cannon County game last year that was ruled good but shouldn't have.

Central fans are quite passionate. I am one. I would say that officiating was very tough to watch last Saturday, but it was mostly fans not being used to touch fouls being called so easily. The Blount County game did have a large majority of fouls called against Central. A noticeable amount more than WB. Not saying any foul play was going on at all, but it was tough to watch. Both halves started with 7-1 and 8-0 in fouls called against Central. Mostly, I think Central will just have to adjust from such a high pressure man defense. 

On the home cooking comment, I honestly believe that every good basketball program gets the benefit of the doubt most of the time at home. Local refs are used to the way those home teams play. I don't believe it's home cooking in the sense that the refs are cheating for the home team. Central is a very difficult place to play and especially pull out a win. Teams often get very flustered playing in that environment. I think any true fans of a team will complain about non calls no matter who you are. No game is ever won or lost by the refs. 

On the Cannon game last year though, it was definitely a mistake that cost the game. And that's all I have to say about that ;)

• Upvote 1

You might want to bone up on the TSSAA changes to officiating this year. No longer can a defensive player use their arm as a bar or shield to push against an offensive player moving with the ball or lay hands on an offensive player with the ball if it in any way impedes the progress of that player making an offensive move. Not saying that I totally agree but this was how it was explained in the officials pre-season training sessions.

McMinn Central definitely has home-court advantage due to the small size of the gym with their fans getting very involved in game action. The refs, despite supposedly being objective, can't help but get caught up in the hoopla generated by these fans and often calls are made due to the influence of fans and the constant barrage of haranguing of the officials by the home coaches.  

I'm not a disgruntled fan of McMinn Central or any other team in that district. Just an astute observer of what goes on in that domed gym.

I agree. That's what I was attempting to say in my post. Central must adjust to the rules changes this year because they have traditionally played a man pressure defense. I also don't agree with it. From what I have observed, it's a ploy to get scores up. In my opinion, a high school shot clock would fix that problem. It would increase the speed of the game, and keep teams from winning state championships by 3 points every year because they held the ball for the last 4 minutes forcing the other team to foul them. That's not basketball.

I won't disagree with the comments about playing at the Round House. However, it's just the same at any other aggressive home court (Livingston and Meigs County comes to mind from those that I have been to). 

McMinn Central coach Morgan has had a bad habit lately of being critical in the media about officiating - but only when his team loses. I've yet to ever hear him complaining when the roles are reversed and the other team has more fouls called against them.

In his teams' loss last season in sub-state against Cannon County, the infamous 3 pointer at the end of the game by Cannon County for the win brought even more complaints from him. Yet video evidence shows that it would have been impossible for the refs to determine without question whether it was released on time or not. The ref called it good, they conferred and all 3 agreed it was good in their opinion. We don't have instant replay in high school and some calls will be missed. The actual video frame-by-frame showed the ball was still on the Cannon County player's fingertips when the clock hit zero, but we're talking tenths of a second that the refs had to state good or bad - they said good. To prove that it wasn't a referee conspiracy to make Central lose, the scoreboard clearly showed that Central had been in the double-bonus, yet Cannon County hadn't been in the bonus at the end of the game.

Back to the point - coach Morgan needs to drop the whining about officiating!!!

They had every call go their way in a region final at Cleveland State a few years back, in a close game. The major calls I remember, a player took three steps at the end of the first half, no call and made a long three pointer. Late in the game, the defender guarding a girl fell on her backside at the foulline, girl blew past her to the goal but play was stopped preventing a layup even though the player was not hurt and in no danger of being run over. Final score was only a two or three point difference. Loser had to go to Upperman for sectional, winner hosted.

Edited by Indian

I agree. That's what I was attempting to say in my post. Central must adjust to the rules changes this year because they have traditionally played a man pressure defense. I also don't agree with it. From what I have observed, it's a ploy to get scores up. In my opinion, a high school shot clock would fix that problem. It would increase the speed of the game, and keep teams from winning state championships by 3 points every year because they held the ball for the last 4 minutes forcing the other team to foul them. That's not basketball.

Good argument except in the NCAA men's game (with a shot clock) scoring has went down every year for the past 3-5 years.

The rules in NFHS have not changed, they are just "strongly suggesting" that officials clean the game up since it is being enforced in the college game.

Good argument except in the NCAA men's game (with a shot clock) scoring has went down every year for the past 3-5 years.

The rules in NFHS have not changed, they are just "strongly suggesting" that officials clean the game up since it is being enforced in the college game.

A shot clock has been in place since 1985 in NCAA though. I doubt it's the reason for scoring to go down in the past 3-5 years. A shot clock in high school would force teams to, at a minimum, shoot every 35 seconds. It really would change the pace of most good teams until the 4th quarter, but it would still make scores go up and make the game more pure. This is obviously just my opinion. Every other level has a shot clock above high school. I just think it's time for it to be in high school now. 

A shot clock has been in place since 1985 in NCAA though. I doubt it's the reason for scoring to go down in the past 3-5 years. A shot clock in high school would force teams to, at a minimum, shoot every 35 seconds. It really would change the pace of most good teams until the 4th quarter, but it would still make scores go up and make the game more pure. This is obviously just my opinion. Every other level has a shot clock above high school. I just think it's time for it to be in high school now. 

First off, i'm all for a shot clock. Second, I wasn't implying that the shot clock is the reason the scoring has went down. I was just saying that don't get hung up on scoring will go up because of a shot clock because you take higher level athletes with a shot clock and scoring has went down (proven statistical data). But if kids continue to foul then the shot clock would be obsolete either way. This year for NCAA/high school is going to be a re-learning/adjusting year to get the game cleaned up to be more of a pure game and not a rugby match.

They will never put a shot clock in the highschool game and heres why.  Whos are the schools going to get that is qualified to run it.  Who is going to pay for them.  i cant see Knox county paying for them and if it is going to unified thruought the state sombodys got to pay for it. Third,  every tournament that i have been to in aau that has a shot clock they never work right.  when they break who is going to pay for them.  I would love to see them at the high school level but dont see it happening anytime soon.