Upperman @ Alcoa

F5seekshelter

I attended the game with my dad, who played for Upperman in 1960.  He has been watching Alcoa vs CAK games for the past 5 years, so he was very familiar with the Tornadoes and knew what was in store for his alma mater. But with all the "Superman" hype he wanted to see York and the boys first hand.  When we walked into the stadium we were impressed with the number of fans that the Bees had brought with them.  (The gate would have been a nice bonus for Alcoa if it weren't for the TSSAA taking such a large cut).  However, when we saw the teams warming up we knew Upperman was in trouble...lets just say they didn't pass the eye test for what it takes to compete with Alcoa.  Once the game started we weren't surprised to see Alcoa score on the 3rd play, but we were surprised to see the Bees drive down the field and score to tie it up at 6-6.(Side note: the Tornadoes need to work on their kicking game).  So we were thinking we might be wrong and that Upperman may be more competitive than we had assumed.  Wrong ... it really never was a contest until the freshmen team was inserted for Alcoa in the 2nd half.  And the Tornado freshman won that contest as well.

1. Congrats to Alcoa...looking strong for another championship, but don't take CPA too lightly.

2. This game, being a semi-final game, just shows once again the discrepancy in the balance of power in 3A football in TN       and the flaws with the way the playoff brackets are set up. I believe CAK would have beaten Upperman handily, GP would have beaten Upperman, etc....

3. Congrats to Upperman for a 13-1 record, not your fault that your strength of schedule was weak. For your area of the state you proved to be a good team.

4. York appears athletic, tough and has had a very impressive statistical season.  He plays very "loose" with the ball, too small and not nearly fast enough to be considered a high level college prospect IMHO.  Maybe he will get a chance at the small college level.

I attended the game with my dad, who played for Upperman in 1960. He has been watching Alcoa vs CAK games for the past 5 years, so he was very familiar with the Tornadoes and knew what was in store for his alma mater. But with all the "Superman" hype he wanted to see York and the boys first hand. When we walked into the stadium we were impressed with the number of fans that the Bees had brought with them. (The gate would have been a nice bonus for Alcoa if it weren't for the TSSAA taking such a large cut). However, when we saw the teams warming up we knew Upperman was in trouble...lets just say they didn't pass the eye test for what it takes to compete with Alcoa. Once the game started we weren't surprised to see Alcoa score on the 3rd play, but we were surprised to see the Bees drive down the field and score to tie it up at 6-6.(Side note: the Tornadoes need to work on their kicking game). So we were thinking we might be wrong and that Upperman may be more competitive than we had assumed. Wrong ... it really never was a contest until the freshmen team was inserted for Alcoa in the 2nd half. And the Tornado freshman won that contest as well.

1. Congrats to Alcoa...looking strong for another championship, but don't take CPA too lightly.

2. This game, being a semi-final game, just shows once again the discrepancy in the balance of power in 3A football in TN and the flaws with the way the playoff brackets are set up. I believe CAK would have beaten Upperman handily, GP would have beaten Upperman, etc....

3. Congrats to Upperman for a 13-1 record, not your fault that your strength of schedule was weak. For your area of the state you proved to be a good team.

4. York appears athletic, tough and has had a very impressive statistical season. He plays very "loose" with the ball, too small and not nearly fast enough to be considered a high level college prospect IMHO. Maybe he will get a chance at the small college level.

Nice post FD. Congrats to your Father getting to see his Upperman team in the semi's. Glad you guys came. I was glad to see CAK make in to the quarters as well. Nice coaching job by RB and staff. I haven't posted much until recently but have enjoyed your post for many years.

Go Alcoa...

Its a cheap form of entertainment and i seem to be able to get you boys going with every post lol. I have noticed that UCM has not been back on that does disappoint me a little.

For the record, I knew Alcoa was good but i for one did not realize how good they were but i will always eat some crow if i need to and this is one of those times. So ya'll send me a big ol crow to chew on and i will get me a half gallon of buttermilk to get it down with, makes it easier to swallow :)

I'm done with the recruiting stuff, i'll save that for the CPA faithful as that really makes them mad and if ya'll would do me a favor and beat the daylights out of this private school from Nashville i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Oh and i WAS right on the Trousdale/GCA game for the record!! lol

Good sport...now chew!!! lol

I would like to encourage Upperman to learn from this experience. After reading the boards I learned that most other Teams in their area have piled on them hoping they would get beat. Even some "thank yous" to Alcoa for putting up 75. Sounds like others think they ran the score up and didn't treat others nicely. I was amazed at the mass of Upperman fans that came out. However, I was also amazed at how rude some were being. From out ticket lines to concessions to our bathrooms, Upperman was talking smack to everyone within hearing distance. I noticed several around our "Helmet Crew" that I thought might get out of hand. However, it didn't take long to silence them. I don't expect to see them back at Alcoa anytime soon. They were living for the moment which included not playing any 2nd or 3rd Team to get them ready for next year. Alcoa has learned the hard way and grown from failure. Maryville, CAK, and even AE a couple of years ago derailed the mighty F5. Those are humbling reminders. We appreciate were we are and have prepared to get back next year. I can promise that our staff never intended to put up 75. Gotta tackle the 2nd and 3rd Teamers too boys. However, sometimes fate takes over and payback happens. After my rude encounter, I will be the first to admit...75 is a good number.

Go Alcoa!

I would like to encourage Upperman to learn from this experience. After reading the boards I learned that most other Teams in their area have piled on them hoping they would get beat. Even some "thank yous" to Alcoa for putting up 75. Sounds like others think they ran the score up and didn't treat others nicely. I was amazed at the mass of Upperman fans that came out. However, I was also amazed at how rude some were being. From out ticket lines to concessions to our bathrooms, Upperman was talking smack to everyone within hearing distance. I noticed several around our "Helmet Crew" that I thought might get out of hand. However, it didn't take long to silence them. I don't expect to see them back at Alcoa anytime soon. They were living for the moment which included not playing any 2nd or 3rd Team to get them ready for next year. Alcoa has learned the hard way and grown from failure. Maryville, CAK, and even AE a couple of years ago derailed the mighty F5. Those are humbling reminders. We appreciate were we are and have prepared to get back next year. I can promise that our staff never intended to put up 75. Gotta tackle the 2nd and 3rd Teamers too boys. However, sometimes fate takes over and payback happens. After my rude encounter, I will be the first to admit...75 is a good number.

Go Alcoa!

+1

#1 You guys should've had that game won in Baxter but YOU couldn't contain that  "QB oughta be TB". #2 Might want to do another head count on that student population, TSSAA has Notre Dame listed with 713 students. 55 more than Upperman & 167 more than Alcoa. If you had 388 you'd be in 2A.

I was at the Alcoa game last night and Alcoa is very impressive, but the score should have been 75 - 0. The little old hated Irish only gave 19 points, and the big bad Tornandos gave up 18, so maybe the Irish 2A school as you call them can hang for a while with the big boys. I guess if the Marines would not have had the attitude that they can fight anyone no matter the odds then we would be screwed. Just so you know a few of the coaches and parents of the Irish are former Marines, so that being said, we teach them if they were Marines. Maybe your right that they should be in 2A, but until that happens the Irish will be here in 3A to play some football.

I was at the Alcoa game last night and Alcoa is very impressive, but the score should have been 75 - 0. The little old hated Irish only gave 19 points, and the big bad Tornandos gave up 18, so maybe the Irish 2A school as you call them can hang for a while with the big boys. I guess if the Marines would not have had the attitude that they can fight anyone no matter the odds then we would be screwed. Just so you know a few of the coaches and parents of the Irish are former Marines, so that being said, we teach them if they were Marines. Maybe your right that they should be in 2A, but until that happens the Irish will be here in 3A to play some football.

If you were really at the game then you would know that the 1st team gave up 6 points