Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

Was the game over when he got tossed?

If so, then does the ref even have the power to eject him if the game is over?

It was on the last play of the game when a Brentwood player shoved an Ensworth player with the ball in the back who was out of bounds at that time, with the clock on 0 which drew a flag. As Bowers was trying to get to his player to see if he was OK there was mutual physical contact by the ref and Bowers see game film video,(it supports this) that was initiated by the ref not violent, but pretty clear and the ref threw his flag an ejected him. Then the ref told Bowers that he would not be coaching next week, which is the Championship game Dec 5th. If you watch the game film you can see the ref had it out for them all game. Just gives afficiating a bad name.

Edited by BullyDog

It was not 1969-70. Cameron was the boys state basketball champ in '70. They are still listed as such so it was not vacated. Perhaps it was 68-69?

You're probably correct...googling something like that from so long ago gets fairly limited results, and i made a guess based on a small section of the NAACP's suit against the Metro Board of Education. The decision was made in April '68, so it probably covered the '68-'69 school year.

Incorrect. The referees have jurisdiction over all proceedings until such time as both teams/coaches and others immediately involved in the contest have completely left the field/court where the contest was held. They actually have the say so as to when that has officially occurred also. The TSSAA has had to deal with this before. It is within his power as a referee to eject at any time until he has declared the contest officially over. Not saying it is right or wrong, just what the truth is.

Not accurate.  It's even in the article in the Tennessean.

"According to the National Federation of State High School Associations’ rulebook, officials retain jurisdiction “through the referee’s declaration of the end of the fourth period or overtime.â€

On the Deadspin video after all of the chaos of the play etc, the white hat goes to the field and puts his arms out signaling the game is over....shortly thereafter one of the officials throws a flag.  They have NO authority at that point to throw a flag....game is over.  At that point, if anything happens it is the coach's, administrator's and if neccessary the police's responsibility.

So, in my opinion, Coach Bowers will get to coach in the championship due to the exception of a misinterpretation of the rules

Edited by blazeburnin

This whole thing is really fishy.  Ricky has been a head coach for what...almost 20 years?  I think he knows what he can and can't do with officials.  All these head coaches do.  Football and basketball.  If the refs had a problem with him during the game, they would have told him, and he would have changed his behavior accordingly....i.e., "knock it off, or we are going to penalize you."  I can't remember honestly ever hearing of a football coach getting thrown out of a game.  It's really, really rare for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike call to be made on a coach on the sideline.  At worst, sometimes, a losing coach will give the refs an earful after the game, jogging off the field.  Why bother if you won the game?   Why would RB care?

I think "fishy" is the wrong adjective.  RB has a history of pushing the refs to the limit.  Whether he did it in this game, I don't know - you can't see or hear sideline interactions on a webcast.  We do know about the disparity in penalties, so it's probable that there had been some negative interaction.  At the end, I think the ref just lost his cool and blew it. I don't think there was some sinister underlying motive. It is my understanding that the EHS-BA and Oakland-Blackman "headliner" games were supposed to get the top 2 crews available.

As to the disparity in calls.  The real question is whether the calls were correct.  A astute observer can probably peruse a video and determine whether most of the the calls made were correct.  Much more difficult is determining if valid calls were NOT made.  The viewer in the stands and especially on TV has a distant, limited, and/or selective view of the field.  The refs are right there on the field and mostly watching a focused limited area.  I  would be surprised if any of the calls against EHS were "phantom" calls and did not actually happen.  Not to say that they don't happen.

There were 2 probable "game changing" calls against MBA last Friday.  Fortunately both of them were "face masks" so nobody could complain about "judgment" calls.

I am reminded of a BBall game many years ago.  Top ten ranked KY team at Memorial Gym.

Vandy gets the upset win.  The KY coach, fans and media complained loudly about the huge disparity in calls in Vandy's favor.  The Vandy coach - can't remember his name - the one that got fired because he couldn't keep his pants zipped up - simply asked if KY had committed all those fouls or not.  Of course, the answer was yes they did.  A luxury afforded them by their deep bench.  Whether Vandy got away with some - that's a different issue. 

I think "fishy" is the wrong adjective.  RB has a history of pushing the refs to the limit.  Whether he did it in this game, I don't know - you can't see or hear sideline interactions on a webcast.  We do know about the disparity in penalties, so it's probable that there had been some negative interaction.  At the end, I think the ref just lost his cool and blew it. I don't think there was some sinister underlying motive. It is my understanding that the EHS-BA and Oakland-Blackman "headliner" games were supposed to get the top 2 crews available.

As to the disparity in calls.  The real question is whether the calls were correct.  A astute observer can probably peruse a video and determine whether most of the the calls made were correct.  Much more difficult is determining if valid calls were NOT made.  The viewer in the stands and especially on TV has a distant, limited, and/or selective view of the field.  The refs are right there on the field and mostly watching a focused limited area.  I  would be surprised if any of the calls against EHS were "phantom" calls and did not actually happen.  Not to say that they don't happen.

There were 2 probable "game changing" calls against MBA last Friday.  Fortunately both of them were "face masks" so nobody could complain about "judgment" calls.

I am reminded of a BBall game many years ago.  Top ten ranked KY team at Memorial Gym.

Vandy gets the upset win.  The KY coach, fans and media complained loudly about the huge disparity in calls in Vandy's favor.  The Vandy coach - can't remember his name - the one that got fired because he couldn't keep his pants zipped up - simply asked if KY had committed all those fouls or not.  Of course, the answer was yes they did.  A luxury afforded them by their deep bench.  Whether Vandy got away with some - that's a different issue. 

Did you see the game? If not watch the game film youself and then report back. The whole game. Tell me honestly you see where Bowers should be suspended. I think you will agree some of the call that were made seemed like they were out to get Ensworth. Sending Ensworth players off the field because of jerseys that had came out (not tucked in ) and then no call on Brentwood for the same thing and letting them play. There was a lot of ghost calls against Ensworth from what I seen and I am not an Ensworth fan just love high school football.  No dog in this hunt!!!! What is fair for one is fair for all!!!!

Well, this is certainly a shame, especially for the kids.  What a distraction.

The official clearly acted extremely unprofessionally and was the aggressor.  Appears as though he was looking for a reason to throw Bowers out and says "you're bumping me!", when Ricky was relatively calm the entire time.  The statement from the TSSAA was that Bowers was ejected for using profanity.  I have watched the video and Bowers did not use profanity. How could the TSSAA not come to the same conclusion?  IT'S ON VIDEO. 

I've been watching football for a long time and I've never seen a coach ejected.  Ever.  Very strange and made stranger by the manner in which it occured.  Something about this entire chain of events stinks.  I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story.

Well, this is certainly a shame, especially for the kids.  What a distraction.

The official clearly acted extremely unprofessionally and was the aggressor.  Appears as though he was looking for a reason to throw Bowers out and says "you're bumping me!", when Ricky was relatively calm the entire time.  The statement from the TSSAA was that Bowers was ejected for using profanity.  I have watched the video and Bowers did not use profanity. How could the TSSAA not come to the same conclusion?  IT'S ON VIDEO. 

I've been watching football for a long time and I've never seen a coach ejected.  Ever.  Very strange and made stranger by the manner in which it occured.  Something about this entire chain of events stinks.  I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story.

I have been around Ricky for a long long time and have never heard him utter a single profanity. I was not close enough to see what transpired, and I am not really taking sides in this, but I must question the veracity of anyone who accused Bowers of using profanity.

I have known Bowers for a long time. I have friends who are very close to him.

I have never ever heard him use profanity - never. If "crap" is a bad word, then I have maybe heard that. But other than that absolutely not. This is a joke and the referees report already is a big fat lie. He is just covering his rear end.

Also a joke is that the ref cannot work this next round. So what. The next round is for the best crews in the state. he was probably going to be off anyways. Anything less than a 4 game suspension next year is a joke.