Dumb and Dumber...An Ensworth Perspective

airstrip1

Dumb and Dumber…an Ensworth Perspective

Living with eight children will subject one to all kinds of distorted logic and reason, just ask Bill Cosby.  But kids outgrow it…it may take some time but they do get smarter, except in Hermitage this week.

In the Ensworth /Brentwood semifinal football game this past Friday, the ref crew mistook the game for a Justin Beiber concern and decided to do an encore.  Everybody knows that after a game, a normal crew splits and fast, that is unless officating is the time folks listen to them .   But this crew decided to just hang around with Thing One going after coach Bowers after the game.   I don’t know what was said and it doesn’t really matter…the refs are supposed to be GONE….because the game is OVER…you know double zero on the scoreboard. 

But the insanity doesn’t stop there….the refs ejected Bowers after the game and today the TSSAA upheld the ejection because its bylaws don’t allow it to overturn judgment calls.  Then the Association suspended the official for poor judgment saying “there’s no place for it in any situationâ€.  And I’m confused…where are my kids when you need them.   What kinda of Executive Management doesn’t know that Policy is a guide not the Bible.  Man do I feel sorry for coaches, ADs, players.

For no good reason, on December 5 Ensworth will play in a state championship without its head coach and eight months of his preparation will be tarnished because an officiating crew did not leave the field like it was supposed to.  And one official east of Memphis will give this about as much thought as it takes to down a can of Pringles.  And our friends at the TSSAA will be handing out trophies with the absolute certainty that they are always rights…. cause its in the By Laws.

Edited by airstrip1
  • Upvote 1

Good post ... Made me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

Dumb and Dumber…an Ensworth Perspective

Living with eight children will subject one to all kinds of distorted logic and reason, just ask Bill Cosby. But kids outgrow it…it may take some time but they do get smarter, except in Hermitage this week.

In the Ensworth /Brentwood semifinal football game this past Friday, the ref crew mistook the game for a Justin Beiber concern and decided to do an encore. Everybody knows that after a game, a normal crew splits and fast, that is unless officating is the time folks listen to them . But this crew decided to just hang around with Thing One going after coach Bowers after the game. I don’t know what was said and it doesn’t really matter…the refs are supposed to be GONE….because the game is OVER…you know double zero on the scoreboard.

But the insanity doesn’t stop there….the refs ejected Bowers after the game and today the TSSAA upheld the ejection because its bylaws don’t allow it to overturn judgment calls. Then the Association suspended the official for poor judgment saying “there’s no place for it in any situationâ€. And I’m confused…where are my kids when you need them. What kinda of Executive Management doesn’t know that Policy is a guide not the Bible. Man do I feel sorry for coaches, ADs, players.

For no good reason, on December 5 Ensworth will play in a state championship without its head coach and eight months of his preparation will be tarnished because an officiating crew did not leave the field like it was supposed to. And one official east of Memphis will give this about as much thought as it takes to down a can of Pringles. And our friends at the TSSAA will be handing out trophies with the absolute certainty that they are always rights…. cause its in the By Laws.

Didn't they end the game with :02 left on the clock after the ordeal?  Due to the strange ending, this was not a normal game due to the circumstances of the 4th down play.

I think everyone involved had some % of the issues that occurred, no one is 100% at fault, and certainly no one is 0% at fault.  It is what it is....deal with it.

Never understood the phase "Is what it is" for it seems self-evident.   But what is not self evident is that something is right just because an authority says so.  I agree with the 100% and 0% stuff but no way its right that on the one hand a ref sits out a game he could care a less about versus a coach missing out on participating in perhaps a state championship that he or she has prepared for for 8 months.  And that all that is OK because of some cooked up policy designed to protect the Association.     

Didn't they end the game with :02 left on the clock after the ordeal?  Due to the strange ending, this was not a normal game due to the circumstances of the 4th down play.

I think everyone involved had some % of the issues that occurred, no one is 100% at fault, and certainly no one is 0% at fault.  It is what it is....deal with it.

No - the game did not end with :02 on the clock.  Time had expired when #12 for Ensworth ran out of bounds.

No - the game did not end with :02 on the clock.  Time had expired when #12 for Ensworth ran out of bounds.

For those of us that would like to see many of these private schools strike out on their own, maybe this will be the beginning of that happening. If headmasters and coaches start the ball rolling maybe something would come of it. I certainly threw in my 2 cents with the BA folks. I am not an Ensworth dad, alum or fan but I doubt Ensworth will go down without a fight on this one.  I'd be greatly surprised if some type of legal action isn't pursued.  Time to walk away from an organization that simply does not give 2 hoots about DII AA, is not run well, etc - in more ways than this mess

• Upvote 1

There was a deadball foul on the run out of bounds. Regardless of what the clock shows, the game is not over until the penalty is resolved. I have intentionally avoided viewing the video, and will offer no opinion on the call. I know Ricky, like and respect him, and hold him in high regard. The official may or may not have handled the situation appropriately; again, I have no comment on that issue. But to suggest that three "0's" on the scoreboard means the game is over and the official no longer has jurisdiction is incorrect.

There was a deadball foul on the run out of bounds. Regardless of what the clock shows, the game is not over until the penalty is resolved. I have intentionally avoided viewing the video, and will offer no opinion on the call. I know Ricky, like and respect him, and hold him in high regard. The official may or may not have handled the situation appropriately; again, I have no comment on that issue. But to suggest that three "0's" on the scoreboard means the game is over and the official no longer has jurisdiction is incorrect.

The foul was a dead ball foul on the defense which was behind so the game was technically over with the referee indicating such.  I agree that 00 on the scoreboard doesn't mean that the game is over but in this case even the referee indicated such.  Most crews (unless they are looking for drama) leaves it there.  No way justice is served by a coach sitting out a state championship game from all this while an official just sits one out.  If players can be cut or benched, coached fired, why can't officials too be held accountable?

Agree.  And I might add that it is ludicrous, as some have done, to suggest that when the clock hit :00 that the refs should have just "walked off" the field.

I guarantee that had they done so and all pandemonium had broken loose, they would have been the first ones blamed for not establishing order.

Edited by owlbooster