Dumb and Dumber...An Ensworth Perspective

airstrip1

All teams with 7+ wins that do not make the playoffs make go to a bowl game.

I say bring back'em back........ Strawberry Bowl, Crockett Bowl, Walking Horse Bowl, Tobacco Bowl, Watertown Lions Bowl, Mountain Lions Bowl, Pioneer Bowl, Butter Bowl and Nurseryman's Bowl.

Problem is the T$$AA does not want to share money with bowl hosting communities around the state.

TSSAA Football:

Class A:  No private schools

ClassAA:  Zoned public & Private Schools

Class AAA: Open Zoned Public, Magnet Public, Zoned public, Private & Financial giving schools

ClassAAAA: Open Zoned Public, Magnet Public, Public, Zoned public, Private & Financial giving schools

Go back to a district format and only the top two teams in each district qualify for the playoffs.  All teams with 7+ wins that do not make the playoffs make go to a bowl game.

Makes to much sense, remember the dicktators are!  T$$AA

Ya know , I know these guys just come here to get you all worked up and all , but saying that Multiple DII Schools would beat EVERY Public School this year , and every year ... Well you're welcome to your opinion , just don't be surprised when these guys do show up . I respect all the DII schools and would love to add 11 Schools to the Mix every year , because Frankly I get tired of my School always getting beat in the Imaginary Football League .... just like I'm sure you guys do too . Good luck to Ensworth and MUS , I hope Coach Bowers and his Asst get to coach the Game , Chkn Shiiite Reffing no Doubt . 

Pep

appreciate the comments.  frustrating for sure on all sides. not working as currently constructed that is for sure. way too many "champions".  reminds me of the fockers movies - trophy for 13th place.  

Ya know , I know these guys just come here to get you all worked up and all , but saying that Multiple DII Schools would beat EVERY Public School this year , and every year ... Well you're welcome to your opinion , just don't be surprised when these guys do show up . I respect all the DII schools and would love to add 11 Schools to the Mix every year , because Frankly I get tired of my School always getting beat in the Imaginary Football League .... just like I'm sure you guys do too . Good luck to Ensworth and MUS , I hope Coach Bowers and his Asst get to coach the Game , Chkn Shiiite Reffing no Doubt . 

You're right, of course. The trolls can be so annoying at times that otherwise rational posters react with hyperbole, hence statements like the one suggesting a number of Div II schools could beat every public school. (I tend to avoid hyperbole, preferring instead sarcasm). Most of us realize that on a yearly basis, Maryville's list of peers would be pretty short, if it actually had any writing at all. I can't root for you Saturday, as I was zoned to Hendersonville, and had numerous friends there. So I'll root for Hendersonville, but I'd bet on Maryville. Hope you have good weather and a safe trip.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure who would win in these different private vs public scenarios.  But it is almost guaranteed if a private school appeals something to tssaa, they will win. 

No way a public wins such an appeal...I'll side with Ensworth on the "bad judgment" portion of the argument, if that's me calling the game I keep my composure and Bowers coaches the final play (which there should have been by rule), however...the ref had every right to eject the coach in that situation should he have chosen to do so. In order to overturn the ejection there should have been a misinterpreted rule, which there was not. A defensive penalty as the clock expires requires the offense to snap the ball, thus the game is not over. Physical contact with an official justifies the ejection (not required...but it happened), which was the ref's judgment in this case. In review of the situation, TSSAA has opened Pandora's box by reversing an official's in game call based on his judgment of the situation alone. Maryville vs. Whitehaven in the championship game just last season is a good example...clear evidence on film that a call with no merit cost them the gold ball...how did their appeal turn out?

No way a public wins such an appeal...I'll side with Ensworth on the "bad judgment" portion of the argument, if that's me calling the game I keep my composure and Bowers coaches the final play (which there should have been by rule), however...the ref had every right to eject the coach in that situation should he have chosen to do so. In order to overturn the ejection there should have been a misinterpreted rule, which there was not. A defensive penalty as the clock expires requires the offense to snap the ball, thus the game is not over. Physical contact with an official justifies the ejection (not required...but it happened), which was the ref's judgment in this case. In review of the situation, TSSAA has opened Pandora's box by reversing an official's in game call based on his judgment of the situation alone. Maryville vs. Whitehaven in the championship game just last season is a good example...clear evidence on film that a call with no merit cost them the gold ball...how did their appeal turn out?

The TSSAA made their decision based on a misapplication of the rules not a judgment call.  On film the game was signaled as over, albeit incorrectly, the signal was given and the referees no longer had jurisdiction other than filing their reports.  The comparison to the Maryville/Whitehaven bad call is not a relevant comparison.

The TSSAA made their decision based on a misapplication of the rules not a judgment call.  On film the game was signaled as over, albeit incorrectly, the signal was given and the referees no longer had jurisdiction other than filing their reports.  The comparison to the Maryville/Whitehaven bad call is not a relevant comparison.

In this case two wrongs DOES make a right. Just for the record I believe that Bowers not coaching in the upcoming game would have been grossly unjust, but the game having been declared over was the only misapplication of a rule...if your going to review the play, review the whole play. If anything justified a reversal of an in game call, it was the call clearly not in compliance with a written rule, not the judgment call nullified by the incorrect call.

So, you're saying that after the referee has signaled the game over or an umpire calls the final out, that a coach or coaches may follow the referees or umpires off of the field and berate them?  Somehow, I don't feel like this is in the true spirit of high school athletics.

• 3 weeks later...

So, you're saying that after the referee has signaled the game over or an umpire calls the final out, that a coach or coaches may follow the referees or umpires off of the field and berate them?  Somehow, I don't feel like this is in the true spirit of high school athletics.

No, not what I was saying.  I agree with you that if what you described occurred, which it did not in this particular instance, it is not in the true spirit of high school athletics.  Regardless, the TSSAA has adopted new rules that would address the situation that you described above.  With the new rules it is clear how to move forward.