Henry County Vs. West

RunninRebels

So the fact that West has played a stronger schedule than Henry in both the regular season and the post season does not hold more water than spitting out rushing and passing stats?  Also keep in mind that other than Maryville whenever West has faced a top 10 opponent they have really stepped up big, I do not think this week will be any different

No, I think both are equally meaningless as it pertains to this game. Knox West will not be facing Henry County's schedule on Friday night. They will be facing Henry County.

I have absolutely no idea who will win this football game, but over the years I have learned that strength of schedule means pretty close to nothing when you actually have the talent and coaching to beat someone. I do enjoy numbers, but there are very few that I put much stock in under these circumstances. The bottom line is, both teams have won the vast majority of their games in dominant fashion. Everything after that is borderline fringe, almost to the point of semantics. It doesn't really matter that Henry County beat an 8 win team here and Knox West beat a 10 win team there. It doesn't really matter that Henry County's JV allowed a few late-game touchdowns. It doesn't really matter that Knox West lost to Maryville, and it certainly doesn't matter that so-and-so isn't ranked in the top 5,000 nationally. 

And I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just stating my opinion. This game, like any other, will come down to talent, coaching, execution, and mistakes. Both teams appear to have a lot of the former three, so it could easily come down to whoever makes the fewest mistakes. I'm personally expecting a phenomenal game, and all I'm hoping is that both teams stay injury free and that we bring home the gold. Go Big Red! 

I have wanted this matchup since August and I really didn't know if it would happen. West had to find a qb after Ryan Francis graduated and replace 5 of their front 7 on defense and their starting 3 wr's. I knew they had talent but young guys would have to step up and they have. I really am proud of this team win or lose and just to be one of 2 teams left standing in Class 5A is an honor. I respect Henry Co and their history as a program. This should be a great game and I'm so glad I get the opportunity to be in attendance.

Go West!

I have wanted this matchup since August and I really didn't know if it would happen. West had to find a qb after Ryan Francis graduated and replace 5 of their front 7 on defense and their starting 3 wr's. I knew they had talent but young guys would have to step up and they have. I really am proud of this team win or lose and just to be one of 2 teams left standing in Class 5A is an honor. I respect Henry Co and their history as a program. This should be a great game and I'm so glad I get the opportunity to be in attendance.

Go West!

Great Post WH4L. I too have been wondering if this would be the matchup, we had been hearing that Knox West is the best of the teams in the East. So now here we are. Two great teams, two great programs with history. How long has Knox West been built? Henry County came into existence in 1969-1970, following a long football tradition of Grove High School. Making it to this point is definitely an honor for both teams. Both teams made it here for a reason, and now we get to settle it on gridiron, that historic field of battle! Like many others on the boards have said, I think this game sets up to be the best one of all! Looking forward to it and good luck to you guys. Really hope for an injury free game and a high level of sportsmanship.

Go Big RED!!!

I'm picking West in this one for a number of reasons.

Seen them play twice and was impressed with their speed and overall team athleticism on both sides of the ball.  I also believe the quality of their schedule during the season and during post-season make them better-prepared for this contest.

It is also my belief that Henry Co doesn't/didn't play the quality of opponent through the season or in the playoffs to prepare them.  If they keep this close, I will be really surprised.

Hats off to both teams for making it to Cookeville, and Go West!

Great Post WH4L. I too have been wondering if this would be the matchup, we had been hearing that Knox West is the best of the teams in the East. So now here we are. Two great teams, two great programs with history. How long has Knox West been built? Henry County came into existence in 1969-1970, following a long football tradition of Grove High School. Making it to this point is definitely an honor for both teams. Both teams made it here for a reason, and now we get to settle it on gridiron, that historic field of battle! Like many others on the boards have said, I think this game sets up to be the best one of all! Looking forward to it and good luck to you guys. Really hope for an injury free game and a high level of sportsmanship.

Go Big RED!!!

+1... West was founded in 1951 but their football program had some very poor seasons over the years until 1994 when they reached the state semifinals and lost. Made the playoffs a handful of times after and lost pretty quickly until 2006 where they have made it every year except for 2009 (that team was close though). In 2010 the program took the next step with advancing 3 out of the last 4 years to the semifinals with this year being the first time they won that game and are now playing for their first state title.

This years West team is now known as the best in school history with a 13-1 record. Prior to this year it was 1994 w an 11-3 record followed by the 2010 and 2011 teams that finished 11-3 respectively.

Here's hoping to a great and injury free game as well.

Go West!

So from what I have read on this post.. henry county by far is the underdog in this game! Henry county has the best coaching staff i have seen all season long! Look for henry county to make great adjustments to "the veer"!! I look for this to be a great football game from both teams! Good luck to both teams and hope for an injury free game!!