No Privates Left in Playoffs

slimshady

Even with opened zone public schools you won't see many kids moving around to play sports because publics have nothing to offer. Privates have everything to offer, mainly free tuition.

I guess you haven't been to Blount County lately, if you believe Alcoa or Maryville gets all their football talent from in zone kids then you need to get your head out of the sand.   

The difference is private schools are completely zone free, and by and large are filled with students who not only plan to graduate but also attend college. That kind of high achievement carries over to sports. Even with a higher enrollment a public school might have fewer who are willing to put in that work to even be eligible and then to excel.

The difference is private schools are completely zone free, and by and large are filled with students who not only plan to graduate but also attend college. That kind of high achievement carries over to sports. Even with a higher enrollment a public school might have fewer who are willing to put in that work to even be eligible and then to excel.

It equals out with the great kid who can't afford private school.

It can't equal out at all when the public school has all types. If you go just by numbers the average private school should not be able to stay on the field with most 1A and 2A teams but that is clearlynot the case. They can get more out of their student body as a whole. Some exceptions exist like South Pittsburg in football but that does not cancel out the argument.

Edited by Indian

Most reasons have nothing to do with sports Pujo, a little disappointing to see u so blind on that!!

Never even mentioned sports Skydogg. People go the private route for several different reasons.It can be a combination of things and sports can be right in the mix.Just a question ,but do you think Grace is spending all that money on all the sports facilities to entice kids for christianity, it sorta looks to me like they are in stiff competition for atheletes. They hire Oneida,s head coach and his job is 5 periods of freshman strength and conitioning and assistant football coach. They also have another guru in the field of atheletic training. I've heard he's a pretty good one.My kid has a full day of schooling, leaves school and goes to phyical therapy, comes straight back and does his condictioning and weight training on his own, We would be extremely fortunate to have 5 kids who would even think about such a thing.We also have lots of kids who could be good students,fine ball players, but its easier to be an underachiever ,go home and play games or just run the roads and do whatever. Whatever can be alot of things. Its usually not anything that will make um rich and famous. Now if all our kids had highly dedicated parents, we'd be somewhat like the privates, but even at that we wouldn't have near the facilities or classes with structured workouts for all of our kids. Its just 2 different worlds and the privates can outdo the small rural publics in everything from education to atheletics..Now you said I was blind but before you post again, I'd like you to ponder and give this post a little thought. It could be you thats blind.

It equals out with the great kid who can't afford private school.

If that's where the road ended then it would be fine. The real problem is the ones that can't afford it but are there & playing varsity sports anyway. I'm not accusing Boyd, or any specific school for that matter, of this but as long as tuition is involved this will always be a possibility for all private schools & some will not resist the urge to win by any means necessary. Might be football or scholars bowl, doesn't really matter. Then you look at the ability of private schools to set their own pay scales for teachers / coaches, put in any kind of class (mandatory strength & conditioning for example), the ability to hire anyone they want to "teach" regardless of certification or educational background, head coaches that don't have to teach, assistant coaches that "team teach" classes with other members of the coaching staff. The multitude of ways a private school can hire who they want (sometimes players included), adjust school related work load on staff, ability to set mandatory classes that are athletically beneficial, not to mention facilities and equipment to draw other players in and its apples & oranges. I fully understand not ALL private schools do all or any of these things but the fact remains as long as they play in D1 the possibility is going to be there. As long as it's there SOME will exploit it.

Edited by crow

If that's where the road ended then it would be fine. The real problem is the ones that can't afford it but are there & playing varsity sports anyway. I'm not accusing Boyd, or any specific school for that matter, of this but as long as tuition is involved this will always be a possibility for all private schools & some will not resist the urge to win by any means necessary. Might be football or scholars bowl, doesn't really matter. Then you look at the ability of private schools to set their own pay scales for teachers / coaches, put in any kind of class (mandatory strength & conditioning for example), the ability to hire anyone they want to "teach" regardless of certification or educational background, head coaches that don't have to teach, assistant coaches that "team teach" classes with other members of the coaching staff. The multitude of ways a private school can hire who they want (sometimes players included), adjust school related work load on staff, ability to set mandatory classes that are athletically beneficial, not to mention facilities and equipment to draw other players in and its apples & oranges. I fully understand not ALL private schools do all or any of these things but the fact remains as long as they play in D1 the possibility is going to be there. As long as it's there SOME will exploit it.

You make good points but to be blind to what public schools are doing to get kids to play there is also paying. I know of public schools who give parents jobs, pay rent for apartments, and feed kids...that is not tuition but is pay...again i have coached on both sides and will always tell it from both sides, so to just hammer privates for this IMO is shortsighted....as far as all the stuff you claim privates do, I can tell you one that doesn't and I am proud to be part of that body!!

Never even mentioned sports Skydogg. People go the private route for several different reasons.It can be a combination of things and sports can be right in the mix.Just a question ,but do you think Grace is spending all that money on all the sports facilities to entice kids for christianity, it sorta looks to me like they are in stiff competition for atheletes. They hire Oneida,s head coach and his job is 5 periods of freshman strength and conitioning and assistant football coach. They also have another guru in the field of atheletic training. I've heard he's a pretty good one.My kid has a full day of schooling, leaves school and goes to phyical therapy, comes straight back and does his condictioning and weight training on his own, We would be extremely fortunate to have 5 kids who would even think about such a thing.We also have lots of kids who could be good students,fine ball players, but its easier to be an underachiever ,go home and play games or just run the roads and do whatever. Whatever can be alot of things. Its usually not anything that will make um rich and famous. Now if all our kids had highly dedicated parents, we'd be somewhat like the privates, but even at that we wouldn't have near the facilities or classes with structured workouts for all of our kids. Its just 2 different worlds and the privates can outdo the small rural publics in everything from education to atheletics..Now you said I was blind but before you post again, I'd like you to ponder and give this post a little thought. It could be you thats blind.

Sounds like you have been driven to your thought process by one school...Pujo I would ;love for you to walk our campus for a month and work with us and then you may be on here saying wow had no idea that most of what I was saying was because of one school and alot of this doesnt apply to most privates...we have a private school in town who still uses one field for 5 different sports....at Boyd we could use a new all purpose field, new gym, lights for our baseball and softball field, irrigation system across the board, a track, tennis courts, and even more academic stuff...but we do it the right way, so if you want to lump all privates together go ahead but its just not true!!

You make good points but to be blind to what public schools are doing to get kids to play there is also paying. I know of public schools who give parents jobs, pay rent for apartments, and feed kids...that is not tuition but is pay...again i have coached on both sides and will always tell it from both sides, so to just hammer privates for this IMO is shortsighted....as far as all the stuff you claim privates do, I can tell you one that doesn't and I am proud to be part of that body!!

I don't doubt that for a minute, I've always said I believe Boyd runs a good program and does things the right way, they may have me fooled but I don't think so. I'm a fan of Boyd, doesn't mean I agree with them in D1, but I do feel y'all do it legit. The issue I have with, let's say Boyd, is even though they aren't breaking any rules all it takes is someone in the right position at the school to be replaced with someone that does decide to do that sort of thing and there you go. It would be almost impossible for someone to know, let alone prove if some "program supporter" were to give someone a little cash and let the parent pay the tuition. Heck it may be going on now and no one at the school or in the program even know. My point being is tuition is something that has monetary value and can be manipulated to entice enrollment. Maybe not even by the school, if I own a business and hire Johnny Football's dad to move where ever and bring Jr. along and just so happens his Christmas bonus is the exact amount as tuition, how in the world would someone ever prove that?

As for the public issues, I'm sure that goes on as well, it needs to be reported. Any public caught IMO should be given a 2 year mandatory suspension of varsity sports (yes sports, not just football) then be forced to play in D2 for the remainder of the reclassification period. If the reclassification period is less than 2 years then finish the current and the complete next reclassification period in D2. This junk is out of hand and the hammer needs to fall. I'm not so "short sighted", as you say, to believe "inappropriate benefit" violations only live in the land of private school. Tuition and all the other liberties that privates enjoy are just even more ways to do that. All things being equal and public's and private's alike are hiring parents or renting houses for them, tuition and the like are still an advantage public schools just don't have. In other words, sure we're all cheating but you have more ways to cheat so it's still not a level field. Just my thoughts.

No hater but a school that has 250 students and are contenders year in year out smells a little fishy.

What do you think privates smell like. Most all of them that play in 1A and 2A have less than 250 students and they are competitive year in year out. They outnumber the publics in the semifinals almost every year yet they only makeup about 10% of the schools that play football!

Sounds like you have been driven to your thought process by one school...Pujo I would ;love for you to walk our campus for a month and work with us and then you may be on here saying wow had no idea that most of what I was saying was because of one school and alot of this doesnt apply to most privates...we have a private school in town who still uses one field for 5 different sports....at Boyd we could use a new all purpose field, new gym, lights for our baseball and softball field, irrigation system across the board, a track, tennis courts, and even more academic stuff...but we do it the right way, so if you want to lump all privates together go ahead but its just not true!!

It may sound like its about one school, but I've been around this for many years. In 1a we used to have CPA,DCA, FRA,USJ  and a slew of others. Some played by the rules and some didn't. It got to the point that one of them were winning the state every single year, the winner usually had to knock off the second best team and it was private also. Out of all the more competitive privates that we now have, Boyd is about the only one that could compete with the others. I used to think it was all about recruiting, but me and many others were sorta ignorant to what was really going on. Yeah they did get a few good atheletes to transfer in ,but it really had a ton to do with the structure of these schools. You really have to go back to the BA thing. Private schools learned a formula for success and took advantage of it. Not nearly all private schools went to the extreme of the others and the ones that didn't couldnt beat Tom Thumb. Grace is just the new bully on the block and they are heck bent,  But really any private with money and the desire to build a powerhouse can and they will. You just need to do a little research and you'll know exactly where I'm coming from. Trust me. I'm well educated on the subject.