Wing T Offense is Not a 6a State Title Offense.

64NB95

Will you support your team if they ever end up running this offense? I actually prefer an up tempo spread offense myself but also know that you can win with a wing-t offense or any other offense as long as you have a great defense and special teams. Coach R. Perry's wing-t scored many of points but was lacking a solid defense to win it all.

It has been tried at Gallatin the last year of Joslin's regime and the 1st year of Lassister's coaching stint. Both met with moderate success and fan disapproval. For whatever reason, it was abandoned and I attended every game. I do not like it period!! When Joslin was Gallatin's defensive coordinator he did what everybody says not to do and blitz the fire out of it. He got burnt once or twice but mostly he disrupted the motion and had someone in the backfield while the QB was trying to hand off. Back then Gallatin did run a 50 defense and very few teams pass like they do now. I just think that good teams have defenses that stay at home and can scheme the wing-t. It is just not my favorite and it does not win championships at the upper level in Tenn.

Any true Green Wave fan will support the Wave no matter what is ran. That being said, I doubt and don't see that happening in my lifetime.

It seems to be the trend that many good Wing-T teams at the large schools in Tennessee do not have the defense to win at the highest level as well.

Can a Wing-T team win at the highest level in Tennessee high school football? Sure but it has not happened yet. I guess we could spend more time over analyzing this to maybe even see how many teams utilize the offense in Georgia vs. Tennessee or another state and how they have fared in the state championships or even playoffs. Does not matter.

Is the Wing-T the reason Hendersonville lost the championship? No, Maryville was. Hendersonville got to the championship due to running the Wing-T well and having played some timely defense in the playoffs. They were a very good team this year but, not expected to be there. They did not play well in the championship game and not just because Maryville did.       

Very well stated

It has been tried at Gallatin the last year of Joslin's regime and the 1st year of Lassister's coaching stint. Both met with moderate success and fan disapproval. For whatever reason, it was abandoned and I attended every game. I do not like it period!! When Joslin was Gallatin's defensive coordinator he did what everybody says not to do and blitz the fire out of it. He got burnt once or twice but mostly he disrupted the motion and had someone in the backfield while the QB was trying to hand off. Back then Gallatin did run a 50 defense and very few teams pass like they do now. I just think that good teams have defenses that stay at home and can scheme the wing-t. It is just not my favorite and it does not win championships at the upper level in Tenn.

Yea, Lassister said Gallatin will never run the Wing-T again. What does Joslin use at JPII?

All three of these guys have attended coaching clinics with Herschel Moore. Herschel was the best at it. The sweeps jet and rocket were coined by Coach Moore.

Wes Elrod was mentored by Moore and has this website:  http://jetsweep.com/forums/

I think you will see Coach Hatfield continue to develop his "Hybrid" T at Hendersonville adding more read option and passing in the T with the strong arm of his QB Elston. They may return to see Maryville again with a better team next year.

Hendersonville with a good passing game would be dangerous. I still think with any offense you have to have balance.

• Upvote 1

I played in the wing t in hs. My senior year we had 2 1000 yard backs and our qb threw for over 1500. The truth is, any offense, when executed correctly, can be successful. A previous poster mentioned the success in Georgia with the wing t and that is an excellent point. I personally think that the spread allows you to adjust for your players better and provides more balance whereas the wing t depends more on the run game. But I feel like as long as you have strong athletes and they understand your system and execute consistently you can win. In the end, maryville could've ran the power I, the run n shoot, and everything in between and they would've won state. The same with Alcoa and Fulton. Superior coaching and superior athletes with a tradition of excellence. X's and O's come way after.

Looks like Vad Lee for Georgia Tech doesn't want to run the wing-t anymore. He probably realized it wasn't going to take him to the next level. Same thing 5A and 6A schools should realize.

You cant run an offense that you do not know how to run. Alot of great coaches run the wing-t, and at those same programs they probably dont have even close to the kind of success running a pro-style offense. Roger Perry and Bruce Hatfield are two of the best coaches this state has to offer, and they run the Wing-T. Prior to Coach Perry, Mount Juliet was a pretty mediocre program, same goes for Bruce Hatfield at Hendersonville and Ron Aydellot at Hillsboro. But as a previous poster mentioned, it takes more than offense to win a championship, some strong defense, and a bit of good luck