Early predictions for 8-AA 2014

Being good at playing or who you played with doesn't make you know the game. Most good coaches were average players. I wouldn't want PacMan as my teams head coach. But I have seen every team in this district, except Cannon, play and most several times verse diffrent teams. I like going to scrimmages also and seeiing them. It is diffrent when you see just one team and who they have on the schedule. It would be like watching SC verse Alcoa, and then UH verse Alcoa if SC/UH never played. You could argue SC had the better team. When in fact the games each played verse DC,MC, and Tyner at close to the same time in schedule told a diffrent story. Reading scores in the paper rather than see the teams is a big difference. Alcoa was much more impressive in person than the scores in the paper indicated. I will be the first to admit that.

Being a good coach is about communication and how you communicate the plan with your players and if they understand. If they do not understand something has to change. The thing about Alcoa is those kids eat sleep breathe drink think football. I know cause I worked their for a couple years. Yes they have some special guys, but for the most part they are regular ole joes like around the UC, but their mentality is different they have an expectation to be in the title game every year. Whereas it's a goal for the UC teams.

Being a good coach is about communication and how you communicate the plan with your players and if they understand. If they do not understand something has to change. The thing about Alcoa is those kids eat sleep breathe drink think football. I know cause I worked their for a couple years. Yes they have some special guys, but for the most part they are regular ole joes like around the UC, but their mentality is different they have an expectation to be in the title game every year. Whereas it's a goal for the UC teams.

I agree for the most part. Alcoa reminds me of Trousdale Co, one classification higher. Its expected, not tried for. I think the biggest thing around here is overall speed. Compare Coach Pembertons record at Knox Cath, then Macon, and the Brentwood and Reah Co. Those programs all had more tradition than Macon I give you that. But they also had more talent to work with. SC has some of the strongest tradition in 3a, some years has 90+ on the team. Still they can't match the talent level of an Alcoa year to year. Couldn't even when Rankin was there. And yes 90% of the Joe's in Alcoa are just like the Joe's around here. But that other 10% seperates them. And the fact that their Joe's practice verse that talent and speed day in and day out. You put Ben Herron, Trapp, or Lamb at Knx Fulton this year and they still win state. Tradition has a part in it,but its only 1/3 the of it. Coaching and talent are the other parts. UT is a prime example of what happen when you have coaching, tradition, but lack in talent. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I agree for the most part. Alcoa reminds me of Trousdale Co, one classification higher. Its expected, not tried for. I think the biggest thing around here is overall speed. Compare Coach Pembertons record at Knox Cath, then Macon, and the Brentwood and Reah Co. Those programs all had more tradition than Macon I give you that. But they also had more talent to work with. SC has some of the strongest tradition in 3a, some years has 90+ on the team. Still they can't match the talent level of an Alcoa year to year. Couldn't even when Rankin was there. And yes 90% of the Joe's in Alcoa are just like the Joe's around here. But that other 10% seperates them. And the fact that their Joe's practice verse that talent and speed day in and day out. You put Ben Herron, Trapp, or Lamb at Knx Fulton this year and they still win state. Tradition has a part in it,but its only 1/3 the of it. Coaching and talent are the other parts. UT is a prime example of what happen when you have coaching, tradition, but lack in talent.

I will give you Trapp and Lamb, but I don't think Herron is that good of a coach. I think he won with supremely talented team this year that he had for four years. He had one good year of coaching. He still has a losing record. I think he should be graded on how he does with less talented teams. Let's see if he can make the playoffs year in and year out.

I will give you Trapp and Lamb, but I don't think Herron is that good of a coach. I think he won with supremely talented team this year that he had for four years. He had one good year of coaching. He still has a losing record. I think he should be graded on how he does with less talented teams. Let's see if he can make the playoffs year in and year out.

Coach Trapp technically still has a losing record as well. Ever since he has got the ball rolling though, he has proven that he can keep us competitive year in and year out. After this groundbreaking year for Herron and Upperman we will have to see if he can still keep things rolling.

5-6 2011, 4-6 2012 (York and Ely hurt) and 13-1 2013. 22-13 as head coach unless I missed something. This coming off back to back 1-9 seasons he inherited. I am not sure he is a top level coach yet, but the program is better now then when he arrived. That has to count for something.

5-6 2011, 4-6 2012 (York and Ely hurt) and 13-1 2013. 22-13 as head coach unless I missed something. This coming off back to back 1-9 seasons he inherited. I am not sure he is a top level coach yet, but the program is better now then when he arrived. That has to count for something.[/quote Coach Herron seems to be able to get more kids interested in joining the team which is half the battle. The other half comes with experience.

5-6 2011, 4-6 2012 (York and Ely hurt) and 13-1 2013. 22-13 as head coach unless I missed something. This coming off back to back 1-9 seasons he inherited. I am not sure he is a top level coach yet, but the program is better now then when he arrived. That has to count for something.[/quote Coach Herron seems to be able to get more kids interested in joining the team which is half the battle. The other half comes with experience.

That is a good thing that he is able to do. Like I have always said if he can flip some of those baseball and basketball players to come play they could compete with everybody else in the district year in and year out. Instead of having a glory year every 20 years.

ame="crow6424" post="3111611" timestamp="1386897645"]

That is a good thing that he is able to do. Like I have always said if he can flip some of those baseball and basketball players to come play they could compete with everybody else in the district year in and year out. Instead of having a glory year every 20 years.

agree....i have heard there were several basketball kids on the football team this year.

I am anxious to see how much Jennings can improve from year one to year two. Coach Trapp is great at developing qbs. Poteete and Phillips both made great strides in year two.

I have a good feeling about Jennings and DC in years to come. If I was a reciever in that area I would be doing everything I could do to get better cause Jennings will make you famous if you know what I mean.

I am anxious to see how much Jennings can improve from year one to year two. Coach Trapp is great at developing qbs. Poteete and Phillips both made great strides in year two.

just wondering if Trapp will tweak the offense to fit him? He is not the runner that Poteete or Phillipss were but could have the best arm.

just wondering if Trapp will tweak the offense to fit him? He is not the runner that Poteete or Phillipss were but could have the best arm. Any know who the U qb will be next year?