High School Volleyball Or Not?

bigbluevolley

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that our coach didn't teach the girls much of anything. I think in some instances High School volleyball can help you and in some, it can hurt. I don't think you can make a blanket statement and say all are good or all are bad. Each high school is different. When we get some thoughts on this from others i will elaborate.

We have had concerns about playing for our high school too, but it is a lot of court time to miss if you dont play.  I think if the player stays in the gym and works out and keeps skills going, then maybe it wont be too bad for her, but that take disipline.  If she ends up sitting around a lot during the high school season and not staying on top of things, she will get out of shape pretty quickly.

If she is having emotional problems at high school (being belittled, told she cant do anything right, etc.) then maybe its best to not play (that can have long lasting ramifications).  But if its just because the high school teams sucks, I say go ahead and play.  At least your seeing some court time. 

Most of us in the volleyball community have sub par coaches for high school (even club sometimes), thats just the fact.  We cant all move to the best volleyball schools just because of volleyball.  We need to make the best of it and move on.

What I would love to hear is from some former high school players and/or parents about how important they think volleyball in high school and club are now that they are done playing.  I think we put a lot more importance on it than it really needs to be.  Once the young lady is 22, 25, 30, then how important was it that her team was well coached and went to state, or her club played all the best tournaments in the country, or they sucked but had fun, etc.